Pics From Today's Junkyard Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics From Today's Junkyard Trip

I have mentioned this yard has some cool stuff. Today, I wasn't in such a rush so I took some pics of what I have been talking about.

First, every yard you're in you see some bizarre fixes. I liked this one on what once once an expensive Town & Country minivan. This is the driver's door.

Hot rodders like Buick's old giant finned aluminum brake drums. This early '60's Electra had the full set up.

In the early '90's, one of the few interesting sedans being built was the Pontiac Bonneville SSEi. They had the supercharged 3.8 ltr V6. I swear this one could've been driven out of there. Beyond the crap repaint, it was complete down to it's 16" snowflakes wheels and rust free.

Any young hot rodder who had a car in the '70's or '80's probably had these on their car. Gabriel HiJackers air shocks allowed for super wide back tires, cool stink bug stance, and really shitty ride.

A '64 Buick Riviera still had a complete 401 nail head in it.

It's finned aluminum drums looked pretty bad, like it was dragged with no tires on it.

There were two '61 Pontiac Tempests in the yard. One coupe, one wagon. Both still had the half of a 389 four banger and transaxles.

Here's that four cylinder that looks like someone took a chop saw to a 389.

This is the transaxle on those Pontiacs. Both an automatics. Interestingly, these cars also had independent rear suspension too. I like the torque converter sitting out the back.

Another Pontiac in the lot had this OHC Sprint six cylinder. It was pretty much complete. This one is the lower horsepower 1 bbl version.I think the car was a '67 Tempest.

The cool cast aluminum valve cover on that Poncho sixer.

A giant '58 Buick sedan had this totally complete nail head.

I really liked the dashboard of pre War American cars like this one on what I believe was a '41 Chrysler sedan. Very art deco. Even like the dash mounted radio speaker.

Check out the cool font on the speedometer on that Chrysler.

An '80 Chevy pickup truck had this engine in it. Very curious. I am not an expert on BOP V8's but it looked like a Pontiac or an Olds. At first I thought it was an Olds 350 diesel until I saw it had spark plugs. The emissions decal on the radiator support said it was a 5.7 ltr. I took a pic of the the truck's VIN number for those who want to investigate.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Sprints were only with a 4bbl Just an OHC six without.

Those Tempest engines and trans axles always amazed me.

That's an Old's engine in the truck for sure.

That Chrysler speedo is wild on how the 100-120 are printed in the reverse direction of 0 - 90.

Miss your pictures around here.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Rivera has the 425 or 430.. I'm thinking 430 because valve covers do not match nailhead style.. Miss your pics around here!

Comment

I would love that dash out of the 41 chrysler, you interested in pulling it out ?
        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

It was pretty common to swap a gas Olds engine into the diesel powered pickups back in the 80s.

Nice pics of the tempest...we were talking about them a few weeks ago.

The Riv engine is probably a 425. the 430 looks like a 455, and that's a nailhead in the picture.

We miss your pictures around here
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The 5th pic is not a nailhead... The one further down in the 58 is..

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
              I would love that dash out of the 41 chrysler, you interested in pulling it out ?
              That's cool, but on the speedo, odds are 120 mph was only a wish......well, not with me in it at least. With cotton bias tires? Nope.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                That's cool, but on the speedo, odds are 120 mph was only a wish......well, not with me in it at least. With cotton bias tires? Nope.
                100-140 was not uncommon for those cars on a downhill.. Dad had a 50's some Pontiac, his buddy was driving mom's 55 Crown Vic.. The Pontiac whipped the Ford.. Straight 8... Had the light up injun on the hood.. I glanced over..110 mph..

Comment

the 3800 s/c series II & III are huge swaps into fiero's..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    The 5th pic is not a nailhead... The one further down in the 58 is..
                    really? why does it have nailhead valve covers? etc.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                      really? why does it have nailhead valve covers? etc.
                      x2. Scott correctly identifies both Nailheads.

Comment

Planning to hit up the Omaha Autorama in a couple of weeks.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                          Rivera has the 425 or 430.. I'm thinking 430 because valve covers do not match nailhead style.. Miss your pics around here!
                          The 430 didn't come along until 1967 and it was the same family as the 400 and 455. It could be a 425 nail head, but who cares.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Guess you guys see something I don't.. Looks like the valve covers do not sit flat like a nailhead to me.. While the Older Buick's does..

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                              Planning to hit up the Omaha Autorama in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X