Seattle People in Here, I have questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle People in Here, I have questions

My wife and I are looking into relocating to the PNW, and will probably end up in Seattle. We'll be renting a house or condo in the Belltown, Queen Anne, Lake Union Areas. I would like to know how and where you work on your project cars. I have a relatively slow POS 1971 camaro that I'll be restoring back to a street car, and can't find a lot of information on how cityslickers get it done. I'll also more than likely be building an FIA spec rally car once out there, So space for 2 cars would be a plus. What are my options. Thanks!

Will we see more of you at Bonneville?

Obviously I'm of no help on your question but I wish you two the best of luck.

Dan

Comment

Considering I've never been, and its a 12hr drive. More then likely. Can't believe no one has anything...

Comment

Weather sucks, and like most cities, if you've got a fair amount of cash to work with you can rent/purchase and large enough place with a 2 or 3 car garage at minimum. Watch for HOA's.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

How long did you live there? We'd be living in the city, not in the burbs so the HOA thing is moot. I hate HOA's tho

Comment

Originally posted by greenjunk View Post
            My wife and I are looking into relocating to the PNW, and will probably end up in Seattle. We'll be renting a house or condo in the Belltown, Queen Anne, Lake Union Areas. I would like to know how and where you work on your project cars. I have a relatively slow POS 1971 camaro that I'll be restoring back to a street car, and can't find a lot of information on how cityslickers get it done. I'll also more than likely be building an FIA spec rally car once out there, So space for 2 cars would be a plus. What are my options. Thanks!
            Why rent in the city? A 20 minute commute will put you in a nice 3 bedroom with a garage for less than renting a small condo in the city. Look at Mountlake, Lynnwood, Kent, the outskirts of Renton, Bellevue/Kirkland, etc.

Granted, that 20 mins can turn into hours if the time and conditions are right. Seattle's freeway system sucks.
            1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
            1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Why? Are you moving to Seattle I mean. It rains. I mean it Raaiiins! I spent 2 years there one month. I had moss on my North side and webbed feet when I left. And what the guy said about the freeway system? He was way to generios. 20 minute drives take at least an hour and a half. Well any way I've been absoulty no help sorry

Comment

My Grand Parents lived there until their passing and I still have an Aunt and Uncle in the area. Spent a week here a week there in the Seattle-Tacoma area. If you are set to be in the middle of the city, then I wouldn't expect to get much room to work.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post

Why rent in the city? A 20 minute commute will put you in a nice 3 bedroom with a garage for less than renting a small condo in the city. Look at Mountlake, Lynnwood, Kent, the outskirts of Renton, Bellevue/Kirkland, etc.

Granted, that 20 mins can turn into hours if the time and conditions are right. Seattle's freeway system sucks.
                  The whole purpose of us moving across the country from the burbs is to live in the city, not drive a whole lot. With that said I'd like to rent space outside of the city for my weekend projects. Such as warehouse industrial districts. I just was hoping someone else here does it and can lend some advice.

I KNOW IT RAINS THERE!. I'm over the humidity in NC, the 95* days, the temps in the 20's in the winter. When it rains here, it pours, and its been doing that for the last year. Don't get me started with the culture. We're going to try it for at least 2 yrs, we can always come back if we hate it.

Comment

rent a shop in Ballard or Bellevue. Both are relatively easy commutes from Queen Anne or Belltown. Belltown, especially, has no space for anything other than a prius and a coffee shop. Queen Anne - it just depends on how much you want to spend. Last I heard, rents were 5,000 a month in Queen Anne for anything decent.
                    If you're doing FIA stuff, Auburn would be a better place for a shop because Pacific Raceway is just outside it - and all the related businesses are in Auburn (machine shops, etc). Granted, Auburn is a good 20 minutes in no traffic to hour(s) in bad traffic - so YMMV. Problem with Belltown and Queen Anne right now, is it's a long way to a highway or freeway, so travel in anything but bus or bike is pretty challenging.
                    As for industrial areas - Queen Anne faces south, everything north and west of Queen Anne is industrial until you get to the very NW tip which is houses again

Warehouse districts, like your envisioning, don't really exist here anymore - what's left is in Ballard (it's where the Dangerous Catch fleet ports)... if you want a warehouse district - Tacoma.
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 16, 2014, 03:53 PM.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Got it. Thats what I was looking for. So Pacific raceway is where to go if I'm going to rent a space. I'd be driving out on the weekend mornings. I've driven around there during non-rushhour and its very good. I'd never drive anywhere during rush hour. If you were to live in the city what area would you pick, that our next decision? My wife would end up working somewhere around the lake.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        rent a shop in Ballard or Bellevue. Both are relatively easy commutes from Queen Anne or Belltown. Belltown, especially, has no space for anything other than a prius and a coffee shop. Queen Anne - it just depends on how much you want to spend. Last I heard, rents were 5,000 a month in Queen Anne for anything decent.
                        If you're doing FIA stuff, Auburn would be a better place for a shop because Pacific Raceway is just outside it - and all the related businesses are in Auburn (machine shops, etc). Granted, Auburn is a good 20 minutes in no traffic to hour(s) in bad traffic - so YMMV. Problem with Belltown and Queen Anne right now, is it's a long way to a highway or freeway, so travel in anything but bus or bike is pretty challenging.
                        As for industrial areas - Queen Anne faces south, everything north and west of Queen Anne is industrial until you get to the very NW tip which is houses again

Warehouse districts, like your envisioning, don't really exist here anymore - what's left is in Ballard (it's where the Dangerous Catch fleet ports)... if you want a warehouse district - Tacoma.
                        Don't forget SODO, but you really, really, really don't want to live anywhere near SODO. But, if you get a condo in Queen Anne, you can walk/bike/take a bus to a rented shop in Ballard. Also, Queen Anne is not a cheap place to live. My wife and I take mini-vacations there once or twice a year.

Comment

Originally posted by GFogg View Post
                          Why? Are you moving to Seattle I mean. It rains. I mean it Raaiiins! I spent 2 years there one month. I had moss on my North side and webbed feet when I left. And what the guy said about the freeway system? He was way to generios. 20 minute drives take at least an hour and a half. Well any way I've been absoulty no help sorry
                          Rain? It doesn't rain here very often. It 'mists' all the time though. We have 4 seasons, rainy 1, summer, rainy 2, cold and damp. BTW, our summers are awesome although short. But, don't let anyone know. We don't need any more people here clogging up I-5, 405, 90, 99, etc.

Comment

yeah i'm well aware of the expense it is not a problem. We'll be there in May for a week and are going to look at some places. This is a 2 yr plan kind of thing. When I have time for fitness I'm an avid cyclist and have no problem bombing thru city traffic. Its one of the reasons why we want to move there. I haven't seen so many cyclist during rushour. I'm not a prius driver by any means. I'd rather just ride my bike 20min to work then be forced to sit in a car for 20min with no reasonable choices like NC.

Comment

most of the great biking is on the east side of the lake. I have no idea what you're used to, so to recommend, the only thing I'd say is avoid Belltown - to many addicts, potheads, panhandlers... it's where the police from other jurisdictions drop off their transients (nope, not joking at all).
                              As for commuting, it's not that terrible, grab a bus in Bellevue or at the east terminus of the 520 bridge and it's a no-muss, no fuss way of going downtown to work.

Other areas to avoid, Central district, everyone calls it by its initials "CD" or pronounce "seedy district" Also the entire area south of I-90 is tough neighborhoods. With that said, you might like west Seattle - there are a bunch of view properties (of the Puget Sound) and rents aren't too terrible because the morning commute on anything but the bus or bike will drive you bonkers.... and so far, there are no plans to fix it - but they are building some pretty good bike trails across the Port of Seattle...

Queen Anne is nice, but remember, every morning (in the cold) your first part of your commute will be down a steep hill (cold), and you'll always come home sweaty because that hill is tough.

Given the little I know you - West Seattle or Alki (pronounce AL ki) beach

drop me a line when you visit - maybe we can hit XXX (burgers) in Issaquah.
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 16, 2014, 08:47 PM.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X