Stage 1 Scott is still wasting time! my garage thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stage 1 Scott is still wasting time! my garage thread

This is a thread about your favorite parking space. Everyone should be familiar with the Garage Journal forum with the fabulous garages where the rich and famous keep their exotic trophy cars, but this thread is for the rest of us. Like many, I have a smallish (19x19) 2 car typical SoCal garage these days, but I am fortunate in I own a repair shop that affords me all the convenience of repairs with none of the heartaches of fitting jacks and presses and all the stuff needed for maintenance at home. I used to keep my cars and motorcycles in a splendid 40x25 4 stall home shop with a private office and 18 foot gate. I chose to give that up, along with the 50 year old/always needs something house attatched to the much newer shop when my divorce arrived. A close friend of mine who is a complete motorcycle and car guy has shown me how nice a typical home garage can be and I am working on my newest parking space now. I will update this thread with photos of my progress in my current place, where I will keep my 2 MINIs (for now). As an aside, I did land in a pretty cool condo in a lakeside community in westlake (electric motors and paddles only on the water tho). My old commute to the shop was 1.1 miles, now it is a grueling 2.2 miles!

Here are some progress pics of the 19x19 2 car garage in the condo I currently rent-by summer I will hopefully have it outfitted in a pleasing car guy style

as it was when I first rented it in sept, before the demise of my 67 Fairlane

Last week the various holes and bumps and bruises on the drywall were smoothed out and a coat of white was rolled on

Then I started installing Racedeck flooring. I have about 450 sq ft of Racedeck tile floor at my shop and they have proven incredibly durable, supporting jacks and stands when needed, and always easily cleaned. Since I will only be parking on them here, they should hold up very well and if I move they are easily removed and transported. Racedeck.com has a floor configurator to help you with the amount of tiles you actually need and there are many color options. While I am a red and black car person, I avoid a red and black floor for 2 reasons. The black tiles show dirt a lot more and they make a small space seem darker and smaller. The red and silver (platinum) theme with a black line inserted in this garage show up much brighter overall.

Tile squares are shipped 4 clipped together in 25 inch square boxes. A simple snap of your wrists/arms inward disengages them so you can seperate into piles.

After seperating, I began in my front right corner and worked out the first 3 rows, then slid that manageable section to the closed garage door to determine the "front" spacing. Like laminate flooring in a house, this is a "floating" floor and you usually have to cut the line of tiles at one wall. A table saw works best for this, I used my sabre saw and cut off saw but they were difficult to get a clean cut on. I will be moving my table saw here next week to finish the rear row, as I want cleaner cuts than I am getting
    It took me an average of 10 minutes per row to do these, with 2 people it goes much faster. Unfortunately my son is at his moms this week so I tackled it alone.

I have one row left before cutting around the step into the house and cutting one complete row at the garage rear wall. Table saw moves in tuesday, then I can cut precisely. You can rent a small bench top table saw from home depot, I happen to own a pretty nice large saw from 20 years of flipping houses and remodeling several of my own.

view from inside door-once you have the floor half done you can shift shelving, toolboxes etc onto the finished area to provide working space as you put down rows

Last edited by stage1scott; March 16, 2014, 08:57 PM.
    67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
    05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

very cool!
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Man I'd love to do that in my garage but will probably end up using one the floor paints with the speckles.......my garage is about the
      same size as yours........space challenged.

Looks great
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

This, is looking interesting, I as well have down sized. From a 2 and a half with a 36' x36' pole barn for all the outdoor tools go carts , Wheel Horse tractors, spare wheels tires, and parts cars, on 2 1/2 acres to a newer bigger house closer to work and the kids and grand kids on a postage stamp size lot. Plan is for half of it a shop and the other half the work/ GTA parking spot.Getting tired of making spots on the floor.
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I'm sorry to see the Fairlane gone (what a great car) but it seems like you're moving on as we all must. The floor looks great but I've opted for raw concrete and let the stains fall where they may (mostly under the hoist!). As an old guy, my 30x40 shop seems about right now with the mezzanine up and working. I really couldn't maintain any more (well, I don't actually maintain what I have......).

Dan

Comment

I have no ability to be neat so I it'll be a long long time before I do intentional man cave decorating.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Looks good! I am not a very orignized person, Now that I get so little shop time it really burns be up when I waste time looking for parts or tools. Tomorrow night I will be home alone, I think I will try to hang my peg board, and clean / orignize. I would rather sand on the 98 but in the long run I am sure cleaning up is the best use of time.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                I'm sorry to see the Fairlane gone (what a great car) but it seems like you're moving on as we all must. The floor looks great but I've opted for raw concrete and let the stains fall where they may (mostly under the hoist!). As an old guy, my 30x40 shop seems about right now with the mezzanine up and working. I really couldn't maintain any more (well, I don't actually maintain what I have......).

Dan
                my old 25x40 was another 1000 sq feet of cleaning/organizing/using that was replaced when I opened my repair shop. While I DO miss it some, I do NOT miss the continual headaches that 1950s pos house was!

Comment

Ok so I believe I left off whining about no table saw for clean cuts. Moved the saw and a tool box and a tool cart in here this week, and back to it. It occurred to me I would have to do something with the nasty old concrete step into the house first, though. There was a large build of of dirt and grease on the step, which was easily removed with a scrub of swimming pool (muriatic) acid. DO NOT try this if you are not familiar with it-I wore a mask and gloves, surrounded the step with an old bath towel then poured on a coating, let it set a minute and washed it with a wet terry towel then rinsed it with water. With a nice surface to work with, I applied 3 coats of red curb paint sourced from amazon.com for shop projects, then got to flooring.

The back row needed a cut on every piece and the step had to be cut around on the corner. In addition I had 5 pieces from the left wall side that I had not cut with my chop saw. This stuff went much faster with a real saw.

Some of the cut down scraps formed a perfect kick plate above the step, which I used some construction adhesive as well as hooking them under the step plate-that worked out slick

Comment

The best setup used fireproof carpet ...comfortable

Comment

This will help make the black outline make sense-with the tires lined up on the black tile, my two MINIs will fit in here perfectly with room to open the doors especially once the shelving is gone from the east wall. I am not sure what will happen someday when a MINI and a full size american car need to squeeze in, but I am am fairly certain something with GT500 or SRT8 emblems will live here eventually.

Last edited by stage1scott; March 21, 2014, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X