Seven Cars Hagerty Says to Buy NOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seven Cars Hagerty Says to Buy NOW!

If you haven’t noticed, the classic car market is hot right now. The formerly quiet entry level of the market is fully awake, and cars that formerly sailed under the radar are now commanding attention. Here are seven of our favorite new Ford Focus-priced classics that won’t be affordable for long:

Okay . .. I can see why they'd pick the '87 Grand National, the Gen II "Bandit" Trans-Am and a 427 C3 . . . but are the others really that good?

(BTW, I recall reading about '69-'72 Grand Prixs on a similar buy-it-now-or-be-sorry list several years ago, but the big price jump predicted has never come . . . .)

Happy Motoring!

I don't think its about them being "that good." I think its about which ones will most likely see significant gains in value.

I agree with the list.
    I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
      I don't think its about them being "that good." I think its about which ones will most likely see significant gains in value.

I agree with the list.
      I'm with you, very often value has more to do with desirability than quality or rarity.
      As stated, the future of what gets higher value will be decided by my genX friends as time marches on. That list has a few cars on it that I would love to own, ok, maybe all of 'em.
      Last edited by mike343sharpstick; March 18, 2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

the anti'd world of yahoo..
        what 3 acres of the world drives the fantasy anyway.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Finding a big block chrome bumper C3 Corvette for under $25,000 in decent shape is going to be hard to do.
          1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
          1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

I would think the AMG versions of the late '80's Benz 560s would be collectible now. Extremely fast for the time.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
              I would think the AMG versions of the late '80's Benz 560s would be collectible now. Extremely fast for the time.
              Yeah, the Hanmmer they called them.
              1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
              1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Glad there's nothing on that list I want lol. Well, maybe the GN. I brought one back from a 10 year slumber this past fall for a friend. Got it running and driving again and we took it out and had some fun with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post

I agree with the list.
                  Me too - I think all of these are going to be decent hits with collectors.

Comment

I wonder why the monte carlo and grand prix nascar aero coupe's are not on the list?
                    your kids can have their own racecar www.aasbd.org

Comment

I don't agree with the mercedes or the acura - but the rest, yep - especially the M3 (any vintage) because they are raced hard - so finding a good, unmolested example is tough.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by derbydad276 View Post
                        I wonder why the monte carlo and grand prix nascar aero coupe's are not on the list?
                        While they're certainly milestone collectibles, both the Monte Carlo SS Aero Coupe and the Pontiac 2+2 were saddled with fairly lo-po stock engines. And controversial "love-it-or-hate-it" styling . . . . Similarly, the G-body Hurst Olds/442 didn't make the list, even though they're arguably as attractive as a GN/Type-T Regal.

There are plenty of analogous examples of "near misses" in the overheated '60s muscle car market.

Comment

Originally posted by 38P View Post

While they're certainly milestone collectibles, both the Monte Carlo SS Aero Coupe and the Pontiac 2+2 were saddled with fairly lo-po stock engines. And controversial "love-it-or-hate-it" styling . . . . Similarly, the G-body Hurst Olds/442 didn't make the list, even though they're arguably as attractive as a GN/Type-T Regal.

There are plenty of analogous examples of "near misses" in the overheated '60s muscle car market.

have you seen the going prices for a clean Monty SS, or hurst olds or a 442 or even the Pontiac 2+2.. not the ones that need everything.. but clean extremely well cared for cars.. 15-25k is the norm.. Ya, the power wasn't there.. but they are nice riding/ handling cars.. that are not as ruff on you as a mustang or Camaro is..
                          also finding one with the original engine is going to be mighty hard.. and is why they will go up..
                          I see the 2004-6 gto as being the superbird of the 2nd hp wars.. just like the mopars, they where unloved when new..
                          The '84 vette will also be big.. because it's the first c4 and not many will still be packing the crossfire efi v8.. and like the fuel injection of the 60's that got yanked when they where backing newish.. they are worth a mint now.. will lightning strike twice...

The SVO mustang will also be huge, and the fastest 3.8 ltr turbo car will be big and it wears a Pontiac badge..
                          The super coupe t-bird 86-88 will also be a biggie...

Many on that list are to much money... the Honda really has never been cheap.. the 1977 t/a has been big money for a good 10 years now.. a clean one is 20k+
                          The M/B and BMW.. won't be, because the people that clamor over them, can afford the newest better/faster/etc model that smokes the older ones.. so those that would be in that market.. will just buy the newer models, same can be said for 85 up vettes, the 85-mid 90's will be tomorrows hot rods, as they will always be cheap.. as the ones with ls power smoke them in everyway..
                          I also see the LSC (late 80's-early 90's) as being big.. they just look fast.. mopars mid to late 80's lebaron coupe with hidden headlights and 2.2 turbo II power will also be big.. but not with those that grew up with them.. the kids that built up fwd imports, will go for this as it has nice luxury apointments and the drivetrain layout they are used to.. a fwd turbo 4, and are not a bad looking car.. the mercury merkur will also get some love,, as it's just odd enough.. to fill that void

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post

The SVO mustang will also be huge, and the fastest 3.8 ltr turbo car will be big and it wears a Pontiac badge..
                            The super coupe t-bird 86-88 will also be a biggie...

the mercury merkur will also get some love,, as it's just odd enough.. to fill that void
                            Oh for it to be true!!

But sadly no.
                            I'm still learning

Comment

Working...
                            X