New Lift Pump Is In Place And Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Lift Pump Is In Place And Working

The Dodge/Cummins get fuel from the tank to the injection pump with an electric lift pump mounted on the side of the engine. These are sort of an Achillies heel on the Dodge but several aftermarket companies have come up with better pumps to solve the issue.

Mine was failing (evidenced by falling fuel pressure even with a new filter - and an intermittent inability to accelerate) so I ordered up a Fass upgrade pump which arrived yesterday. The pump looked excellent and the kit was very complete including an inlet filter which is missing in the factory set-up - and it's American made.

So everything looked straightforward and I tackled the installation. That's when I encountered the instruction manual which evidently was written by one of the great American fiction writers. The pump is hidden under the brake master and a bunch of other junk and there was no mention of how to dig the offending junk out of the way to allow access to the working area. In fact, they didn't even mention that there might be stuff in the way. It turns out that you have to unbolt the filter assembly and move it to the side and you better have a tool selection as vast as mine before attempting this install - and a hoist doesn't hurt either.

So their "1/2 hour" installation took about 7 hours - and MAN am I stiff! I used all of my 60+ years of mechanic tricks to get that sucker in there. Granted I could do a second one in 1/3 of the time but a decent manual could have warded off many of the unnecessary back-tracks that were required to get this sucker (literally) in place. I now have 16-17 PSI of fuel pressure which is more than I ever had.

All in all, I can recommend the pump but not the manual. If you know anyone who needs to do this installation Email me and I can steer them in the right direction.

Dan

We've done a couple of Aeromotive A1000's on beefed up 12 Valves and 24 Valves. The FASS stuff, especially the inline filters, are usually pretty decent stuff. But at least your rolling down the road again Dan.

Comment

I did have a small leak but all is better now. Also I somehow broke a brittle vacuum line for the cruise control but again now all better. After the leak was fixed I actually gained some fuel pressure and it idles at 19/20 and I've seen 22 briefly. At WO it never dips below 13 and I was seeing as low as 5 - NOT sufficient. I really wanted to get this sorted as I'm heading for Georgia this weekend for an Avanti thrash - more to come on that.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        The Dodge/Cummins get fuel from the tank to the injection pump with an electric lift pump mounted on the side of the engine. These are sort of an Achillies heel on the Dodge but several aftermarket companies have come up with better pumps to solve the issue.

Mine was failing (evidenced by falling fuel pressure even with a new filter - and an intermittent inability to accelerate) so I ordered up a Fass upgrade pump which arrived yesterday. The pump looked excellent and the kit was very complete including an inlet filter which is missing in the factory set-up - and it's American made.

So everything looked straightforward and I tackled the installation. That's when I encountered the instruction manual which evidently was written by one of the great American fiction writers. The pump is hidden under the brake master and a bunch of other junk and there was no mention of how to dig the offending junk out of the way to allow access to the working area. In fact, they didn't even mention that there might be stuff in the way. It turns out that you have to unbolt the filter assembly and move it to the side and you better have a tool selection as vast as mine before attempting this install - and a hoist doesn't hurt either.

So their "1/2 hour" installation took about 7 hours - and MAN am I stiff! I used all of my 60+ years of mechanic tricks to get that sucker in there. Granted I could do a second one in 1/3 of the time but a decent manual could have warded off many of the unnecessary back-tracks that were required to get this sucker (literally) in place. I now have 16-17 PSI of fuel pressure which is more than I ever had.

All in all, I can recommend the pump but not the manual. If you know anyone who needs to do this installation Email me and I can steer them in the right direction.

Dan
        Dan I think they expect the end user to have a manual (or all data) to get the R&R (remove and replace) order of operations..

Comment

Actually, when I called them for some tech support the guy said that the manual was supposed to be complete but was written by "some woman in the office" and not by one of the techs who had actually done the job. I suggested that the guy I was talking to rewrite it and he acted like I'd suggested that he do his own brain surgery - guess some folks are afraid to write. He suggested that I do the rewrite and I eagerly agreed - no formal offers yet. I'd at least get all the steps in there.

But it's all set now and it works great so far.

Dan

Comment

Working...
          X