Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$$$ at Work: NASA Tries to Link M.P.G. Standards With the Collapse of Civilization!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $$$ at Work: NASA Tries to Link M.P.G. Standards With the Collapse of Civilization!

http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech/...lapse-20140318

You'd think something like this is from the Onion . . . NASA . . . yup, the pocket-protector geeks that used to send up awesome Saturn V moon rockets (Back when America still had the bread and bravado to do such audacious things) . . . taking a break from that passé "Right Stuff" astronaut thing for awhile . . . reportedly have concluded that were gonna crash and burn like the Roman Empire . . . because we like do stuff like drive cars!

(Funny, I don't remember any Trans-Ams or G.T.Os in Gibbons' History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. . . . . )

Here's the money quote for Bangshifters:

Meanwhile, resources continue to be used up, even by the technologies designed to preserve them. For instance, "an increase in vehicle fuel efficiency technology tends to enable increased per capita vehicle miles driven, heavier cars, and higher average speeds, which then negate the gains from the increased fuel-efficiency," the study said.
    Do I hear Sammy Hagar warming up in the pits . . . .

Can somebody explain why the "Red Rocker" is in a BLACK car?

And can you imagine those Goddard Space Dweebs' reaction if they got a load of the Hot Rod Power Tour?

(Hey kids, let's avoid politics in discussing this topic, Okay?)
    Last edited by 38P; March 19, 2014, 02:40 PM.

that is weird.
    nasa is the one that hung onto an A model 707 airframe for decades..

If they were to sum it up realistically, they simply found fractal geometry. More than one thing for one thing, for one thing for one thing for one thing.

that is alot of things for one thing isn't it.

the unequal stuff, that is rank of humanity. My brother gets mad becuase I am smarter...it used to be violent.

the demise of civilizations is misjusticed kings and leaders, mimickry of clowns pretending to be a strong face of it.

that is what is happening now..

the lesser minds can swing fists, but brain power will always win.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 19, 2014, 03:03 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

We are not what we were. Sigh.
      I'm still learning

Comment

Its curious to me that someone can love gasoline and be utterly thrilled at the idea of burning far more of it than needed. NASA is looking at a bigger picture. They want to do the audacious unbelievable things, but they are limited by bullshit and waste. There is no coherence, no single direction or goal for our country, and we have become a nation of consumers rather than innovators. The jobs are going overseas because anyone can do them now. It used to be, we made the strides and huge advancements, but no longer. There is nothing spurring us to find solutions for incredibly difficult problems. That is our downfall, and if we don't change it, look outward rather than inward we are doomed to the same fate as so many other civilizations.

The wastefulness and environmental impact of fossil fuels is holding us back, we send most of our national product overseas, and nobody wants what we have anymore. To top it off, we have myopic twits afraid of change who listen to the naysayers who have a vested interest in keeping us on oil and coal. They rant about how bad alternatives are, deny all the overwhelming data, and shove fingers in their ears while shouting 'I CANT HEAR YOU' like a petulant child.

I am no hippy, I'm a rifle toting engine builder that loves to make silly power and smoke tires. The difference is I have seen hardcore pollution and what it does to the world. I know what its like trying to get oil out of everything, seeing it fall from the sky like rain, and oil well fires blackening the sky mid day. There are many reasons I am no fan of gasoline, but one of them sure as hell isn't not loving the feeling of brutal torque shoving me forward while scaring the hell out of little kids and old ladies.

Comment

I dunno . . . I'm kind of a fan of freedom and free markets, not hysteria, hyperbole, and bureaucratic central planning.

"If you don't have an oil well, get one!" -- Eddie Chiles (RIP)
          BTW, I'm hardly someone who has argued against any fuel efficiency improvements . . . . See e.g. http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...863#post312863
          Last edited by 38P; March 20, 2014, 03:23 AM.

Comment

I'm wondering if its the "myopic twits afraid of change" or the "naysayers" who are responsible for electric wonder-cars pooping out when it get chilly? http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...#ixzz2wWphMXOq Just askin'

Comment

Odd I always associated your post count with the collapse of civilization.
              The Green Machine.
              http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X