No announcement yet.

Scrapping an Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generally, more so lately, they require oils and fluids removed.. Holes in tanks.. New sign up at the yard yesterday was they charge $20 per reefer that still had a charged compressor in it.. 3-5 gallon buckets of copper and brass $303..

Comment

I'd take the stuff to the scrap yard only because I have a truck from work that I take home and the scrap yard is about a mile from work. For me it adds up, that's how I bought most of those fancy suspion components for my Mustang. I'm not embarrassed to pick pennies up from the ground. I just cashed in $258 in coins today. Now I can get that 20 ton press from HF on sale for $150. Regularly $200.
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

My kid used to be embarassed when we picked stuff up..took it in unprepared, he saw the $$, took it in prepared he loves the $$$$... He is stockpiling scrap for a run too..

Comment

Originally posted by Shelty View Post
          I scrapped an engine when I was in high school, it was a blown up 3.8 ford out of an 86 mustang that I was swapping to V8 that never saw fruition. got maybe 20 bucks for it, back when the economy was still decent and steel values were up.

you'd probably get more selling it as a boat anchor, or turn it into a coffee table.
          I'd be happy at $10 from it to be honest. I need to get it and the rest of the scrap out of the garage so I can start building the crates for the 2 engines and trans that I'm taking with me when we move. I need to get them in crates so I can free up my engine stand and floor space to pull the engine and trans out of the Riv for work before the Riviera Owners meet in June.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

So I did most of the work to get the stuff separated. I took a sawsall to the timing cover to get the steel post for the oil pump out and made an effort to get the filter adapter out of the lower section of the oil pump but it didn't want to budge so I left it. I still need to pull at least the heads off of it so I can lift it into the car by myself.

Tomorrow I'm going to take the aluminum to them and see how much grease they'll take caked on the outside or if I'll have to haul the engine to carwash and pressure wash it.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

No you won't! Caked on grease s $$$ lol..

Comment

Working...
              X