Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Push Button Autos? why did they die out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push Button Autos? why did they die out?

Something got me thinking today, maybe its the beer, but what happened to Push button Autos? I know they were a big thing with Chrysler for a little while, but they quickly died out.

last summer I came across a 64 Dart GT, slant 6 with the pushbutton automatic, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I almost bought it on the transmission alone, but after researching the car I found out that parts for that car are crafted from unobtanium. no one makes sheet metal for that car. and sadly, this car needed almost every panel, minus the roof the hood and the trunk. even for 500 bucks, it was good for parts only, it was even running too.

but I wonder why they died out, they were bragged to have been convenient, but seem like the Column shift took over.
    Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

no wires in mopars, they are cable actuated. I think there was a vehicle safety law that required a standardized shift pattern starting in 1965. The 65 mopars had cable linkage with a lever shifter, 66 (?) they went to mechanical linkage.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

there is modern versions.
      overseas mostly I guess.

I even had a subaru with a dramatic on the fly AWD kicking in.. one button, tractor trailer mode. Way more drama than shifting an automatic.

strange law they must have created.. but mopar got ganged up on all the time. the elephant motor stories etc.

my grandma drove the push button, giant chrysler..she always bought new, once a year sometimes. I asked when I was a kid when I got my first car what her favorite was.

the big chrysler with the buttons.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

shame if it was the law that killed the push button. I always thought they were the coolest thing ever.

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

those old push button auto's were awesome , push button and here tires chirp LOL!!!
          "if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

Comment

For a brief period of time you would see race cars with a sheet metal box coming out of the tunnel area with the button assembly on top of it. I'm guessing they might have been ClutchFlites but I never got close enough to one to see that and I can't remember from the mag articles of the day. All I remember was that the cables had to be adjusted just right.

Pretty sure that there was a standardization of automatic shift patterns. PRNDL was not always the standard. For example, Dynaflos had reverse at the far right (where L is now) and some folks had trouble with that, backing into stuff when they meant to be in drive. I don't recall the old Hydramatic pattern as I worked at a Buick dealership! So anyhow, my guess would be that someone decided that if Bozo T. Average can't even stay in his/her own lane they sure as heck couldn't keep up with different shift patterns. The lowest common denominator, for better or worse.

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; March 22, 2014, 05:40 AM.

Comment

early hydramatics had R after L, also, and no Park.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

They were cool........we called 'em 'typewriter trannys'
                My grandparents owned one
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Shelty View Post
                  shame if it was the law that killed the push button. I always thought they were the coolest thing ever.
                  NHTSA and the trial lawyers killed 'em. Sad.

Comment

so many things are gone now because of dumb ppl ruining it for everyone.

Comment

I can remember the Edsel's had transmission pushbuttons in the center of the steering wheel, that was probably a high maintenance deal. I had a 63 Dodge Polara 500 Ramcharger with the pushbuttons, I loved that concept.

Here's something else that I thought was pretty cool but they're no longer around, what killed off the Swivel seats, I had a couple mid-70's Cutlass cars with swivel buckets, the older you get the more you miss them!
                      sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

The new gen (2013-up) Lincoln MKZ have a version of this now ... take a look at this interior photo, to the right of the steering wheel, left edge of the centre stack:

cheers
                        Ed
                        Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                        07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                        88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

guess they are making a comeback in select vehicles.

swivel seats? and the tilt away steering wheel aka fat man wheel? ala mid 60s T-bird

Comment

I'm not even fat, and I love the slide-away column in my 66 Bird! LOL
                            Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                            07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                            88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by 38P View Post
                              NHTSA and the trial lawyers killed 'em. Sad.
                              Uhh, yeah. NHTSA was formed in 1970, the push button shifters were last made around 1964.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X