Calling The Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling The Law

I'm not big into interfacing with The Law. Police officers. But I sure am glad for what they do. Heroes, in my mind. For not a whole lot of pay.

I think I've called three times in my life, that I can recall. The third time just now - stop that kid on the motorcycle.

First time in South Carolina, was living in a duplex apartment. The guy next door was beating the hell out of his girlfriend and she was screaming bloody murder. She escaped the scene on her own before the sheriff ever got there. Happy ending. About an hour later. Rural setting. Slow response.

Second time, here in Tennessee. A squirrel fell down our chimney. Was stuck between the pipe insert and the bricks, scrabbling and chirping. I didn't call 911, I looked up the desk number for the cops. It was a weekend, I only wanted to ask a question - "Who does animal removal?" The city or a private party, who does that? The lady said, "We'll send out a unit right away." I said no no no, we don't need a unit, just asking a question, there's no animal removal folks listed in the phone book, and.....here comes a mighty nice cop who climbed up on our roof and determined that the squirrel was indeed stuck and it died a week later and we had lots of flies in the living room but no smell.

Maybe I've been lucky, only having to call The Law three times in 56 years. Let's compare notes...this could become a soap opera....
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

how late was the kid riding?

Comment

It wasn't late Joe, it was fast.

Comment

well, if its that dirtbike, he should be out in the woods. thats why they call em "dirt" bikes. riding on the street will eat the tires up quick, and its probably not street legal. is he even old enough for a license? whenever we caught our kids riding on the street we took they're bikes away for a while. 2 of my boys went down on the street with full riding gear over the years, one has some good scars on his arms.
        we have dirt roads here and kids ride all the time. it doesnt bother me, but some neighbors get annoyed after a while from the noise and dust. i actually gave a kid a helmet last year cause he was riding without one. his dad came over and thanked me. nice kid, he waves all the time.

Comment

Let's talk about calling the Law, who all's had to and for what reason. I'm interested. This should be good, if anybody wants to play.

Comment

Might have more luck if the question was "Who's had the law called on them and how many times?" I'll have a go at that one....never in the real world. Now in college, every weekend almost without fail. Excluding Christmas. Ever invite the cops into the party? They kind of warm to you after several calls and you are cool to them.
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
              Might have more luck if the question was "Who's had the law called on them and how many times?" I'll have a go at that one....never in the real world. Now in college, every weekend almost without fail. Excluding Christmas. Ever invite the cops into the party? They kind of warm to you after several calls and you are cool to them.
              Hmmmm. I've been visited once. Party. Big crowd, little house. 1 am. Extraordinarily loud music. Kenwood 60-watt amp and Bose 901's. Cops said hey could hear it across town. In truth the next door neighbors called them. They were old and trying to sleep, and couldn't. Oh but to be 20-something again. No clue, but raising hell. Just for the hell of it. The stupid stuff us old folks can't understand.

Comment

I can only think of once. Some jerk stole the radio out a little motorhome we had, right in the driveway. They came and took the info but nothing came of it. I really didn't expect the police department to spring into action and solve this case - you know, take fingerprints, take photos (film in those days) - the whole CSI deal. At least the cops were on the lookout in the neighborhood (nice area) but I never did hear if they caught anyone.

Dan

Comment

we don't have enough server for the "who's had the cops called on them" game.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Most of the times I've called 'em have been about thefts . . . they did nothing but take a report.

When Five-O has come calling, it's always been for alleged highway traffic transgressions . . . they did nothing but posture and pontificate.

Comment

Was going 70 on the freeway by my place..(55 posted) kids ahead of me saw a police pickup leaving the freeway and slowed down.. I almost rear ended them, had to pass them on the right.. They flipped me off.. I cut back close.. Other cars around.. Got home, 15 min later, here comes the squad car.. Asked me what happened.. Simply told them the truth.. They were investigating "Road Rage" I even told them we were speeding.. .... Both know my daughter, one took "head shots". "glamour photos" of her when she first started at the dept..

Comment

I've got a similar situation as PW. Adults riding modified crotch rockets in the neighborhood at high speeds. When you can hear them four blocks away you know they are going too fast. They're a blur when they come down my street. I got a visual yesterday and at least one cop for my area is familiar with me.

I've called the man a time or two in twenty years here. Don't know that they've been called because of me, too many worse nuts in the 'hood. Me and "them" have had plenty of interaction on the roadways for me to want them at my house.
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                          It wasn't late Joe, it was fast.
                          the motorcycle thing, that died here when I was young.. roads only got worse.
                          the machines are capable with a good driver, I knew of one that wound his up into the 4 seconds in an eighth (he also drove a 3 maine bearing subaru - one of my inspirations).

haha. maine. Speeling, who cars. Maine bearing is probably appropriate, this place buries the sunstorms, and cryogenics at 26 below.

Machinist by trade.

Some claim he died. Missing for 20 years.

I only called about a car once, guy dumping fluids right outside.. seemed dizzy. He smashed into gas pumps some months later, a spectacle..in the news. Hypodermic needles was in the mix that time.

I call on life and death...

saw some people running around on the funeral home roof next door, late at night. They had just installed a big furnace air conditioning looking thing.. assumed thieves. Never caught them.

fighting loud in my neighborhood has some quick people on the phone, I always stay back. Not a common thing anyway.

Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I've called them when I was 23. It was after 12p.m. and I could here a stereo a block away and couldn't sleep. 5 minutes problem solved. Couple years later we had moved was near Shadland ave south right before it merged into 465. Motor cyclisted had turned it into a street outlaws style drag strip. It also was late on a sat. night. Third time was I came home from a trip and found my front yard all tore up. Went and checked with my neighbor and asked if he saw what happened . ( looked like someone went through the ditch with a one bottom plow ) Said he had, talked to the guy that had lost a good size trailer off a dually dodge diesel pick up and the guy said he would get with me ( he hadn't yet ) . He'd gotten his plate number. I called the sheriff and gave them all the info. They said they would get with the guy and check it out ( get his story and let him know of said witness ) . Here is where it gets funny. This guy was a work-a-holic. He is / was a friend and co- air traffic controller with my brother in law. On the side, he was a Hancock county (same as my residence) reserve deputy. (means he had a car and all the equipment but either did it for fun or a little money and had a vending company and was using a rented nice barn as his warehouse on my country road. Yeah i would have liked to heard that conversation. Really the guy was pretty busy and hadn't been able to get with me yet as he didn't have my number and was going to stop in after the week end. My bro. law had heard my story and the guy had related the story to his coworkers and we put it all together and had a good laugh. Told my brother in law to have him drop a couple cases of Coke of and I'd roto till it and seed it . Turned out great !
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I've never had the law called on me to my knowledge,and I've only called them a time or two. My wife and I came home one night,and I had the bellyache. I headed straight to the bathroom because I was in bad shape. My wife was getting the stuff we bought out of the car,and this guy rolled up on her wanting money to help him get home. I know he had been partying in the cul-de-sac next to us. She came in and told me,and I told her just towait in the house and call the law if he wouldn't leave. I sure couldn't help her at that moment. He wouldn't leave,and my wife called the cops. He tried to get away when he saw the cops coming,but they got him down the street. Wife said she smelled booze pretty bad. He was probably harmless,but you never know.

We had a guy ring the doorbell one night not long after we moved to our current house. It was a spring night when it was about to storm so it was warm and muggy. We were in bed,and when the guy rang the bell our Corgi Chevy tore off down the hall barking. Corgis bark like BIG dogs. All I saw of the dude out the front window was him running away from the door with a hoodie over his head. It was nowhere near cold enough for a hoodie. There was a guy waiting out front in a car,and they went down in the cul-de-sac and parked with their lights on. We called the cops on them. We kinda tried to describe what kind of vehicle we thought it was. Three cop cars came and made the cul-de-sac,and went the same way as the car did even though we didn't tell them the direction they went. It came up in a conversation with our neighbors several months later that they tried to rob the house down the street. I'm glad we have a dog! It probably would've been on if I had opened the door. The cops must've had an idea who it was because they knew what direction to go in.

I left out of our Oreilly Auto Parts one night,and when I turned right to get into the street I had to dodge someone coming at me going the wrong way. That was bad enough,but he also had two wheels on the sidewalk. I made turn the go back to our house,and the guy passed right in front of me when I stopped at a stop sign. I fell in behind him and got his license. I called the cops and gave the license number,and a vehicle description. The dispatcher knew who it was without even running the tag,and said they would go see what his problem was. Pretty crazy.
                              Last edited by Karberator; March 22, 2014, 10:39 PM.
                              sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                              X