Im thinking of buying a used snap on tool box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im thinking of buying a used snap on tool box

Its got friction slides and Im assuming not a higher end model. Its a good size for my home garage and I need a bigger one than what I have but is the friction slide boxes any good? The drawers seem to open and close ok but maybe need to be lubed. Its only 250 bucks,but should I just put the money towards a new Harbor Frieght one? I know its Chinese and stuff but its just for my home use. My main concern is really the durability of the drawers,being old with those slides.

I still have the Craftsman rollaway chest with friction slides I bought in 1986. If you keep them greased it helps but the more you load the drawers the harder it is to open/close them. It has seen better days but all the drawers function just as intended. After 25+ years it's a pita and has been replaced by a box with roller slides. JMO
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I'm really a fan of Kennedy Tool boxes. But 250 for a good size tool box seems good. And if your only going to open it several times a day, instead of dozens or up to a 100 times a day then i think you'll be fine. That said, I can't seem to find a good deal on used so, I'll probably eventually go to harbor freight and get one with roller drawers.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

If you don't have to have something immediately, if you search Sears' website some times you can catch a good deal on boxes that are last years model going for half price.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
          I still have the Craftsman rollaway chest with friction slides I bought in 1986. If you keep them greased it helps but the more you load the drawers the harder it is to open/close them. It has seen better days but all the drawers function just as intended. After 25+ years it's a pita and has been replaced by a box with roller slides. JMO
          roller boxes don't seem to really start working well until you get some weight in them... I like how easy it is to keep the drawer pulls clean on a Snapon though. Mac and Matco were about the same. I never could justify "New car or new toolbox" so I'm still fighting the friction.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
            Its got friction slides and Im assuming not a higher end model. Its a good size for my home garage and I need a bigger one than what I have but is the friction slide boxes any good? The drawers seem to open and close ok but maybe need to be lubed. Its only 250 bucks,but should I just put the money towards a new Harbor Frieght one? I know its Chinese and stuff but its just for my home use. My main concern is really the durability of the drawers,being old with those slides.
            I have owned several Snap On slide drawer boxes, all worked fine. Still have one of thier bigger top boxes with slides, built just before everything went roller, still works fine. Thats a good price for a Snap On, I would buy it!
            67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
            05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Im going to go take another look at it. Ill make a decision then. I will take a picture of it and post it.

Comment

the only issue I've ever had with mine was the drawer lock latches in the rolling chest... if it is what you like, buy it... boxes are just storage or bragging rights... the tools do the work...
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                X