Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YOU SHOULD NOT BE WELDING ANYTHING!!!...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know somebody who would say, 'ah...it just needs touching up with the die grinder'..........
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I could probably weld better than that....
      Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

OMG thats hidious! at least he kind of made the metal stick together. we had a local welding instructer from a voc-tech school apply for a job once. after a 20 minute long welding test, he couldnt stick 2 pieces of metal together. we never laughed so hard.

Comment

That's nuts.

If I were going to try to fix it, I think would weld a new piece of tubing from the gusseted area on top, angling down to the reinforced area where the engine mount ties in. With a new swingarm pivot welded on. Chop off the booger area altogether and not even try to reproduce it. I'd probably do both sides that way.
          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

seeing as how its Chinese steel, its only a matter of time until the rest of it goes...
            Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

There is a kid who is 'restoring' a 2nd gen Camaro and posting videos of it to youtube, his welds are that bad and his poor craptastic car is about as safe as that quad. Some people simply should not be allowed to hold tools, and certainly not apply them to anything. Its one thing to learn the hard way, its entirely another to be an idiot.

Comment

Working in a shop that dealt with alot of British cars, I've seen many similar home "remedies" Pretty much standard operating procedure with Triumph TR3's was to cut them into two halves. The areas where the front and rear were joined together, the rocker, or sill area is always so rusty you couldn't move them in one piece, it would fold. Easier to move them as multiple pieces, flip them over, repair the bottoms, then right side up and join them together again on the frame.

Comment

Older stuff I have seen some really bad arc welding jobs - probably because not all that long ago - you couldn't buy a cheap flux core mig welder, and good welders were really really expensive... the amount of things "fixed" with the old lincoln buzzbox / tombstone welder could be impressive - in the hands of skilled folks - in the hands of idiots... well - we've all seen what can happen.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

the frankenstein welds have to happen sometimes. The drama is realizing manufacture even found a way to play with "fake" steel.

mig welders are never nice, the only modern change since 1899 is a feedback feeler and to keep the tip from being lit when trigger off.

there is an inbetween pile of facts for the big mouths.

keep on welding (I can tell a wallet welder from miles away).
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I just need some clarification here. What part is the crack? and what part used to be a frame?
                      Fabricator's Motto: Cut to fit, Beat into place.
                      Quando omni flunkus moritati
                      HRPT Long Hauler 2014

Comment

Here's a good attempt at fixing a leaking fuel line.....in the car.

Comment

Originally posted by harrydart View Post
                          YIKES!

Bad idea on so many levels...

Comment

OMG!!! You guys are cracking me up with your comments! Full break down and pics of repair are comin tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by harrydart View Post
                              Proof someone is watching over us right there.

Comment

Originally posted by AFFORDILLAC View Post
                                OMG!!! You guys are cracking me up with your comments! Full break down and pics of repair are comin tonight.
                                Awesome!
                                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                                X