Driving in Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving in Europe

Got my international driver's license last week for a two week trip to Germany and France in May.
    Anyone here driven in Europe?.........any tips?

At least they drive on the 'right' side of the road.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

I didn't have one when I was driving in Germany, but I got one last September (about 10 minutes before the Skylark quit on me), so I had one in case the Russian authorities wanted to see it when driving there =P

Germany doesn't have Stop signs (or at least I didn't see any), just yield and street lights. I found the section of autoban I drove to be disappointing. Unlimited speed for like three or four miles then a 60mph (100kph) limit for a few miles, and repeat. But found most people drove between 50-60mph even in the unlimited parts due to high fuel prices.

I'll be interested to hear how your trip goes, I'm thinking of next year driving from Nice to Normandy.
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; March 23, 2014, 08:41 AM.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

We're part of a group accompanying some WWII veterans over........don't know how I got picked to drive.

It'll be interesting for sure......checking to see if I can get my Garmin to work over there.
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

No traveling in the Left Lane on the highways, that is for passing only, if you get caught traveling in it or do not move over for a faster car you will get stopped and ticketed. Also Semi's can only travel in the right lane and are limited to 80 kph(50 mph), and if weather conditions are bad watch out, it is very common over there to see 100 car pileups on the Autobahn. It's been over 20 years since I visited my relatives in Germany, we drove all over, even into Switzerland and France. Randal is right the no speed areas are far and in between, I remember going about 110 mph in my uncles car and getting passed by a Lamborghini like were were standing still. Good times indeed, hope you have a wonderful trip.
        Last edited by BigAL; March 23, 2014, 11:54 AM.
        The Green Machine.
        http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Good info thanks.....sounds like we need some of those laws over here.

For many of the veterans this will be their last trip........first week will require the most driving.
          Second week I'm thinking of using the train system.

Thom

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post

For many of the veterans this will be their last trip........first week will require the most driving.
            Second week I'm thinking of using the train system.
            Ya their public transportation system is great, to the point that my relatives use that more than their own cars to get around. Also you buy a ticket and it allows you to ride everything.
            Last edited by BigAL; March 23, 2014, 12:36 PM.
            The Green Machine.

Comment

You'll see right away that the Mercedes, BMWs, Porsches, and other fast movers use the left lane. The flashing headlight mean get out of the way, and they aren't very cordial if you don't. There are a few stop signs, in fact the U.S. sign is the only one from here that was selected for international useage, simply due to it's shape. Also.....keep a small supply of cash on hand at all times. German police have the authority for on-the-spot fines, and they will levy them. If there is construction ahead, get in the correct lane as soon as possible. It is against the law to pass several cars, then duck into the proper lane at the last minute. (That shoud be the law here too. It sure stops all the backed up traffic.) Use your signals for every lateral move, including entering and leaving a parallel parking place. The roundabouts are bigger in Europe. They are designed so that the inner lanes are used to circle, while the outer lane is for entry and exit....again, make sure to use your turn signals. Have fun, it's a great place to visit!
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

oletrux4ever is not kidding if someone comes up behind you flashing their lights GET OVER or they will be right up your a$$ because they donot slow down. Germans are very unforgiving, if they have the right of way don't make a mistake and pull out in front of them. They expect everyone to know the rules and to follow them. Know your international signs. Al is right about 100 car pile ups as well saw that a couple of times. Frankfort is a pretty tedious place to drive. All I can say about Paris is make someone else drive. Absoulty donot go near the Arc de Triomph. Have fun. Europe is really a place to visit and see a lot of what you were bored with in sixth grade.

Comment

Originally posted by GFogg View Post
                  oletrux4ever is not kidding if someone comes up behind you flashing their lights GET OVER or they will be right up your a$$ because they donot slow down. Germans are very unforgiving, if they have the right of way don't make a mistake and pull out in front of them. They expect everyone to know the rules and to follow them. Know your international signs. Al is right about 100 car pile ups as well saw that a couple of times. Frankfort is a pretty tedious place to drive. All I can say about Paris is make someone else drive. Absoulty donot go near the Arc de Triomph. Have fun. Europe is really a place to visit and see a lot of what you were bored with in sixth grade.
                  Epic quote.......and true.

Being a WWII buff I'm looking forward to visiting many places these guys fought and hear
                  their side of things............and seeing lots of old castles.

Also I hear they have good beer.
                  Thom

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                    We do. In Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and quite a few other states as well, just not enforced. Have fun, I've only driven in another country once, and it was on a moped. Just hang right (actually I think it was left) and let everybody pass you. Damn, that thing was slow. First time encountering a traffic circle too, I got the hell out of that as quick as I could, not messing around in traffic on a moped. Sorry I don't have any advice for Europe though.

Comment

This is the Ulm Munster in Ulm, Germany, you can climb the stairs to the top of it, my brother-in-law and I did.

The Green Machine.

Comment

Monk if you get a chance to go to Holland there is a town that is famous for the largest airborne invasion in history. It is told in a book called "A Bridge to Far". They made a movie about it as well. My wife and I were there when they were shooting the movie. Can't say as I saw much movie making but they had a heck of a fleet of military vehciles. There's also a town in Belguim where Gen McAluf told the German messenger "Nuts" to his request for the 101 to surrender. You might like to visit there any road into that town is still guarded by a tank. Disarmed of course. There is a good museum mostly about the Battel of the Bulge. There are several cemetarys outside of town for US, Brit and German soldiers that died there. A very sad walk through any of them almost all the guys in all the armies were so young. Almost all under 21. It gives you an idea of how costly war is to both sides.

Comment

Driven in quite a few countries over there. Blinker's always especially for traffic circles when exiting a multilane one. Left for continuing around right to exit on single lane circles. A lot of neighbourhoods or smaller cities have one lane traffic calming sections (most without speed bumps so slowing not necessary) but watch the signs prior to these if you have a white arrow and opposing has a red arrow then you have the right of way opposing must yield to you and vice versa if you have the red arrow. On narrow roads (no centre marking line) with multiple corners bordered by walls and houses (blind corners) a quick double blast on the horn is expected when entering a corner like this so listen for it as well as practice it. Again that is for narrow roads without centre marker, if road has centre line then this is not needed and drivers will expect others to stay on their side of the line (no matter how sharp the corner). Most rental cars come with a GPS and it will take a couple of minutes in the parking lot to get the settings to english, but this is a life saver. DO NOT rely on google maps you printed off at home. I did that once and I am quite certain that Google may not actually be aware there is a place called "your rope" the directions were that bad, I turfed all the maps I had, after getting lost 3 times before even getting away from the Frankfort rail station.
                          Fabricator's Motto: Cut to fit, Beat into place.
                          Quando omni flunkus moritati
                          HRPT Long Hauler 2014

Comment

When in Germany mind the Einfahrts and Ausfahrts.....

Comment

Enjoy the trip Monk and thanks for assisting the Vets to go.
                              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                              X