Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Craigslist reasons for why it doesn't run.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Craigslist reasons for why it doesn't run.

Craigslist is a goldmine for identifying those members of the species that should not be allowed to reproduce. I love some of the reasons why some POS won't run. Today's special is:

Needs a starter has got to be in the top 3 reasons, and it's always a simple fix. So simple, in fact, that the owner doesn't think it should affect the price! Today's jewel made me smile:

"the starter is out so it won't engage but the motor turns over"

I'm guessing they have a strap wrench on the crank pulley to prove it. Turns over 355 degrees probably... right up until the rod wedges up against the block. What say you?
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

"ran when parked"
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

this very subject locally.. damn near noble. Nobody can bullshit anybody.

that does bring another realm of idiot however.. doubting the truly strong.

Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

The RX-7 that needed a head gasket. (And no, it didn't have an engine swap.)

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
          "ran when parked"
          And you have to ask yourself, or at least I do, who was president when it was parked.

Slightly tangential to the topic, I'm amused at how "new" maintenance items in the description such as batteries, alternator, belts, hoses, and brake pads/shoes is justification to inflate the price equal to or 150% of the cost of those parts.
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I swear to all that is holy, I want to reach thru cyber space and jackslap the stupid asswads that post crap like "easy restore" "the hard part is already done""not many of these left""rare""ran when parked""just rebuild X,Y orZ""just needs TLC" no, no you effing moron, it doesnt need any of that. It needs a full on restoration because it is nothing more than a shell with no motor, transmission and interior, it has not been on the road since Nixon was in the white house and you sir are a dumb ass who shold never breed. People trying really hard to sell with buzz words like that tell me that there is a reason they are selling and it isnt because they "just dont have the time" and "divorce forces sale" Sorry, had a bad CL experience the other day and am a little bitter LOL!
            Last edited by JOES66FURY; March 25, 2014, 11:56 AM.
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Sorry, had a bad CL experience the other day and am a little bitter LOL!
              We can tell. I think we get the same meaning from the phrases you posted.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I swear to all that is holy, I want to reach thru cyber space and jackslap the stupid asswads that post crap like "easy restore" "the hard part is already done""not many of these left""rare""ran when parked""just rebuild X,Y orZ""just needs TLC" no, no you effing moron, it doesnt need any of that. It needs a full on restoration because it is nothing more than a shell with no motor, transmission and interior, it has not been on the road since Nixon was in the white house and you sir are a dumb ass who shold never breed. People trying really hard to sell with buzz words like that tell me that there is a reason they are selling and it isnt because they "just dont have the time" and "divorce forces sale" Sorry, had a bad CL experience the other day and am a little bitter LOL!
                Ha!
                Couldn't have said it better
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Especially with bikes- Runs great, just needs spark plug and carb cleaning.
                  Local person
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RustyRodder View Post
                    Especially with bikes- Runs great, just needs spark plug and carb cleaning.
                    My pet peevee.. Needs battery charged and air in tires... Battery is dry and tires are cracked.. Nobody in their right of mind will go far with cracked tires on a bike...,

Comment

rust free body, just needs floorboards

saw that on an ad the other day
                      Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

Mine actually comes from e-bay.
                        This car must go, auction is NO RESERVE!!!!
                        Starting bid $10,000
                        That my rather dim friend IS A RESERVE.
                        Fabricator's Motto: Cut to fit, Beat into place.
                        Quando omni flunkus moritati
                        HRPT Long Hauler 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ColinV View Post
                          Mine actually comes from e-bay.
                          This car must go, auction is NO RESERVE!!!!
                          Starting bid $10,000
                          That my rather dim friend IS A RESERVE.
                          but at least you know what it is..

Comment

the problem is.. what one person thinks is an easy fix, and what another will find hard..
                            My dad looks at a car and it'll have the 3/4 nose bashed.. and go , easy fix.. and buy it.. to me, because I'm not a bodyman.. it's not an easy fix..

I look at it this way.. if they say it only needs a starter. I tend to go look at it.. and ask for the keys.. and dicker on the price.. once there.. I'll ask them to put the deal in writing ,that it's sold for XX dollars, if it only needs the starter.. and when they look at me funny.. I pull out the new starter that I brought with me.. and then they tend to start telling the truth.. more times than not.. if it's a female seller. and needs ___ part.. it just might need it. as they won't pay the shop rate+part cost.. I got a 72 chevelle , red with black gut ,350/th350/ ten bolt for 700.00 because it needed a starter..(kid thought the engine was locked up) and it didn't even need one.. as soon as I saw the starter hanging at an angle , and the bolts loose, I handed the kid (18y/o) the cash.. got out tools tightened the bolts.. and turned the keys.. took 5 minutes.. and then drove it onto the trailer.. the kid was not happy..
                            Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; March 26, 2014, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Mark, do not come in here with your illegal VIN rivets and start being literal. lol. The point of the thread isn't about what the car needs, it's the way it is sold. EVERYTHING on Craigslist is a simple fix, didn't you know that? I did a search for "Needs" in CL and here's a really mild example :

". Runs and drives well, very honest car.

The exhaust is currently off the car - it will either be installed prior to sale or new owner can have their own system installed."

I guess my point is - it if's so damn easy that you think the price shouldn't be affected by, oh, maybe the exhaust laying on the ground, then fix it or don't call it a running and driving car.

Meh. That's not a bad ad really, but it kind of illustrates my point. Everything is easy on CL... this is my other peeve:

"I did get a title when i bought the car but it wasnt transferred by the guy that had the car. Easy fix to have it in your name. "

CL is also possibly the biggest fencing operation on the planet! I may be exaggerating, Fleabay has a pretty good foothold in that arena. At least on CL you don't get shill bidding and sniping like you see with the "Ass Monkey Garage" cars.

I just did a search for "Easy" and the first two cars I looked at don't have proper titles. Here's the sort of thing I'm talking about, we all know what they look like. If you can have the title by Friday, how about getting it before you put it up for sale?

I have A 79 El Camino Primer Grey. Rebuilt 350 with about 2000 miles on motor i got from my grandpa's farm truck. I'm moving and do not have time to finish the car although it is running and driving. There is a leak on the dipstick of the transmission easy fix. Motor and tranny still strong. Tranny is a 200. I'm basically giving the car away the motor alone is worth 1500 lots of internal goodies. Needs interior but i have 2 leather grey seats that i will throw in. No rust. I can have the title by friday. txt me with your offers. Im not taking trades i need the cash. Thanks for looking. Has floor pedals for a manual tranny Needs driver Window
                              TXT me 469-347-2375
                              Probably needs to be hauled away registration is expired

(oh, and I'm kinda digging the idea of a manual transmission ElCo at the moment, but I need a mullet first... EASY Fix!)

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X