Nothing So Important

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing So Important

Behind the Admin building where I work, there's a cinder block wall. About four feet high, maybe two hundred yards long.

The bigwigs from corporate were coming a few months ago, and there were contractor guys all over the place. Painting the crosswalks, painting the speed bumps, leaf blowing the roads, decorating the place. It's typical. I wonder how much money has been spent over time to get ahead of a corporate visit, getting the visual thing going right. At the mill in South Carolina, they planted a long row of trees along the front side of the mill a couple of days before the CEO showed up.

In a day, they painted that big long wall here green. A bunch of them out there with paint rollers. The next day, the big long wall had our local safety slogan on it: "There's nothing so important that we can't take the time to do it safely."

That's been the mill motto for about a decade. And we believe it, and we preach it. And it's true.

And the wall looks so good. I even took a photo of it for the newsletter. And how did the painters do such a good job of it so quickly? The lettering. Perfect. Folks used to be able to do that by hand...

Yesterday I got close enough to it to see that after some time, those are stick-on lettering. GIANT stick on letters, and they are peeling off of the wall. Stick on lettering just like I have on Red, the race car numbers. No wonder they look so good.

That's how stupid I am. I thought somebody painted that.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Well it's good to see the civilian work force as to military. When we has our IG inspections we would always load up a 2 1/2 or 5 ton truck with all the stuff we didn't want the IG to see and drive it aroun all day. In Viet Nam I stood in an in-ranks inspection right on the Landing Zone. As they say 1 round would have killed us all. Some times supervision gets real stupi. Any of you read Dilbert?

Comment

Well, it was a very interesting thread, thanks for sharing

Is a timeshare sales agreement a fair contract? Not strictly. Learn more about timeshare purchases and how to get out of one

Comment

timeshare spammer, fake life of glamour.

poetic for peewees safety thread.

that is funny sometimes, letters falling off a sign.

maybe guess what it becomes:

"Ther's othing so impotant that we cat take the tim to do it safly."

Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

We use house paint on derby cars ($20 vs $40+) and use peel off stickers for lettering.. Makes "professional" looking jobs.. But by the time the night's over, they are coming off..or on the highway going home.. Roof signs get new nbrs annually.. . Nothing lasts..

Comment

Get out there with marker and trace those letters before they are gone then paint them.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

When they come off, they take paint with them... Only has to look good going into the arena..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                When they come off, they take paint with them... Only has to look good going into the arena..
                Or in our case, only has to look good when the wigs are onsite for about two hours. Dadgum I'm cynical. But that's the game, that's how it's played. Has been for 100 years.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                  Or in our case, only has to look good when the wigs are onsite for about two hours. Dadgum I'm cynical. But that's the game, that's how it's played. Has been for 100 years.
                  You've seen before and afters of our cars.. Would you go fancier?

Comment

I say dip it in a septic tank beforehand, it'll look better afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                      I say dip it in a septic tank beforehand, it'll look better afterward.
                      Probably run circles round Red on Road Atlanta!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                        Probably run circles round Red on Road Atlanta!
                        Probably so. Everybody else did.

And you were talking about appearance. At a demolition derby. I mean....I think I've stepped in a hole .... I've fallen and I can't get up....

Comment

One of the rules at many derbys is the car has to be brightly painted with contrasting colors..

Comment

Ever consider black and white? They contrast pretty well. You could even put a rack of police lights on top, just a-flashing and a-going.

Wait, that's a bad idea. Folks would be getting their cars out of the parking lot to come hit it. Never mind that idea.

Comment

Some guys paint black for bad assery.. Plus they are hard to see at night or in videos.. Pink shows up good, plus my kids got the balls to drive pink..

Comment

Working...
                              X