Back to school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to school

I'm going to be 32 this summer, and I found out today that a training plan and funding has been approved through the trade-act to send me back to school for the next 2 years and 3 months. Enrolled to get an Associates of Technical Arts degree in Robotics and Electronics. Then it's back to work while finishing a 4 year BS in Electrical Engineering. I'm too old for this crap, but it's the road I'm traveling on. Neat thing is that not only is the Government paying my tuition and books, but I'm also getting a continuation of my unemployment for the duration of the program. Don't expect any mega-dollar parts to be added to my daily-driver project anytime soon.
    1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

You sound like a man with a plan, best of luck to you.

Comment

Hey, you have an LS powered car, it won't be all bad! And you won't be going hungry.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

You're welcome

Comment

Stick with it! Years back I use to worked on high speed packaging machinery. I was the electrical supervisor. We had PLC's while everyone else was using relay logic. I was going to school at night for general and digital electronics. A job change when the company went bust and focusing on getting my NJ state electrical contracting license threw things a little off course. I wanted to get my EE BS but never happened.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Good luck man! Math just beat my ass into the ground when I tried to go back after a few years of partying away those brain cells. It's a great plan, go for it!
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Best of luck! If I had the whole deal to do over I'd have gotten a degree in meterology (the art of measurement, NOT weather). A field I didn't know existed. Like Beags, math was my nemesis.

Dan

Comment

I went to school during 2 rough spots.. First was to be a machinist while having a farm with 80-150 head of sheep.. As well as a large garden and milk cow and chickens.. lived 45 miles from school.. The second was when my youngest started school.. Being Mr Mom, and school/homework was tough.. Plus I always had a side/part time/under table job.. The extra stuff is what doomed me.. I should have just sloughed through insted of trying for extras when I was in school... Best of luck to you!

Comment

Rock on my friend.
                  I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                    You're welcome
                    I just find that funny, classic Spidey one-liner. At least I can honestly say the government has gotten far more cash back out of my higher income taxes than I recieved during college. I'd say it was a sound investment.

Work hard and it'll be helpful not having to work, or at least work full time, through school.
                    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; April 2, 2014, 08:00 AM.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

32 is not even too old. I went back at 31, didn't finish until 37. During that time, I lived on the corner of crack and drive-by; sold both of my 67 Camaros, my 74 Corvette, and anything else that could net me any money to live on.... In one year, I made more money that I got from those sales, it's worth it; keep your eyes on the prize and keep taking those great track pictures.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Yup. What Spidey said...
                        Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

TEA
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Thanks for the support guys. And to you anti-government types, let me explain what's going on. Because I worked for a major employer for many, many years and paid taxes, and they paid taxes, that means I'm eligible to reap the benefits available to me. My job was shipped off to Russia, and although I'm an expert in my field, I am unable to find work at even 50% of my previous income because I don't have a degree. That makes me a displaced worker and eligible for Trade Act money. This money is largely paid for by taxes from my employer and others like it that have shipped jobs over-seas. So, your precious tax dollars won't be investing in my education which will allow me to get back to work at a higher wage to support my family and pay more taxes. There are many, many rules and stipulations involved in ensuring my success. I had to prove there is a market for my potential future job. That I can get into school and complete the course-work within a designated period. That I will be attending class as a full-time student year-round (this includes summer). That I immediately find work in my field of study after graduation. That I continue to look for work during the program. That I meet with a case-worker twice a quarter to ensure I'm going to class and getting passing grades. And on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
                              Hey, you have an LS powered car, it won't be all bad! And you won't be going hungry.
                              Yeah, the car and engine are the only things I've held on to after being unemployed. I've sold ever other thing I own . No smart phone. No cable TV. No more Starbucks or eating out. No trips or vacations. I had to teach myself how to weld so I could afford to put the exhaust together. And I cobbled a lot of it together using parts I already had laying around. And in the end, if something comes up, it might have to go as well. But I hope not.

Comment

Working...
                              X