Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows XP "Chernobyl" after April 8 . . . What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP "Chernobyl" after April 8 . . . What to do?

Yes, one of my computers is an "antique" that still runs Windows XP . . . which the greedy scum con-artists at Microsoft are throwing overboard to the hackers and mal-ware pirates on April 8, 2014.

Microsoft wants to line its pockets by selling me (and about the 30% of computer users world-wide who are still running XP) either a new Windows 8.1 operating system or a freakin' whole new computer . . . .

I'm loathe to give even one more cent to the Microsoft monopoly for either Windows 7 . . . or the software version of the GM "LESS"** a/k/a Windows 8 . . . .

What is a Microsoft-hating cheapskate to do? Get some version of Linux? Take my chances with XP? (Given the sordid hacking history for this website, probably a apocalyptically stupid idea) Class action lawsuit?

Microsoft is more obscene to me than the infamous "F-word" at the moment . . . .

----------
    **Yes I said I'd give up the "LESS" appelation, but it seems SOOO appropriate when droppin' a rhetorical deuce on Microsoft

load w7 and call it good

Comment

Don't worry about it. Load a 2nd-party anti-virus and anti-malware and keep XP. Don't fall for the BS they're blowing up your ass to trick you into thinking you HAVE to upgrade. You don't.
      1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
      1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

you don't have to upgrade, you just won't get support for it and you won't get security hotfixes. Your browser is probably more in need of security fixes than the operating system at this point. They supported XP a helluva lot longer than they supported Windows 2000, for what it's worth. A twelve year warranty is more than you got on any car you own - and How much support do you really need for it? Windows 7 is fine, but it takes a beefier machine than XP did to perform okay.

The various flavors of Linux will have a learning curve to it but it's not all that bad. Star Office, or whatever they are delivering now, was lifted code from Microsoft from what I gathered, it should feel just like Office from the XP era... all of the source code access was removed from the poor bastards supporting the product at Microsoft about that time so the theory seems sound enough (stolen code). Try suggesting a fix to a developer when you can't find the busted code. Fun. Not.

I would NOT buy a new OS for an old machine. XP had a tiny footprint compared to Windows 7 and up. 7 will run on a machine smaller than what it took to run Vista. If you had a total beast of a machine, 7 will probably be okay. Fwiw, It has been historically easier to put new software on old hardware than old software on new hardware but don't expect it to be snappy!!! I'd either put Linux on it or buy a new machine and ask them to put Windows 7 on it instead of 8. I think I've ranted enough lately that everyone knows how I feel about 8's user interface. The core OS in 8 is faster and more stable though. Sadly, they (program management with big offices, not the poor schmucks trying to use it, sell it, or support it) expected 8 to look like the new phone interface/tablet interface and try to sell it that way now. You see the ads with "One Experience on everything" ... of course, they were immune to hearing everyone else telling them "Yes, the same shitty experience on Everything" but Lumberg did get his .50 a share on the 50,000 share bonus.

I'd honestly take a look at some of the Linux offerings for an older machine... keeping in mind that when nobody gets paid to write bug fixes, they may not be as quickly delivered as you might like. It's pretty familiar feeling. I wouldn't put any banking / billing / financial information on ANY old machine with old software that was not being updated (read: Supported). Lemme know when you are ready to kill the drive's contents, there are some switches on Cipher.exe that are government level compliant for wiping data off the drive. Either that, or a 3/8 drill through the drive in a couple of places... seems pretty effective at making the old data non-accessible.
        Last edited by Beagle; April 4, 2014, 04:49 AM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Microsoft has been Chernobyling the world ever since they brought out their Windows crap.
          Why would it suddenly be worse if they stop putting effort in something?

I think it can only get better.
          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
            Don't worry about it. Load a 2nd-party anti-virus and anti-malware and keep XP. Don't fall for the BS they're blowing up your ass to trick you into thinking you HAVE to upgrade. You don't.
            This. Although if you run into too much trouble, I'd probably put Ubuntu or Lubuntu Linux on it.

Comment

Don't worry about it. the lack of MS support is not the issue...the real issue is that applicatiion software such as browsers, etc will evetually quit workign on it. I have some old computers, running operating systems back to the earliest versions of windows (from almost 30 years ago). They still work fine, but there isn't much you can use them for these days, since the modern stuff you do with computers won't run on them.

Windows 7 actually works pretty good. If you'd have bought it a few years ago, you would be in good shape right now. I finally bought it for my main computer last year.

You might be able to use linux, but linux pisses me off because the developers seem intent on constantly messing with it to make it have the latest features. Maybe if you get the latest long term stable build, get used to it, and keep using it for it's two years, you'll be ok...but expect problems.

If you really don't like microsoft, you should try Apple, they are much better at taking even more of your money, and making you feel good about it
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Well, there always a Mac.

Comment

Ubuntu user here, had it on my aged IBM/Lenovo thinkpad for about 3 years now. Also run Ubuntu in the in-car PCs. I use it to communicate with other Office uesrs, there are 3 or 4 Open Office packages to choose from that work perfectly. Whenever I am posting pics of dyno data, it's usually from Open Office "Calc" spreadsheet program. It lacks some high end features of MS-Excel that I seldom use (pivot tables, and ActiveX controls).

If you have a reliable piece of older hardware, try out Linux (Ubuntu) - you might like how much quicker it is on older hardware than any Windows OS.
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I disabled updates on our 8 XP boxes a while back. I was fearful that an "update" might come along near the XP-end-of-life that did more harm than good, thereby 'encouraging' non-tech savvy users to upgrade to a new O/S.

We have Win 7 Pro on 7 others that seem to work great.
                    Last edited by BBR; April 4, 2014, 07:40 AM.
                    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I can see Microsoft. sending out an virus to those that didn't upgrade say in 9 months.. would not surprise me at all

Comment

that is a long run, the xp stuff.
                        I learned to base a longer run on a machine, not software.

this one I am running is 2000, xp, vista, win 7.. and off to win 8 if need be, but I feel alright enough to go to at least an i5 or i7 today...and go slow.

This machine still holds some world records, have not caught up to it.
                        1. worlds fastest memory..and its 72 bit realtime error correcting
                        2. wd80 hdd with big buffer.. still have not caught up to it yet
                        3. 90+ watt thermal dissipation says it all, this thing is floating a monster realtime.

this computer was so big, networkers would try to leech on some how for a time source. (Microsoft had to secure it.)

I suffered the win 98 time frame onward, even walked away for a couple of years. Alot of money once upon a time.
                        I got advice and it was proper, no complaints.

Today a home user and server is split off, and that is sad.. no big home power users anymore. I feel I am in the last hemi, and it is fuel injected sitting in a vega.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                          I can see Microsoft. sending out an virus to those that didn't upgrade say in 9 months.. would not surprise me at all
                          why does this comment not surprise me... Trust me, they don't give a F* about you or your XP system.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                            why does this comment not surprise me... Trust me, they don't give a F* about you or your XP system.
                            And why would they wanna start a mass exodus to Mac? .. They just won't maintain it...

Comment

#1 WRITER OF VIRUSES IS apple, notice they never have issues ..

Comment

Working...
                              X