Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows XP "Chernobyl" after April 8 . . . What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

Me too....have it on several computers, although I don't really use them any more. I have a newish laptop with 8, it works ok once you get used to the idiot things. And 7 on my main computer works fine.

there is a difference in how XP and 7, 8 etc do the validation thing. you can install xp on as many computers as you want, you just can't get the updates to work. I don't know about 7 and 8, but from my limited experience it is a bit more picky about only having it on one machine at a time.
    as long as you don't update them... I think around SP2 for XP they added was a 30 day activation window where it won't let you logon unless it is activated. That does bring up a question for me though, even though I have numerous legal copies of XP, will they continue to activate? I'm sure they will. That would be a very sore spot for me. MSN music is a good and horrible example of "Oh hey, we're not honoring the music we sold you. Hope you have it backed up to CD..."

Kinda sucks when the ripped music continues to work but the purchased legal music fails and you have no recourse. I seriously don't even want to think about calling Microsoft's license clearinghouse. Could be the worst customer service on the planet...

oh wait - maybe not. There was the Sony rootkit that would install when you played a CD on your computer. THAT was probably the biggest fiasco I've seen.
    Last edited by Beagle; April 5, 2014, 03:40 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar View Post

Does me good to see you acknowledge that Apple is more efficient.
      If you're looking for a company to buy stock in, Apple is a good one....but I'm looking for cost effective computing, so I go elsewhere.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
      X