Not around anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not around anymore

Wanted to get a set of cheap hydraulic shocks for a beater, and it seems like you just can't buy them anymore. Nothing but gas shocks is all I can find, and man, I do not want to put a set of those POS on! Excuse the wild rant.
    -dulcich

Re: Not around anymore

Why?
    Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich
      Wanted to get a set of cheap hydraulic shocks for a beater, and it seems like you just can't buy them anymore. Nothing but gas shocks is all I can find, and man, I do not want to put a set of those POS on! Excuse the wild rant.
      -dulcich
      Lemme check with my supplier. What make, model do you need?
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

-dulcich
        gas shocks are hydraulic shocks..
        the gas just keep air out if the hydraulic fluid..

Comment

what he said....and who cares anyways, if it's just a beater? hell, they're not supposed to HAVE shocks
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
            what he said....and who cares anyways, if it's just a beater? hell, they're not supposed to HAVE shocks
            My beater Caprice now has Edelbrock shocks. Much better than the crappy Gabriels that I had on it.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

All in all, I don't think there is any gas shock that can match a good old fashioned plain $7.99 hydraulic shock for doing all the things a shock should be expected to do for the money. Plus, I don't want the gas pressure pushing up on my suspension like an air shock, or the crap ride of a set of cheap ass KYB's rattling the bolts off the car. The gas shock is the biggest hoax ever foisted on the unsuspecting suspension wrenchin' public. Foaming oil... my ass.
              -dulcich

Comment

All in all, I don't think there is any gas shock that can match a good old fashioned plain $7.99 hydraulic shock for doing all the things a shock should be expected to do for the money. Plus, I don't want the gas pressure pushing up on my suspension like an air shock, or the crap ride of a set of cheap ass KYB's rattling the bolts off the car. The gas shock is the biggest hoax ever foisted on the unsuspecting suspension wrenchin' public. Foaming oil... my ass.
                -dulcich
                well. the gas will not push up on your suspension..
                and you can get cheapies for 15 bucks..
                and as far as a hoax
                drive a car in the roadways with potholes/frost heaves/etc
                and the ride/control is night and day..

Comment

The only things you can buy for eight bucks these days is a hamburger or a gig of flash memory.

I have a big box of old Shell nors shocks, but they probably won't fit whatever it is you're working on.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by MentalMuffinMan
                    -dulcich
                    well. the gas will not push up on your suspension..
                    and you can get cheapies for 15 bucks..
                    and as far as a hoax
                    drive a car in the roadways with potholes/frost heaves/etc
                    and the ride/control is night and day..
                    MMM, No, don't tell me you are another of the deluded masses; ride control???? Are you telling me to must get a set of Gas Matics? And if I got to squeeze em down to compress them against gas pressure, how can you say they will not push up on my suspension? I don't want a lift kit when I put the shocks on. Tell me how they will control rebound when they are under gas pressure to extend?

Comment

if your car weight it 50 lb.. then yes they'll push up ..
                      if not.. then.. no...

tell ya what..

what you working on..
                      I'm sure there is a guy on ebay that'll sell you a set of n.o.s. hyd shocks.. for stupid money..

u running bais ply tire also..
                      hows your stagger

Comment

Tell me how they will control rebound when they are under gas pressure to extend?
                        Compress them all the way, then let go....do they instantly extend all the way? no....it takes a while. See? they control rebound.

If you don't like the gas in them, you could poke a little hole and let the gas out, then jbweld over the hole. sheesh ;)

My fabulous web page

Comment

Maybe their is something to be said for the fact that the old style is not available.

They just are not as good as new style.
                          Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by CaminoKid
                            Maybe their is something to be said for the fact that the old style is not available.

They just are not as good as new style.
                            You could say the same about radial vs. bias ply tires, you can't get bias ply's any more radials handle better. But there times you still want bias ply's for the look same with the shocks

Comment

Tell me how they will control rebound when they are under gas pressure to extend?
                              It's called Valving, and every shock has it. Usually gas shock use nitrogen, which helps with the dampening effect. Think DirtBike shock, it has a nitrogen chamber. Also just because you have a hard time collapsing a gas shock doesn't mean it's going to raise your car, now it might restore your car to it's original ride height, but then that's a good thing. But I've ran gas shocks on everything I own and never had them raise my car. So I think your a little misinformed there.

Comment

Working...
                              X