Resonator Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resonator Guitars

For the longest time, my avatar was a photo of me holding the Dobro. Rode along like that for a long time until I realized, that's not me anymore. So I put Red's mug shot on there. Getting ready as I can for the jam session in the mountains in a couple weeks (the Spring Blooms Tour), Im all over again fascinated with music and the tools to do it with. Wow, it's fun, but I just need a reason to do it (play). Been playing off and on for 40 years, I'll never get any better, even if I dedicated full days to it, and that's ALL I did, like the paid musicians. But it's fun to get back to it, I reckon like a real car guy installing a blower or something. Man oh man it feels good to play. I've got some tools, I like the resonator guitars as well as the electric stuff. The resonators, I think in my mind, you might as well dance with the one that brung ya. Putting a steel slide on those strings, I forget everything else. That sound. That wonderful sound. I don't care who's playing it. That sound, it gets my rocks off immediately. Gosh, that sound, and I don't care who's playing it. 1977 model Dobro. The real deal. It plays great and it rings like a bell. THERE it is, that sound. And another one in the fleet: Real junk. Galveston. I "won" that one in an Ebay bidding war for $250 from an online music store in Texas, only to find out later that it's worth about $180. But it plays good, and sounds like it should. A wood resonator. Nasal. Especially creamy when you put a glass slide on it. I loaned it to a buddy of mine and told him and his wife, "If somebody breaks into your house and you need a weapon, use THIS (the guitar), it's plenty heavy enough. Grab it like this (by the neck), and wham the bad guy over the head and put the guitar out by the street in the morning if it's spattered with blood, I don't want it back after that." A Continental copy of a National Tricone. An off-brand by my estimation, but very expensive. Proclaimed to be built to the exact factory specs as the old Nation Tricone. Therefore, it is hard to play, as they were. The neck is just about wider than most other guitars enough to make your fingers hit air with the pick and on the fretboard as well. But it's got another different sound. Johnny Winter says it sounds like a galvanized trash can lid with strings. Nasty. Yep, he's got two of the original ones. Anyhow, fun with strings. Classroom history session over. Carry on.
    Attached Files
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Sweetness.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

More chrome there than Earl's steelies..........
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
        More chrome there than Earl's steelies..........
        The Dobro is chrome plated brass, I think. It ain't going anywhere. The Tricone copy is polished nickel, it's getting real dull on the human-contact points. But together, they've got nothing on Earl. Earl stands out in the crowd, no matter where.

Comment

Let's see if this resonates P

Comment

Originally posted by Casper View Post
            Let's see if this resonates P

Sure it does. Even if you have to beg the fans to cheer for you in a huge venue.

And the photo image - Peavy. Great stuff, great folks. American based. Alabama. They'll send you an instruction book for a powered 16-channel board you bought from somebody third hand in North Carolina. They'll stick ten dollars' worth of stamps on the envelope and mail it right to ya. They sure will. Peavy. Buy some. Peavy. I'm glad you brought that up. Yeah, I'll do a commercial for them. I just did.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post

The Dobro is chrome plated brass, I think. It ain't going anywhere. The Tricone copy is polished nickel, it's getting real dull on the human-contact points. But together, they've got nothing on Earl. Earl stands out in the crowd, no matter where.
              I'll let him know you said that.......
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                I'll let him know you said that.......
                And tell him Red says "hey." He won't know who Red is, but he'll know what Red means.

Comment

And tell him Red says "hey." He won't know who Red is, but he'll know what Red means.
                  Speaking of red, did you know Hagars T/A was stolen three times and sports a salvage title? You do now.

Comment

Speaking of red, did you know Hagars T/A was stolen three times and sports a salvage title? You do now.
                    Go away GFogg. Please. Just go away and let us have fun.

Comment

Round necks? I was thinking you had square necks that sit on your lap until you said you used a pick. I love dobros. Guys like Josh Graves and Brother Oswald are my heroes. I'm mostly a banjo picker, but my family got me a Royal square neck dobro for Christmas about 6 years ago, because I always wanted one. I don't play it enuff to be any good, but it still sounds like a dobro so I love it.

Peewee, you must have some video we can see of you picking your Dobro, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Hemi Joel View Post
                        Round necks? I
                        Welllllll........hang on a minute.....It sucks, but I suck, so.....hang on....lemme go find it....got lots more audio than video....hang on, back in a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemi Joel View Post

Okay, now I remember. Go to dailymotion.com

Do a search for blueswee

Got tunes on there and car racin' videos too

Comment

Go away GFogg. Please. Just go away and let us have fun.
                            I don't dissipate that easy P, I'm Casper. You're stuck with me until I say otherwise. Deal with it.

Comment

I don't dissipate that easy P, I'm Casper. You're stuck with me until I say otherwise. Deal with it.
                              Okay. Whatever.

Comment

Working...
                              X