the first time I saw a Superbird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the first time I saw a Superbird

I'm sure I'm not the only one who can tell you when the first time I saw a Superbird was.I was 6,in Kindergarten,1981.I was already a severe car junkie by this time.I went to the Autorama in Buffalo with my Mom and Dad,Uncle Doug,and his buddy Pedro.There was actually a couple birds sitting there,but the one that stuck was blue fire metallic.My Dad told me "this is a Superbird,the ultimate Road Runner" and I thought that the wing with the bird deacal,along with the huge Plymouth logo on the quarter made for the wickedest car I'd ever seen!That Monday I had art class at school.Most of the boys were drawing General Lee's (I was always drawing Chargers and Road Runners) and I drew a blue superbird.One of my classmates asked "what kind of General Lee is that?" and I told it was a Superbird,and that was way better than the General Lee!Through the years I've seen several,but I never saw a Daytona until I finally went to Chryslers at Carlisle this summer!

Re: the first time I saw a Superbird

I remember a guy down in Alexander, NY had three or four of them sitting behind a shop (it's a motorcycle shop now) back in the mid to late 70's. It wasn't the first time I saw one (I remember seeing one new at a dealer in the southern tier) but seeing them all lined up behind that shop was memorable....

Comment

I almost bought one for $3500.00 back in 1975 but ordered a 1976 trans am instead. I wish I knew then what I know now.

Comment

When new, many dealers probably lost $$$ on them, just to finally get them off the lot.

Comment

My father has told me the story of a new Daytona that sat at the Dodge dealer he worked at until 1971. He as a tech replaced the front grill at least 3 diffrent times from discruntled customers or employees kicking it in.

Comment

I remember seeing a yellow Bird sitting on the showroom floor in Crown Point Indiana...I was only 6 yrs old so i guess it made an impression on me...

Comment

Man, youse guys is youngun's! I was about 22 or 23. I was working part time for the Chrysler-Plymouth dealer in Milford Michigan (Colonial Motor Sales, still in business but doing high end used cars now) and our required one came in. We cleaned it up (my job) and put it on the floor. 440/375 car, as I recall. It sat on the floor a LONG time - can't recall when he finally sold it. The car I drooled over was the Hemi 'Cuda - blue metallic with a black vinyl top. I occasionally got to drive it over to the Sunoco station for fuel, then around back to wash it up. We had it for a while, but it found a home in town eventually. I bought a '70 383 4speed RR to replace my "rode hard and put up wet" '68.

Dan

Comment

The first one that I seen was the neighbors son had a yellow super bird. And that is as far back as I can remember.
                HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

I was riding with my dad on a 4 lane highway and we pulled up beside one...I was like what it the world is that!!!!...my dad says..."Just about the rarest thing you'll ever see"...it was maybe 1977...had a thing for the rare cars ever since...I always wanted a car that nobody else had

Comment

Slightly hi-jacking the thread but , the first time I saw a DAYTONA was on the Showroom floor in Lansing,Mi that would put at 7yrs old. Dad had taken his 68 Sattelite in for service . I 've heard stoies that some SUPERBIRDS sat on lots so long that they were converted to ROADRUNNERS just to sell them.

Comment

The local dealership got one in when they first came out......this was back when car dealerships only was showing one maybe two cars in the showroom...to this day I can remember my reaction......I always liked Roadrunners (my brother in law got the first one in town a B5 blue one).....but the large spoiler on the back was a real turn off. We all talked about how much attention it would draw to the car.

Comment

My Dad always told me he'd rather have a regular Charger R/T or Road Runner.I guess I would too kind of,you definitely aren't going to be confused with anyone else when driving a wing car.And the talk of showrooms got me thinking.My Dad always told me about Medina Chrysler Plymouth had a B5 blue AAR 'Cuda in the showroom,and he and his friends were like "why's it only have a 340 in it?"

Comment

There was one in a garage just north of Holmes rd. on Pleasant Grove rd. here in Lansing. I remember it walking home from Jr. High(25 years ago :), I was a rusty and faded Petty Blue car. I've seen it mention in car mag's before, but it sat. Now it's gone, and heard mention of one that was purchased from Lansing by Steve Atwell, but I don't know for sure.

Comment

Hey min301 I lived between Perry & Laingsburg when I was a kid!Sorry everyone else.

Comment

Working...
                            X