Pros and Cons: 2014 Ram Mega Cab Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and Cons: 2014 Ram Mega Cab Diesel

My cousin recently sold his first Ram and bought a 2007 mega cab. I got to check it out this past weekend and lord...so much room... I love my SS and it's fulfilled every need I've had, but I'm thinking it may be time for a change. After looking at a new one on the lot this afternoon, and running numbers for trading in my truck and the 300, it's totally doable. The only issue is I haven't had much experience with a manual transmission, but eh, no biggie. Otherwise, thoughts, suggestions, pros/cons?
    Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Cons = it's a Dodge, uses camel pee, tags and insurance will be through the roof(why I'll never buy a new car again), they are gutless compared to a Duramax, the rest of the truck will fall apart before the engine does, did I say it was a Dodge, and they are ugly looking.

Pros = Cummins diesel for an engine

Also check on how long the brakes last, I have 77,000 on my '06 Duramax and still on the original pads, I hear going over 100,000 on the original brake pads is common, also for maintenance all I've had to do was change the oil and filters, hell I still have the factory drive belt on it.
    The Green Machine.
    http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Our insurance is through the roof anyway with 4 vehicles, 2 of which only have seat belts as the safety features. I have nothing against Dodge, I've just always been a Chevy girl. The biggest draw is it meets all of our criteria for a family/useful vehicle. Plus I just like big trucks I just don't know much about diesels how how these trucks perform.
      Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

I LOVE my (early) '02 Dodge Diesel. It's NOT slow (been clocked at 117+ at ECTA and it's very close to stock) but mine is the earlier, smaller engine. I have nothing against the Ford or Chevy but I know the Cummins better. I don't know much about the newer fuel system either, but the Bosch system on mine is the only thing on the engine that's needed any attention. Mine's an auto trans so that experience doesn't translate for you.

Dan

Comment

All the big Diesel trucks are great, if you do a bunch of towing this will be the way to go. I drove a '13 Dodge CDT a few months ago and was VERY impressed. It's huge! I did the math and that $1 more per gallon was the reason I went with a gas truck. A good friend has an older CTD with the manual transmission and it's great! It's not at all like driving a manual trans car, more like a tractor as you don't need to feed the throttle when letting the clutch out.
          That new smaller Diesel,3.0L EcoDiesel V6 that Dodge is putting in trucks looks like a great option if your not towing 30 foot trailers every day.

I need to tow occasionally so I need a truck that can do it well, but not as it's primary job. I went with a 4-door F-150 EcoBoost, also a huge back seat, only slightly smaller. Happy so far;)
          Last edited by mike343sharpstick; April 15, 2014, 04:07 PM.

Comment

No way would I buy a diesel for everyday driving. And now way when the trade has a LS engine.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

go for it. 10mpg at 4.10+ a gallon... that doesn't sound like a family needed vehicle.. how much room you need, there is 2 of you.. and even when you have children, they will still be small when it's 8 year old truck.. our sport trac is plenty big enough for 5 adults, I'm sure your SS is even bigger.. if I was looking at a vehicle for a family, and truck.. it be a smaller v8 gas.. 4 door.. and down there.. 2wd it'll tow just fine.. for the few times it be doing that.. besides what dealers want for oil burning trucks,should be a crime

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
                Cons = it's a Dodge, uses camel pee, tags and insurance will be through the roof(why I'll never buy a new car again), they are gutless compared to a Duramax, the rest of the truck will fall apart before the engine does, did I say it was a Dodge, and they are ugly looking.

Pros = Cummins diesel for an engine

Also check on how long the brakes last, I have 77,000 on my '06 Duramax and still on the original pads, I hear going over 100,000 on the original brake pads is common, also for maintenance all I've had to do was change the oil and filters, hell I still have the factory drive belt on it.
                I am with big al.

the v8 took over here, aging cummins went on a cheap selling spree for the past couple of years, now all is quiet. Not sure what the voo doo was. Maine has a unique epidemic ending for anything.
                the v8 is just getting started.

I did find a powerstroke that swapped an engine at 165k. that is not good..but damn it sounds good. Owner must be pushing boundaries.

As for winter, or east coast.. today is not yesterday. The diesel is headed for even more awards.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

They are nice looking trucks IMO. The interiors of the new ones also beat the competition. If I were you I'd heavily consider a 2012. It doesn't have DEF, and if since you're in a non emissions state you can run an EGR Delete and exhaust. Add a tuner and you'll get close to 18mpgs when you're not towing. Check the cummins forums for details.
                  Powertour off/on since 2002
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bishir View Post
                    They are nice looking trucks IMO. The interiors of the new ones also beat the competition. If I were you I'd heavily consider a 2012. It doesn't have DEF, and if since you're in a non emissions state you can run an EGR Delete and exhaust. Add a tuner and you'll get close to 18mpgs when you're not towing. Check the cummins forums for details.
                    and void that warranty..

Comment

Pro: Enough torque to drag a house

Con: Cost as much as a house

Going from the SS to the SS Megatron, you might have a day or two of finding curbs with it. Dually should really help with that. haha. They're bloody huge by enormous, but they ride pretty dang good. I think they just steamroll small imperfections in the road. After pulling a trailer with a diesel, it spoils you. The common rails are QUIET, hardly ever smoke, and you can't really tell you're in a diesel by your nose. Pity they cost more so much, I'd love to have one. Pretty much any of the three are 3+ tons of awesome.

Bishir's idea is one I would consider. EGR and exhaust fluid urea are both a hassle, but Mark brings up a valid point. A lot of dealers tend to flake if they find evidence of a "tune"... more than likely, in the end, the truck will eventually fall off the still running engine.
                      Last edited by Beagle; April 16, 2014, 05:39 AM.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                      X