Good kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good kid

Pdub, with his love/hate relationship with his neighbor kids, encouraged me to tell about a great kid.

I have friends who have adopted 2 special needs kids (one is like 10, the other 6ish) from China. This story is about the youngest one.

The slide happened in Oso about the time most kids (including this one) were on spring break. This kid, (mind you he has some major mental and physical disabilities) took it upon himself to make a donation bank for Oso out of a milk container. He took it to school after break was over, and started the donation with $6.00 of his own money. The idea went viral in the school, and the rest of the students donated nearly $400 to the cause. (100 student school). Last night, he presented the money to our Search and Rescue group.

Neat kid, some would say he's destine for greatness; but I'd assert that he's already great.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Thats a great story, there are kids out there like this it's just a shame that we dont hear about it much anymore.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I'd assert that your assertion is correct.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

There's lots of them out there. We bought a car couple years ago. Guy said bring it back Sat and I'll have the lot boy detail it. Brought it back Sat the kid jumps in the car and drives me home. I figure I'll learn something talking to him since I don't have much contact with many young people. I ask if lot boy was all he did. He says no I go to the local college full time he was at the Jr level, he has his own detailing business, even has a van with portable water tank and other stuff to do detailing at my house, gives me his business card, and then he helps his dad most evening with his business putting up office partitions. I'm thinking why don't I hear about this kid instead of some guy sticking a needle in his arm snuffing something up his nose.

This is kind of a long rant but this in a sore point with me. I hear all time about how bad kids are but before I retired I work woth a bunch of kids who happened to be soldiers. I had 27 of them under my charge developing training material. These guys weren't material for wearing a paper hat and asking if you wanted fries with that. They were smart, polite, of course clean since they were soldiers and driven. They all had to come from our community so some folks are doing it right. There's nothing wrong with Americas youth, we just get to read about the few bad ones in the press. This is still a great country and we are passing it on to a great group of youngesters. Sorry but it's important to me and don't ask me about my grandson, The worlds greatest grandkid

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
          Thats a great story, there are kids out there like this it's just a shame that we dont hear about it much anymore.
          Yes it is and yes it is.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

There are some great kids out there but its like y'all said all they're going to talk about are the bad ones. Kinda like some of the "special interest groups " out there running their mouths while the rest of us work to keep this a great nation, the good kids are going to college or already have their nose to the grind stone making something for themselves. Yeah kinda a sore spot too.
            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Bad headlines dominate the front pages, and good headlines are buried ...as well as corrections of accused that turned to be false.. ..Cool that the kid did the collection!

Comment

my dad adopted from a place not doing so good...
                With a story from tiny baby til now, I still don't get it.

I met a "good kid" once, we were the loudest most ambitious on the first day of school. Very happy to see other little tikesters.

It came time for reading and he was taking forever so I kicked his chair. He turned around with bifocals on, I did not know he was blind.
                After a short yelling match I read his part of the book.. I won't mention when the whole class cried.

we would have been friends for life. No bullshit version.

I still don't get reaching out to places that took 1000 years to realize they are killing themselves. When america is getting killed by their modern stuff ..

some years later, there was a new york politician, diagnosed as blind since birth, or close to it.. I'd swear I saw that kids face again. He did have that kind of will.

Anyway, those that can be helped listen..helpless, and feeding it with a dramatic tale. I don't get it.
                When digital first came around, I got an mpeg2. Complained about lighting, sometimes it was never correctable. My adopted little sister was maybe 10 years old when I got talking of this while she was in the room.

She is going to college today for background/stage lighting work...whooda thunk it.

there is motivation waiting to leap. Kids listening all the time, perhaps to forget why they jump up to do what they do in the end.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 17, 2014, 09:39 AM.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

There are actually a lot of 'em - I suspect the majority. I met two in two days when we were working on the Avanti cage. So even in Georgia!

Sad that you pretty much only hear about the losers.

Dan
                  Last edited by DanStokes; April 17, 2014, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X