Those Moments of Prepartion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those Moments of Prepartion

In sports, all sports......there is risk. Be it land speed or football or drag racing or motocross or NASACAR .....all of those things. And everybody involved has to have a moment of thought about it, the risk. It's a pensive moment, a private moment before the event, like, WHY am I doing this? This is some really dangerous stuff, but it's worth it. The moment when you're really going to do it makes you think about it. And you, in those few moments of thought, rationalize why it's all worth the risk. It's because that's in fact what you live for and were born to do.

So, what does a professional baseball player think, while he's standing out there in right field, and nobody has hit a ball toward him all day, he's making 20 million dollars a year? He's probably thinking he forgot to pee before the 4 hour game got started.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

As a former unpaod right fielder, the short answer to that question is....yes. and also, I dont know what people dislike dandelion so much, they're kinda pretty...at lay that's what my 8yr old self thought.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I don't think anyone thinks about the risk of what they are about to do. Back in the day when I was racing nobody discussed the risk. Speaking for myself, I was always nervous before the start of the race however once I was strapped in that all when away. Never did understand why I felt that way even to this day. Could be I'm just short on brain cells!
      Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
      The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Never could eat on derby day.. Still can't when I have a car the kids are driving.. Both kids are the same way.. Butterflies untill the first hit then it all goes away for them..but for me, it's not till it's over do I relax.. There ysed to be a guy called " Crazy Mike" who would munch on a $6 burger going into the arena, rewrap it and stick it under his seat and finish it while being towed out afterwards... Another guy named "Lil Randy" 5-4. Car was built to fit him.. After getting my kids strapped in line to the arena, I helped Randy strap in, he moved his helmet so I could see his mouth "I GOTTA PEE!".. lucky there was a honeypot nearby and he used it while I steered from outside .. In short.. Yes there are " OH DAMN, I GOTTA PEE" moments'

Comment

Jumped out of an airplane 186 times never was very worried about getting hurt. In fact most times I was more concerned about what I was going to do when I got to the ground. Airborne! A great way to get to work!.

Comment

We have pretty busy schedules at the racetrack. One guy would always decide, at the last minute, that he had to pee.

We began to write on the printed schedule GGPN. Which meant Geoff, go pee now.
            I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
              We have pretty busy schedules at the racetrack. One guy would always decide, at the last minute, that he had to pee.

We began to write on the printed schedule GGPN. Which meant Geoff, go pee now.
              Really, it was an abstract thought on my part, the thread theme, I kinda just wanted to make fun of baseball players.

But in the same theme, when I ran Red at The Mile, the second run, the "Go For It All" run after the 125 mph qualifying run....It rained a lot that time. I only got two runs in all weekend, some folks who dallied around getting back in line only got one. Waited all day on Sunday to get to the starting line, Red and I were there, staged up, looking down that airport runway.

And then I looked to the right. Goshamighty look at all the people, a mile's worth of them. That was the first event held at Wilmington, and it was a real big deal. Everybody turned out to see what land speed was all about. For about two seconds, it was stage fright. It really was. But then I thought, "They're not looking at me." That thought came from when Matt led us to Maxton as spectators. Nobody there looked at the track, they were working on their cars. So I relaxed.

And when the dude said GO, I sure went. With the HAND BRAKE SET on the car, because I got tired of holding the clutch in, waiting for so long. GO? Yeah, okay. GO! But only I knew it and nobody else cared.
              Last edited by pdub; April 18, 2014, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Flagger usually stands near my car...hand upraised 5-4-3-2 green flag waves and the roar starts.. I was watching ..usually go on 2 and nail the guy behind me.. One time, I floored that Caddy.. IT NO MOVE! Whaaaa? Oh. Neurtal.. Before I can find reverse, not park, I'm nailed.. Yep, I got " Deaf Bobbed! "

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                  Flagger usually stands near my car...hand upraised 5-4-3-2 green flag waves and the roar starts.. I was watching ..usually go on 2 and nail the guy behind me.. One time, I floored that Caddy.. IT NO MOVE! Whaaaa? Oh. Neurtal.. Before I can find reverse, not park, I'm nailed.. Yep, I got " Deaf Bobbed! "
                  HhahaHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, I can dig that. Yep.

Comment

if its really scary, good humans see time ahead.
                    godspeed.

all else is fun.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have a check list (for dummies) hanging from the dash because it's terrible to have your helmet on, firesuit zipped up, gloves on, your swing out side bars pinned in place and your 5 point Harness buckled only to find out that no one pulled/activated the 12V switch below the tail light, yep been there and done that! Also I do get a bit anxious/nervous sitting in the staging lanes but as soon as you're given the OK to make your pass and you start the engine it all goes away!
                      sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Working...
                      X