Let's talk VIDEO camera's!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk VIDEO camera's!!!

I figured there's no point in whoring up the sticky for the job opening at CarJunkie...

Tell me about camera's you've used, or camera's you want! (VIDEO)

I started with REAL cheap sony handycam's and about 3 years ago made the investment for my first 3CCD camera, after much research I found that the Sony DCR-VX2100 could not be beat for low light situations (it's LUX rating is ZERO, which is hard to find in pro-sumer cameras)

This site saved my life when I was trying to decide how to spend my money, check out the review on the VX2100 - http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-review.htm

I have played with the FX1 HD camera by Sony that came out shortly after I bought my non-HD 3CCD camera, I love it as well, but it is rated down to 1 LUX which doesn't quite cut it for the street racing I film.

The main reason I haven't gotten into Canons is they almost all lack the ability to perminately fix the focus to infinity for LOOOW LOOOW light instances (street racing ) Sony has a switch to go to Auto, Manual, or Infinity

I tried out a GL2 at night and couldn't stand having to use the focus ring to focus out to infinity EVERY TIME I turned the camera on! I messed with an XL2 for a short time and love the camera, but didn't think I could get around the fact that it doesn't have a viewing screen for what I do.

Anyway... on to your experiences....

Re: Let's talk camera's!!!

BTW, forgive me if this has already been posted, it's very possible!

Comment

I want whatever camera you and the IMVfilms dudes use :D

Comment

I believe IMV is using GL2's
        They have the luxary of having a film crew, and Sav is one badass commentator, he has the perfect voice! (I don't )

I'm using a VX2100

A bit bulkier and uglier ;)

Comment

Kyle.... I'm VERY interested in a small Camera that will work mostly in my shop... but also on the road... mostly lighted stuff... even the night time drag's I do are lighted...

So I'm interested in this thread too...

Keith

Comment

I don't have quite as much experience with the smaller / handheld cameras because I haven't shopped for one in a while, and that level of camera has a full line of new cameras with new features coming out yearly, every brand seems to come out with 5-8 new cameras every year.

I'm sure there's plenty of people who can comment on them here though. Generally I stick with Canon or Sony with those cameras. Mini-DV is a must, Firewire output is a must as well.

Comment

Thanks... watch this next post and see if I need one? Say tomorrow? LOL

Comment

You NEED HD buddy... ;) I'm looking into a medium level HD camera myself..

Comment

I don't know how much benifit I would have, there might be a little quality difference in the DVD's I made (if they're shot during the day) but unless I'm using HD DVD's or blue-ray (not happening anytime soon) or broadcasting (HA!) I don't see a benifit that justify's the upgrade and extra cost.

I don't understand differences in HD, but it's my understanding that the HD quality in a $600-1000 HD camera is NOT nearly the same as the HD in a $3000-10,000 camera (duh)

Comment

Originally posted by 1320Video
                    I figured there's no point in whoring up the sticky for the job opening at CarJunkie...

Tell me about camera's you've used, or camera's you want! (VIDEO)

I started with REAL cheap sony handycam's and about 3 years ago made the investment for my first 3CCD camera, after much research I found that the Sony DCR-VX2100 could not be beat for low light situations (it's LUX rating is ZERO, which is hard to find in pro-sumer cameras)

This site saved my life when I was trying to decide how to spend my money, check out the review on the VX2100 - http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-review.htm

I have played with the FX1 HD camera by Sony that came out shortly after I bought my non-HD 3CCD camera, I love it as well, but it is rated down to 1 LUX which doesn't quite cut it for the street racing I film.

The main reason I haven't gotten into Canons is they almost all lack the ability to perminately fix the focus to infinity for LOOOW LOOOW light instances (street racing ) Sony has a switch to go to Auto, Manual, or Infinity

I tried out a GL2 at night and couldn't stand having to use the focus ring to focus out to infinity EVERY TIME I turned the camera on! I messed with an XL2 for a short time and love the camera, but didn't think I could get around the fact that it doesn't have a viewing screen for what I do.

Anyway... on to your experiences....
                    Thats pretty much my experiences in a nutshell too. I like the XV2100 and have used it, but already had a pair of GL1's at that point and didn't see a need to change. Cannons to have a switch to make them go to infinity, but I forget where it is. Its in the software however and not an external switch. I rarely use it because its a PITA and I just manual focus it. I use a monopod or tripod for most everything when I am at the races.

I found the GL1/GL2's have very bright optics and great quality and are very robust. I never have any issies at night, usually I just pointed it at the ground it in an area that had some ambient light (like from the open door of my truck) when I turned it on and it would focus and be fine on its autofocus as long as you kept it on target. It has issues in the dark if you turned it on and tried to autofocus.

I have done quite a bit and street racing filming also, and found it worked just fine. I found that an external shotgun mic was indispensable since the on camera mics were very sensitive and picked up everything over a 210 degree arc. With the shotgun, it only picked up what I was aiming at.

Its been my experience that professional sound it just as important as good quality video.

I still have some footage from the HAMB drags done on a GL1 that is crisp and clear and very nice. I was going to do a DVD of it but some asshat stole my laptop from my ex GF's car and it had most of the DV tapes in the case and my external HD. I still have a handful of the original DV tapes and had thrown together a quick 4 minute video that is on youtube right now if you are bored. I think I pulled the video from the cam, ripped the song, and edited the video together in about 1.5 hours. I used generic titles and it shows!

What tapes do you use? I use Panasonic Pro tapes that I buy by the box. $30 for a box of them and they are great.

Those $1000-3000 HD cameras have poorer quality than my oldest GL1.

Oh year - I also have a couple of Bolex Reflexcameras. I want to try them out! I have both an H8 and a H16. I think the H8 would give a wonderfully grainy vintage feel!

Comment

i just wanna know if freiburger has a connection to buy nikon at a discount.

Comment

I WANTED TO PURCHASE A NICE HD CAMERA. DOES ANYONE KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE CANON XH-A1.

Comment

I borrowed my friends GL2 and I can't say I had the same success trying to film street racing, I was rather pissed off actually.

What shotgun mic do you use? I've been wanting to get one but holding out in case I upgrade cameras and it comes with one. (that and they're real bulky and get in the way)

I use Sony ProDVC or whatever they are, I buy them buy the case, it comes out to $3/tape I think?

No, I didn't lay these ou just for this post, this was from a while ago, I have 50 more to add to this collection

Comment

ick, I haven't seen a HD camera that had even marginal low light performance. All these new HD cameras being touted as high quality? J U N K

even the poor reviews don't do them justice. Like I said in the other post, we have the JVC Everio HD camera, and on an HD TV all I noticed was the CRAP quality of the compression that they use. Not even a real HD signal. sad!

I'm not a video camera guru, but I know a thing or two about still photography. Nikon D40x for the dirty/dusty work, Canon 40d for the important stuff.

-scott

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Bah! We don't care about still camera's, start your own thread! hahah j/k

Actually, lets do start a still camera thread ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X