Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Comet Washing

Originally posted by DanStokes
    Orange machine buffing compound followed by white swirl remover and a coat of wax (because you've removed all protection and patina) applied by hand. That's all I've ever had to do and it works great. If you're nervous you can use the white 3M stuff (very mild) and tape the edges but after a panel or two you'll be buffing like an old pro. Why does anything dealing with bodywork scare folks? It's WAY simpler than building an engine! I've done both.......

Dan
    One would think so....

I have a pretty good field goal average with engines and a mediocre batting average with buffing.

Steve
    Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Looks like some good advice here. Thanks! The paint on my Mustang is pretty oxidized. I can't afford to repaint it, but I want it to look good and am torn about buying a buffer and trying to restore the original paint, or go for the Comet and get a satiny more uniform look. Sounds like most of the scratches might go away with the Comet but so will some of the gloss. I'll have to do some testing and see what I get.

Comment

Wouldn't Comet be a problem with clear coat? Some of those factory finishes are pretty thin.

Comment

Originally posted by 62-impala-ss
          Wouldn't Comet be a problem with clear coat? Some of those factory finishes are pretty thin.
          I was thinking the same thing. I'm not really sure. Not sure if I want to ruin what little clear coat is left.

Comment

You guys are completely over anal-izing the concept of the Comet wash. It's just to clean the crap off a POS where you know the paint is junk and you don't want to waste unnecessay time while making it look "clean-er".
            -dulcich

Comment

exactly Steve...

Comment

ok, i'm gonna try and go for it tomorrow.
                i found a pic. looks the same right now, just no snow.

i was thinking about spray painting the trim black. try and do something with the wheels, kinda an afternoon make over.....only it will probably take until friday.
                Originally posted by TC
                also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Perfect candidate for comet washing.... I just put a decent bit in a bucket, fill with water and wash normally. It really works well getting moss and ground in dirt off of paint... especially when you're prepping for paint.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

cool, i'm gonna do it then. i'll take some pics when i'm done.......
                    Originally posted by TC

Comment

Dude... you don't need Comet...

( Think Samsonite )... :D :D

K

Comment

that was a while ago, it's nice here now ;D
                        Originally posted by TC

Comment

Okay, time for pictures of Comet washing. It's simply a mild abrasive.... in my case, I needed to get the moss, ground in dirt, and decay off of a truck that will soon be sporting a nice primer black.
                          Before

Amount used per bucket (x2)

After

Comment

Man, that's the truck I had in High School. Mine had a 350 (swapped in) and a 4 speed though....

Brian
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Soon it'll have a 98 454 and (probably) turbo 400.

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel
                                ok, i'm gonna try and go for it tomorrow.
                                i found a pic. looks the same right now, just no snow.

i was thinking about spray painting the trim black. try and do something with the wheels, kinda an afternoon make over.....only it will probably take until friday.
                                the pics don't really show it that well, but it works pretty good. there are some places that i should go over again.

Originally posted by TC

Comment

Working...
                                X