$1500 Per String

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1500 Per String

When I was working on Red I ordered all kinds of stuff from all over, so I get emails and catalogs from all over. It's fun. Same way with music stuff. Got a catalog from Musician's Friend today and man did I slobber on it. It's glossy coated paper so the pages got stuck together from the slobber. It's downright amazing these days, compared to when I was buying, especially the tech stuff. So much better and so much cheaper, the recording stuff, etc. But I sure don't need a bit of it. All the stuff I already have is a whole lot better than I'll ever be. Don't even deserve what I already have. But then I got to what would be the centerfold if it was a Playboy magazine. Much heavier grade of fancy glossy paper, one sheet stapled into the center of the catalog. Look at....

I bought a Strat one time because it was so pretty, loved the finish on it. So I took it home and couldn't play it. The 22 fret arrangement, I couldn't play it. I could sell Red and Bluebelle and Bubba and buy this thing. But then I couldn't play it and I couldn't get anywhere to play it if I could play it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pdub; May 24, 2014, 02:34 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I used to build stuff that nice for a lot less.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      I used to build stuff that nice for a lot less.
      I'm sure that's true times 10.

Working musicians are poor, if there are any more working ones left. Who buys the stuff like that guitar? Who can afford it? I reckon if they sell one a year they've made their overhead for having it on the shelf for so long. To me, my simple little mind, that's just mind boggling. That's just....no, I don't get it. If I could afford it I wouldn't want it. That's 5 times more expensive than anything at the top of the line anybody in the world would need to bang on and make tunes. That's some kind of extravagance I just don't understand.

Like a gold-plated oil filter for your car. Yeah, that's it. That's what it is.

Comment

Some expesive wood there!
        I'm happy with my Indo Squier w/Classic 50's p-ups, and my dearly departed best friends 1959 GA6.

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
          Some expesive wood there!
          I'm happy with my Indo Squier w/Classic 50's p-ups, and my dearly departed best friends 1959 GA6.

Nice ride, that's it. Noise. And fun.

I'd love to play electric again (that's my passion) but for years and decades it's been "dance with the one that brung ya," the acoustics. Just ain't got no help to play electric. It takes three pieces at least (and two of those are bound to be flaky musicians, so it's not worth the effort). Not that I don't have the hardware. Yeah, I've got hardware. Piled up and gathering dust.

Comment

I don't think I'll ever be a player worthy of having something that nice, let alone know how to correctly use it. I enjoy my rig, though. 60th anniversary Powerhouse Strat through a re-worked Hot Rod Deluxe. Less than a grand in the combo and it suits me to a "T."
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

One of these days Ron, one of these days we'll guzzle fermented hops and make amplified noise at the same time. I'm not nearly as good as you, different basic style, but I'm looking forward to it. It's a three-letter word - FUN.

Comment

always envied those with musical ability...I have a acoustic that my pap gave me. He used to play it for me what I was a pup. Its a Sigma DM5 basically a cheap Martin. I Love the tone of this guitar, really has a sound like nothing I've ever heard...Wish the hell I could play it. I suffer from stupid fingers...they wont do what I tell them...put a wrench in my had...no problem...a guitar...forget about it.
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Psssst....Hey Joe....tools and a guitar? Try a deepwell socket on your pinky finger. Open tuning. Letter rip. It's nearly stupid easy, like cheating almost. I hate to reveal that, but playing slide is stupid easy. The purists call a slide a crutch, and it's said for a reason. They're just jealous we can make so much sound with so little effort.

Comment

Custom Guitars are very cool and popular. As expensive as they can get no custom guitar builders have ever gotten really rich and many have lost their ass even trying to make a decent living because a good instrument is a product of a lot of love and time or an extremely sophisticated production routine. Think about how many HAVE gotten very, very rich buying and selling vintage Fenders and Gibsons. I can't begrudge anyone asking 5 figures for a custom handbuilt axe to order.
                    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Working...
                    X