Dadgum Weather Guessers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dadgum Weather Guessers

It's one of my favorite subjects. Weather Guessers. They say on TV why they missed yesterday's forecast and promise us what it'll do tomorrow.

Wilmington, Ohio, well, let me back up. Weather Underground, my favorite online weather "source," has "upgraded" their site. Some computer nerds decided what they think we should see. And to give them credit, yes, it's fancy. It's glamorous. It's.....yes, if you can figure it out it's probably all there. Whiz-Bang graphics and charts you can mouse-hover over and get even MORE information..

So, I don't know why, but I'm already looking forward to the weather conditions at next weekend's gig at the Ohio Mile. It doesn't matter, I'm going. I'll be there.

As an example, and I'll state that I'm really taking this out of context, Weather Underground's new high tech look, with all the charts and graphs and what have ya...they say, just as an example....there will be a 67% chance of rain in Wilmington Ohio at 10:00 p.m. next Friday. That's six days away.

I'm saying there's a 73% chance that they shouldn't even have changed the site to be so fancy. Nobody is any better than they've ever been at predicting the weather for more than a day at most, and that's a long shot. And I'm just sayin.'
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Notice how the 10 day forecast tends to change daily?... Went from low 60's yesterday to low 80's today.. Trying to get the darn lawn mowed!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
      Notice how the 10 day forecast tends to change daily?... Went from low 60's yesterday to low 80's today.. Trying to get the darn lawn mowed!
      Yesterday I did the scientific stuff, checked the radar before I went out to drive Junior the Mower around and mow the weeds. It was all clear, good to go. A few storms around, but not here.

Got the yard done...poorly, but done - weeds demoralized for another week....looks like somebody actually lives here.....and I was barely back in the house before a big storm happened. It wasn't rolling through, it formed on top of us. Lightning, lots of it. Knocked the power off, etc. It's just insane to me how "they" bother to predict the weather a week in advance. Just insane.
      Last edited by pdub; May 31, 2014, 12:52 PM.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Meteorology... the only job in the world where you can be dead wrong 100% of the time and still keep the job and even get a raise if you are popular...
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I wish the Weather folks would predict a rain-free weekend,and get the forecast right.

Weather Bug is the best when it comes to an Iphone IMO,but all the weather sites on a PC work pretty well. I just go with NOAA.GOV or the NWS itself most of the time though. It's straight up and no BS for the most part with those folks.
          Last edited by Karberator; May 31, 2014, 01:06 PM.
          sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

I use Intellicast.com. Really like the hourly feature too.
            Oh....politicians also get to keep their job, right or wrong. They just lie their way through the situation as needed. And, they keep their job while they are trying to get a better one. What's wrong with that picture??
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
            X