screwing radials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screwing radials?

my wheels are turning inside the tires, M/T says NOT to put screws in the wheels on radials... but ive seen lots of them at the track,what gives ?

Do they loose air? Are there any problems with them turning? Might be something that looks wrong, but isn't a big deal.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

one tire slipped about 3'' on the wheel the other about an 1inch..

Comment

mess up the balance?
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

felt good at 130...and felt ok on the drive home @65..

Comment

Without actually knowing to begin with, but just guessing...I'd say their radials may have less wire wraps making up the bead, or possibly driving screws into them may compromise the attachment of the cords going across from one side to the other. Your slip is not a whole lot...I wonder if doing something goofy like just breaking the bead, spraying an even application of fan-belt-grip into there and re-inflating would help. Of course there ideally should be no slip at all, so I'd sure want to do something.

Comment

According to MT, beadlocks are the answer.

Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

For a full-on industrial-strength case of slippage, you'd have to. You'd double the grip or more likely quadruple it. But for just a little slip, what a pain. It'd be nice to have something that fixed it, "just enough".

Comment

I suggest destroking the engine.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

JeffMcKC just uses some adhesive of some kind on the bead. IIRC, something simple like weatherstrip adhesive or black right stuff.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                      JeffMcKC just uses some adhesive of some kind on the bead. IIRC, something simple like weatherstrip adhesive or black right stuff.
                      Hitack?
                      Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Putting screws in radials is a good way to rip it at the screw circle... We always screw our's in.. They stay on the bead and flop in the dirt... Better traction than bare rim.. I notice street radials will rip and it will almost be like cutting the bead off..... For your application, I'd break the bead wire brush the areas if they have any build up on them, and wipe the surfaces with acetone and air back up.. If they still move add a good adhessive.. Thin layer of rubber cement 2-4 days before needing them..

Comment

Working...
                        X