Katrina victims sue gov't for $3 quadrillion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Katrina victims sue gov't for $3 quadrillion

asuming a population of 300,000,000 people, that is 10,047,234$ for each person, to be precise. pretty rich huh?

Comment

Who is more at fault here, the people that live there or the government that knew the levees could break and did nothing to prevent it?

I think there was some expectation of safety.
      Cognizant Dissident

Comment

how about the people who lived there and squandered levee money on fountains and crap like that?
        how about the people who lived there and filed enviorenmental law suits to stop levee construction?
        how about the people who lived there and sued to stop imminent domain seizures to facilitate levee construction?

how many times did the ball get dropped? lots of times. could the corps have done a better job? probably, but you have to have funding first.

the BEST estimate of the health of the new orleans levee system i ever heard was a moderate level 3 hurricane.

once again, everyone who lived there knew they were at risk.

it aint normal to live in a soup bowl.

Comment

Hey guys, I just thought this was a really funny news story since that is more money than exists in the entire world economy. People obviously have strong opinions here.... definitely was not my intention to open up a sore subject. Despite any perceived shortcoming of FEMA or indiscretion by those who lived there, the notion of $3 quadrillion is laughable at best.

Comment

Originally posted by I'm Slow

Hey guys,

the notion of $3 quadrillion

is laughable at best.
            Indeed it is, but it would pay-off over 1/2 of my credit cards!! ;)

Comment

Maybe the schools would be better.
              Every American would have to pay $300,000 in taxes for the next 20 years just to rebuild Lousianna, 20 more years for Mississippi, My God! thats alot of PeeRows.

Comment

This is something that every single tax payer should be mad about.
                It is not goverment money it is YOUR money.

Many other places have flooded before and since.
                Odd that only one place sues.
                Many places in Indiana are now flooded and we are under a flood warning till Sat.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert1320
                  This is something that every single tax payer should be mad about.
                  It is not goverment money it is YOUR money.

Many other places have flooded before and since.
                  Odd that only one place sues.
                  Many places in Indiana are now flooded and we are under a flood warning till Sat.
                  huh?!?!

last time I checked, federal disaster relief funds went to all kinds of "flooded" places. Hurricane Andrew in FL, you think no one there sued for more relief funds? i don't get the people in this thread trying to sort out the New Orleans residents as if they're ALL a bunch of selfish idiots; that kind of generalization should be reserved for the third grade IMO. Also, I think it's safe to presume that a "quadrillion" dollar lawsuit, is probably meant to make a point, not actually win any money. then again, maybe it'll land in front of a crazy liberal judge, and they'll win! :D

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by biginch
                    how about the people who lived there and squandered levee money on fountains and crap like that?
                    how about the people who lived there and filed enviorenmental law suits to stop levee construction?
                    how about the people who lived there and sued to stop imminent domain seizures to facilitate levee construction?
                    How about citing some specific examples? by "people" do you mean goverment employees? residents? might I ask how old you are? (if it's more than 15, I'll be very confused)

how many times did the ball get dropped? lots of times. could the corps have done a better job? probably, but you have to have funding first.

the BEST estimate of the health of the new orleans levee system i ever heard was a moderate level 3 hurricane.

once again, everyone who lived there knew they were at risk.
                    that's like saying "Anyone who was born in Iraq should have known to get out before their kids school accidentally got hit by a Hellfire missile" give me a break. Honestly, who pissed you off in New Orleans??

it aint normal to live in a soup bowl.

lots of things "ain't" normal down in the south, apparently!
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

PLEASE, I have sympathy for all who lose in a Disaster,BUT my A$$ is already sore from the Fleecing by the Governent, I can't afford to fund the next eventual Blister.

Comment

Originally posted by ProRauder
                        I may sound harsh and callous, but can anyone honestly say they didn't see this coming? I mean, really... Build 6 feet below sea level on a coast known for hurricanes.... And just so you know I'm not singularly ticked off by this, I have no sympathy for those that build on fault lines or in sight of an active volcano either.

2cents...

I see you live in Iowa. I have no sympathy for folks that build in areas KNOWN to have tornadoes. If and when your home gets leveled by one, don't tell me you didn't see it coming.

BTW, the entire Gulf and Atlantic coasts are know for hurricanes. I guess we better abandon all those cities. Earthquakes, volcanoes and Tsunamis on the West coast...better leave there before the next one hits. Tornadoes in the Midwest. Get out now. Quite frankly, I can't think of any place safe from any and all forms of disaster.

The $3 quadrillion thing was to make a (humorous) point. Don't get hung up on that. Katrina was probably the biggest natural disaster to hit this country...maybe EVER. Don't compare it to a couple of creeks going over their banks in Indiana. The governments' response (at all levels) to the plight of the people impacted was criminal (still is). Sure, there will be stories of "victims" taking advantage of the situation...some Urban Legends, some real. There are jerks in every situation. How about the hundreds of thousands of folks just like you and me that suffered and are still suffering? Would you be saying the same things if it was you or your family that lived in the area, lost your house and all your possessions, maybe a family member or two, your insurance company refuses to pay even though you paid premiums for the last 20 years and your job is gone?

Comment

One hundred years ago, it was every man for himself. If a guy built a house next to a river, everyone around would say, "What a fool! Doesn't he know that the next big flood will wash his house away?" Then when it happened, that fella would rebuild himself, and was too ashamed of himself to even ask for help, much less demand it. People would come and help him out of the goodness of their hearts. These days, with the tremendous affluence in our country, people are allowed to make foolish decisions without criticism. Then when something catastrophic happens, those people are permitted to demand that everyone else help them, and it happens because Americans are so rich. Who is responsible? You and I, that's who. We vote for leaders that approve all sorts of socioeconomic programs that in the end do not really help anyone; they only encourage prople to do what they want to do instead of what they should do. I am not against all government aid, but I am against liberal programs so that lazy and/or foolish people do not have to survive on their own. I have compassion for the folks in the south, and respect the fact that they do not want to move away from the places they have been born and raised. But they really need to take a look at what is the best for their future, and "move to high ground" and start over with their lives. Our country got to where it is because of personal responsibility and a sense of entrepreneurship, but those days are gone because the rich among us can afford to pay for other's mistakes. Any one disagree? Does any one believe that most things should be shared among us? If so, you're welcome to move to Cuba. They do that there. The results speak for themselves.
                          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
                            One hundred years ago, it was every man for himself. If a guy built a house next to a river, everyone around would say, "What a fool! Doesn't he know that the next big flood will wash his house away?" Then when it happened, that fella would rebuild himself, and was too ashamed of himself to even ask for help, much less demand it. People would come and help him out of the goodness of their hearts. These days, with the tremendous affluence in our country, people are allowed to make foolish decisions without criticism. Then when something catastrophic happens, those people are permitted to demand that everyone else help them, and it happens because Americans are so rich. Who is responsible? You and I, that's who. We vote for leaders that approve all sorts of socioeconomic programs that in the end do not really help anyone; they only encourage prople to do what they want to do instead of what they should do. I am not against all government aid, but I am against liberal programs so that lazy and/or foolish people do not have to survive on their own. I have compassion for the folks in the south, and respect the fact that they do not want to move away from the places they have been born and raised. But they really need to take a look at what is the best for their future, and "move to high ground" and start over with their lives. Our country got to where it is because of personal responsibility and a sense of entrepreneurship, but those days are gone because the rich among us can afford to pay for other's mistakes. Any one disagree? Does any one believe that most things should be shared among us? If so, you're welcome to move to Cuba. They do that there. The results speak for themselves.

so, cliffs notes, everyone got rich and built houses in New Orleans, and all those rich people whose houses are destroyed feel that they're owed money.

Last I checked most of the people in N.O. that were affected by the hurricane, were living well below the national poverty level.

Comment

Creeks right, maybe you should look up some info.
                              Many of the rivers are cresting 11ft over flood stage.
                              This is some of the worst flooding in half a century.

Also everyone seems to forget about other places where flooding happen.

I have compassion for anybody who has been impact by extreme conditions that were beyond thier control. I don't care at for those that use and abuse the system, take advantage of others and prey on them like meat in front of tiger. That sickens me. At least an animal does know any better.

Comment

DieselGeek-- Not quite. The pre-Katrina poverty-stricken individuals who lost their houses want the rest of the nation to build new ones for them. They chose to live in NO. Whether or not they dig themselves out of poverty is another issue; in our country they can if they want to bad enough. The problem is that too many people don't need to because of generous government programs, so they don't. They expect everyone else to carry the ball for them when life is normal, so when a tragedy like Katrina hits the outrage is huge. The fingerpointing inevitably starts, and the government gets the brunt for not doing anything. Who sez the government is responsible to clean up the mess and make sure that everyone has a soft, warm bed and a full stomach? Whatever happened to "Oh crap, we just had a catastrophe, I better take care of myself and my family?" Instead, its "Why doesn't someone take care of me and my family?" I feel that is outrageous for Americans to have that attitude when we have the majority of the world's wealth.
                                Poverty in this nation is not non-existent, but the "poverty level" (the income line at which someone is living in poverty) is extremely high.
                                The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                                X