Katrina victims sue gov't for $3 quadrillion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katrina victims sue gov't for $3 quadrillion

I found this news story linked on cZ28.com and just had to share....

NEW ORLEANS — Hurricane Katrina's victims have put a price tag on their suffering and it is staggering — including one plaintiff seeking the unlikely sum of $3 quadrillion.

A whopping $3,014,170,389,176,410 is the dollar figure so far sought from some of the largest claims filed against the federal government over damage from the failure of levees and flood walls following the Aug. 29, 2005, hurricane.

Of roughly 489,000 total claims, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said it has received 247 for at least $1 billion apiece, including the one for $3 quadrillion.

"That's the mother of all high numbers," said Loren Scott, a Baton Rouge-based economist.

For the sake of perspective: A mere $1 quadrillion would dwarf the U.S. gross domestic product, which Scott said was $13.2 trillion in 2007. A stack of one quadrillion pennies would reach Saturn.

Some residents may have grossly exaggerated their claims to send a message to the corps, which has accepted blame for poorly designing the failed levees.

"I understand the anger," Scott said. "I also understand it's a negotiating tactic: Aim high and negotiate down."

Discuss.

Re: Katrina victims sue gov't for $3 quadrillion

my girlfriend's family home sat under water for most of a year thanks to Hurricane Katrina. One of the few nice neighborhoods near the levee that broke too.

I bet they wish they could sue, in reality for them, dealing with FEMA and the local authorities has been a total screwjob. Fortunately, they were diligent savers and were able to afford the rebuild.

they are moving back into their house in 1 or 2 weeks! after all this time. Waiting on inspector to OK the electrical before it's turned back on. Only 11 months ago they were allowed back into their neighborhood, I was there the first week and helped gut the house.

It's real nice to see the neighbor's house across the street with spraypaint that says "2 corpses east bedroom" on the garage door. Probably not the response you were expecting, but since I have the closer perspective, I thought it was worth sharing!
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I read somewhere that the Governor of Louisiana wanted a Federal grant of $250 billion to rebuild New Orleans.

Now if my math holds up here. The before Katrina population was approximately 489,000. At least that was the claims. That means each and every resident, children included, would receive $511,247. OK. How bout the estimated 119,000 homes that were destroyed would each get $2.1 million dollars to rebuild. Even in pricey Los Angeles, $2.1 million would buy a very nice place. Since many of the homes destroyed were very old and run down, and probably not worth $100,000; that's a big upgrade.

I guess the governor there believes the US gov't should make all the residents millionaires as a repayment and all us taxpayers should pay the bill.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
        I read somewhere that the Governor of Louisiana wanted a Federal grant of $250 billion to rebuild New Orleans.

Now if my math holds up here. The before Katrina population was approximately 489,000. At least that was the claims. That means each and every resident, children included, would receive $511,247. OK. How bout the estimated 119,000 homes that were destroyed would each get $2.1 million dollars to rebuild. Even in pricey Los Angeles, $2.1 million would buy a very nice place. Since many of the homes destroyed were very old and run down, and probably not worth $100,000; that's a big upgrade.

I guess the governor there believes the US gov't should make all the residents millionaires as a repayment and all us taxpayers should pay the bill.
        Your math misses the fact that many, and the most expensive, buildings that need "rebuilt" are not residences. Some awfully large downtown buildings got trashed too. Also I think there is more coastline in Louisiana than juhst New Orleans, so that would make the population figure go higher. I am not sticking up for the politicians and FEMA however, just suggesting some reasons they ask for so much money.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

A quadrillion here, a quadrillion there...

and pretty soon a few more cars

sitting around would be finished. ;)

Comment

I think the person that came up with the $3 quadrillion number should get 3 quadrillion kicks in the ass. However, considering the billions of dollars the U.S.A forks out to countries all over the world just because we can, I think the $250 billion to rebuild NOLA, which I'm sure also includes infrastructure, isn't so bad. I just think there needs to be a line item that all brothels need to be restored to their former beauty (sticky?). I have this opinion after what happens here on Long Island- if you haven't heard of the Hamptons, it's where the wealthy New York City residents frolic in the summertime. Some people got the grand idea of building hoses right in the beach. Surprise, surprise, surprise, (doing my best Gomer Pile voice) when those hurricanes come (we normally get 1-2 a year, some just bad wind, some really bad) the house gets knocked down. Get this- FEMA gives them the money to rebuild the house right where it was. And then again when it's gets knocked down again. So for me doling out money to rebuilt after Katrina is a no-brainer.
            sigpic

Comment

I may sound harsh and callous, but can anyone honestly say they didn't see this coming? I mean, really... Build 6 feet below sea level on a coast known for hurricanes.... And just so you know I'm not singularly ticked off by this, I have no sympathy for those that build on fault lines or in sight of an active volcano either.

2cents...

Comment

i was born and raised within 100 miles of new orleans, we were all taught from an early age "new orleans is below sea level, some day it WILL flood" for that 250 billion dollars, we could build them all homes somewhere else, and should.

since i was old enough to remember, people from new orleans have always regarded themselves as better than the rest of the people in this state, and have talked down to us to show us our place.

now when the bill finally comes due, they expect everyone else to pay it! sorry, new orleans was a craphole before the storm, and now we are expected to build them a better nicer craphole after the storm, just so the next storm can wash it out again? NOT!

the people who live there are already screaming and crying not wanting to elevate, they want the same as they had before, another time bomb.

yes, this is a sore subject. among other things i had to stay home from work for three weeks after the storm to protect my home from people who were taking over unoccupied homes in the area. if you werent home, they would kick in the door and take up residence, the same people who started a riot in downtown baton rouge, the same people who, while being sheltered in local churches, cursed at and ridiculed the church members who had cooked meals out of their own pocket, "i dont want that crap, i want a cheeseburger and french fires, bitch".

who in their right mind wants to throw crap loads of money into the murder capitol of the country?

sadly, the national media squashed most of the awful crap that went on down there and in the surrounding area. the federal government quietly dropped the multibillion dollar fraud investigation out of fear of being accused of racism.

a guy i work with decided to help rescue people in the first couple of days after the storm, before public help was refused (due to rescuees shooting the rescuers and stealing the boats!) he came back with crazy stories about people refusing to get into the boat and be rescued because "we want to ride the helicopter".

find me one deserving adult who can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they were told the city was safe in a storm, i will shut my mouth about paying all of them.

jefferson parish sherrif Harry Lee "YOURE A DAMN FOOL IF YOU DONT GET OUT"

Comment

Originally posted by biginch
                  \
                  find me one deserving adult who can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they were told the city was safe in a storm, i will shut my mouth about paying all of them.
                  you want a cell phone number? the house is above sea level, but the phones aren't turned back on yet. 2+ years later. lol

but seriously, wouldn't every coastal city near sea level be in the same shape if a hurricane rolls in? your post is very interesting. Lots of generalizing I don't get, did someone in louisiana piss you off?

Comment

I dont find issue with the people of louisiana wanting compensated for the lack "give a sh!t" they got from the gov't...but I find it insane that the people of New Orleans didnt expect their city to be decimated by a storm...Its horrible and my heart goes out to everyone there...BUT...c'mon...the city was doomed.....

Comment

i live in louisiana, what i have to say i can say in public, and i didnt think i was being too general, i dont think anyone who lived there has basis to sue for anything.

if the people who had insurance and who are willing to rebuild for themselves need a little help, i am fine with that.

ludicrous sums of money for people and organizations who never intend to be productive..............what a joke.

if i am supposed to be saddened because the phones arent back on, i am not. that was the risk undertaken in living there.

by the way my light bill (entergy) has almost doubled so entergy could pay for rebuilding the power system in new orleans, recently they proposed a 6% rate reduction for the residents of new orleans, but none for me. WTF? so i am supposed to pay no's light bill too?

i am an american taxpayer, i dont want to subsidize mass stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                        Originally posted by biginch
                        \
                        but seriously, wouldn't every coastal city near sea level be in the same shape if a hurricane rolls in?
                        you are absolutely right, most coastal cities are at risk. but when they get hammered, they clean up the mess and move on, the people south of the lake seem to be stuck in a "poor pitiful me" loop expecting salvation to come in an envelope.
                        florida has required homes and businesses destroyed by storm surge to be elevated if rebuilt. why would louisiana be any different?

Comment

don't direct any anger at me, I don't know anyone there suing and I don't know shit about the stuff biginch is posting, but I know people who were living a normal life whose shit got turned upside down, lost all the family photographs, had to move grandma to Oregon and aunts and uncles to Texas, neighbors both drowned, etc. so frankly biginch, I think you're being an insensitive prick. I bet your tone would change if you knew someone who died there, wouldn't it? :

Comment

no it wouldnt, i dont think stupidity deserves a reward.

i am not angry at you. i only get angry when i get my light bill.

yes i am insensitive, i am comfortable with it.

everyone who lived inside the levees KNEW THE RISK OF LIVING THERE!

was it tragic, yes! it was also only a matter of time before it happened, and before it happens again.

Comment

It's a very difficult situation for everyone. There were a lot of people so poor they couldn't get out even if they wanted. How could they afford insurance? On the other hand, Why do we have to buy insurance if we can just sue the government and get our house back?

I don't know how to fix it.

3 quadrillion. Isn't that about 10 million per person in the U.S.?
                              Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Working...
                              X