Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What problems to look for in '67-72 Chevy/GMC pickups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a great deal to me. Enjoy it!

Comment

I think I am going to buy the truck. I spent the day doing some research on possible upgrades, costs for things like tires, windshield and such.

LMC TRucks sells a ton of crap for these trucks. Not sure of their quality. But, they also have windshields too. Looks like they are sealed with rubber seals in a channel.

Tires are easy enought, Currently, the truck has 255/70/16's. Simliar sizes are readily available and depending on where you go, fairly priced. Even easily found on Craigslist. Looks like the truck's 6x5.5" pattern was the same all the way into the '90's.

My local salvage yard has plenty of these trucks and later. Parts for a disc brake and even a later 12 bolt diff are easy enough. So are finding power steering boxes. They have two more '71's ready to be put out in the yard and would let me know when they do.

Since this truck has a newer crate 350, like a ZZ3 engine, switching it over to a TBI injection would be stupid easy with only a fuel pump upgrade the real challenge.

I plan on losing that heavy ass SM425 or whatever tractor transmission. and install my other A833OD into it. I only would need the front driveshaft and trans cross member for a TH350, both are easy to get. The overdrive would make it so much easier on the mpg and let it drive over 60 mph.

Things like AC upgrades would be considered later.

This also means I plan on selling my '70 Caprice once the engine is back and running, and fixing a couple other things on it. I am still debating on what to do about the engine right now. Whatever money is left over from the sale would be used to get the Impala's body work started.
      Last edited by Scott Liggett; August 2, 2014, 03:27 PM.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

put a mild cam and new rings and bearings in the caprice...

The manual trans on the 55-72 chevy trucks is mounted to the bellhousing, which is mounted to a crossmember, there is no rear mount. If the mopar trans has the normal Chevy bolt pattern on the front, then you can just bolt it to the truck bellhousing...after you make sure the center hole is the correct size. If the mopar trans has a special bellhousing to bolt to a Chevy engine, then yeah you'll need a new rear crossmember for it. I understand that they made those Mopar overdrive transmissions to fit Chevys, two different ways. Which do you have?

that would be a nice swap.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          put a mild cam and new rings and bearings in the caprice... The manual trans on the 55-72 chevy trucks is mounted to the bellhousing, which is mounted to a crossmember, there is no rear mount. If the mopar trans has the normal Chevy bolt pattern on the front, then you can just bolt it to the truck bellhousing...after you make sure the center hole is the correct size. If the mopar trans has a special bellhousing to bolt to a Chevy engine, then yeah you'll need a new rear crossmember for it. I understand that they made those Mopar overdrive transmissions to fit Chevys, two different ways. Which do you have? that would be a nice swap.
          Its the GM version like what is in the Impala. It uses standard GM 4 speed bellhousing stuff. Looking at the trucks at the yard today, the th350 cross members just bolt to the frame.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

but you don't need a rear crossmember....the trans mounts to the bellhousing, and hangs there. Just make sure the front bearing retainer on the trans fits properly in the hole in the bellhousing, the size changed in 67 or 68. The older SM420 uses the small one (same as cars), the SM465 uses the bigger size like most 70s-80s trucks.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

You can get an indexing ring to adapt pretty cheap from Novak adapters. And by the way, sell that SM465 on pirate4x4.com, lots of guys would love to have that box.
              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                You can get an indexing ring to adapt pretty cheap from Novak adapters. And by the way, sell that SM465 on pirate4x4.com, lots of guys would love to have that box.

It worked great when I drove the truck. As long as they come and get it. Damn thing is heavy.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Made a V bracket on an extra floor jack saddle that firs right on the PTO plates! Works good!

Comment

Working...
                  X