Took my wife for a drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took my wife for a drive

Now that the Cutlass is my official daily-driver and my wife needed to make a run to the local mega store last night, I figured I would take her for a drive and see what she thought about a wide-open throttle run through the gears. After getting some gas, I headed for the freeway on-ramp. Once on the ramp I mashed the throttle, up to 6,500rpm, 62mph, shift...gets a little loose and sideways, straightened it out and kept my foot in it....then suddenly - no throttle peddle and the engine is idling and car is coasting. The friggin' throttle cable snapped! Pulled over to the side of the freeway under a light and popped the hood. Not only did the cable give way, but the cable end is nowhere to be found. Rummaged through the left-over debris in my back seat for something suitable to rig and external throttle and found a length of speaker wire. Tied off one end to the throttle cam, routed it though the cable bracket, out between the cowl seal and hood. Meanwhile my wife is looking super pissed, but I know that's for show. She was trying not to laugh. I got back into the car, grabbed the speaker wire through the window and gave it a tug. The engine responded, but the effort required to get a response was high and there was a lag in the return. But it worked. Put it in gear, pulled the wires, got it up to speed and rejoined traffic on the freeway. Looked over at my wife and cracked my big-ass goofy smile and she lost it. Haven't seen her laugh that hard in years.
    1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Back in the day when strange coincidences like that happened she'd be burned at the stake.

Comment

my wife is an amazing person, but her one fault is she won't do loud cars.... thus, she's been in my Corvette once for about 1 mile....
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob
        What you get for showing off... Like doing a cartwheel and landing on your head
        Was telling my wife, she asks,"Old car?.. He should know better, rusty cable ". Lol

Comment

that is something I have not done yet...

even the clutch cable is manual on a stage 1 pressure...28 years old.

the kick on the cable is too much timing... a 327 taught me that years and years ago.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            my wife is an amazing person, but her one fault is she won't do loud cars.... thus, she's been in my Corvette once for about 1 mile....
            my dad is the quiet car type... and took me to the lake when I was a kid, maybe 8 years old, to ride in an open header 428 Pontiac powered 18 foot Stevens v-drive flat bottom without warning me at all that it might be a little LOUD. I was hooked on LOUD instantly, after my initial load the swim suit with poop reaction.

I think it's great she laughed at you, that's the right way to handle a mcguyver trip on the highway.
            Last edited by Beagle; July 30, 2014, 09:55 AM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

my dad is the quiet car type... and took me to the lake when I was a kid, maybe 8 years old, to ride in an open header 428 Pontiac powered 18 foot Stevens v-drive flat bottom without warning me at all that it might be a little LOUD. I was hooked on LOUD instantly, after my initial load the swim suit with poop reaction.

I think it's great she laughed at you, that's the right way to handle a mcguyver trip on the highway.

my earliest memories (beside the whole coating the hallway carpet with Vaseline) is of my dad warming up his 37 Chev Coupe dragster....
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

i used shoe string once on a demo derby car
                Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
                  i used shoe string once on a demo derby car
                  Paracord makes good shoe lace..
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                  X