No announcement yet.

Thinking out loud...Murdersickles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you ride a rice rocket anything like I do and it goes down you're dead either way about it. Congrats on the new bike.

Comment

I liked my Arai.. Shoei seems to have their own sizes.. Another manufacturer's measurements are larger than Shoei.. Best to try them on instore, unless you already know brand and size then online is cool. Like Dan says, replaceable inners s very nice if you sweat alot.. One I got now has vents you can open for air..

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        That half helmet (what I call a "beanie") is just about useless - maybe worse. In an accident it can pivot on your head and chop you at the base of your neck - wheelchair. And that's not theoretical as that HAS happened. Set it on your head and see where it would hit you at the back.
        I went all the way and bought an Arai - that's a $1,000 helmet though we got a small discount. I got it at Butler Seats in the Charlotte area and they have a couple of actual fitters. Most shops don't have anyone who can fit a helmet properly. When you get it all settled on your head and quickly twist your head from side to side the head and the helmet should move together with no relative movement. Arai is one of the few companies that actually makes different sized shells for different sized noggins - most just add padding for small heads like mine. Good helmets have changable cheek pads and other means to fit it properly.
        The DOT cert is crap and not much more than no cert at all. Look for the Snell foundation label - your helmet should be an "M" for motorcycle. One of the reasons mine was so pricey is that it's an SA (car certified) which has fire-resistant padding and a thicker face shield for greater fire resistance.
        My MC helmet is a Bell and is OK but it sure ain't my Arai! I ride so little these days (except to take The Boy around the circle on the scooter) that I figure it's enough. But if you ride on the road I can't stress full face strongly enough - and it keeps the bugs out of yer teeth.
        Now after all this helmet talk - the bike looks GREAT! LOVE that sucker. Have fun and watch for women in big cars. I always took the attitude that they were actively trying to kill me and that seemed to work to keep me out of accidents. Men in big cars might be equally dangerous........
        Dan

Great advice, thanks Dan.

I am leaning full face or modular. I've been reading reviews and tests on various helemts there are a handfull of Bell helmets that are Snell and DOT and they are priced reasonably with excellent reviews so I will look at them. Budget doesnt allow me to go full on $1K helmet. I also have a buddy who is my size who is selling his suit, I can pick it up pretty cheap. It's got all the pads and sliders and such to keep one from becoming hamburger should you go down. I'll go out here in a few weeks and shop helmets and take my course. I cant really do much unitl things settle down here at work.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

i recently purchased my first bike as well, although I DID go with the "smaller cheap in case you F it up" plan. its a 650 single suzuki. I keep telling my wife that I am going to buy this helmet Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	959609
          Last edited by 1badmonkey; August 15, 2014, 08:53 AM.
          Charles

Comment

I'm pretty much just repeating what I learned at the seminar we had at the ECTA - and from my fitting at Butler. Joe Timney gets experts to come in from time to time and teach us how much we don't know.

I think you can get a decent helmet from Bell or Shoei. The seminar guy said that my Bell fit OK except there was a lot more helmet than there was head (the shell was way bigger than it needed to be which is a PITA if you're trying to fit in around a cage). Also, it's an "M" helmet. I think I paid about $250 for the Bell.

Another nibble in the "food for thought" department. What color are heat sinks in most electronics? Black, right? Because black attracts heat as it attracts light. So why do you want to put a black helmet on your head, especially in your climate? I'd stick with white or light silver which reflects the most sunlight and therefore heat. I think either color would look great with your bike.

Dan

Comment

I agree 100%, not a chance in hell I am gonna buy a black helmet! The one I want to look at is red white and blue and matches the bike very well...It is mostly white and for me that is important...How guys ride out here in balck helemts is beyond me....
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
                i recently purchased my first bike as well, although I DID go with the "smaller cheap in case you F it up" plan. its a 650 single suzuki. I keep telling my wife that I am going to buy this helmet [ATTACH=CONFIG]n959609[/ATTACH]

Ah, the Bruab Edition

My first helmet was silver and my current one is red.

Both my brother and my best friend have laid over a motorcycle, both times at around 35-40mph, both times from inexperience on their parts, and both times wearing shorts and a t-shirt, and fortunately a full helmet. Both of them got serious road rash on an arm and leg but no other injury. A decent pair of jeans and a motorcycle jacket would have gone a long way in both cases.

Only time I roll out of the house on the bike in a t-shirt and shorts (maybe once a year?) is on a local errand or to the softball field at the end of my street, and even then it makes me nervous and overly cautious. Ely doesn't even have that much traffic relative to real cities. Otherwise I'm in jeans and my motorcycle jacket. If I'm hitting the highway I wear my steel toe boots too.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

by far and away my favorite painted motorcycle helmet
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

with that said, there are some pretty clever helmet designs

Comment

but you really need this shirt

and your wife this shirt

and in a random, politically incorrect thought, this one too

Comment

One of David's (Rack4U) kids has an alien helmet that's great. I can't remember if it's Garrett or Celeste.

Dan

Comment

BTW, that bike looks clean, nice purchase.
                          Ride clean and you will have thousands of miles of fun with that. It's got the tall screen and the a good flat seat, that's more of a touring bike, than a sport bike now which I think will suit you perfectly. Just remember, motorcycles are not dangerous, but are not very forgiving to mistakes.

The biggest self preservation skill that you will need to learn is hard braking, It's one of the things you learn racing that translates directly to street safety. When you are on a nice clean road alone, practice jumping on the front brake ONLY with a quick, progressive motion on the lever. Not a 'Stab', that will upset the bike. Then squeeze it increasingly until you feel your at the limit of braking. (You will not be, but it will feel like it) DO NOT use the rear brake under hard braking unless you are in wet conditions, even then it's not necessarily needed. If a motorcycle is at peak braking, over 90% of the weight is on the front wheel as it's weight transfers forward. Done properly, the rear tire is barely skipping on the pavement, or even hovering a bit over the pavement. If you use the rear brake, you will cause the rear to drag, which will cause a 'tail wagging' effect. keep the bike straight, and let the front forks 'dig in'. If you watch any road race on TV you can see exactly what I'm talking about. The more you practice, the more comfortable you will get doing it. It's a skill used all to often.

On a big bagger or a chopper, the motorcycle dynamics are such that you would use the rear brake more often, but on a sport touring bike, sport bike, or even a standard the rear brake will cause way more trouble than it will help.

The rear brake on a motorcycle is a misunderstood lever, The biggest use of the rear brake is to reduce speed in a corner with minimal effect on the front suspension. On a race track the rear brake can be used to turn the vehicle under braking 'backing it in', but nothing you would ever do on a street bike. Well, backing it in on the street is kinda fun.

Comment

Check this out

Exotics, classsics, muscle cars, motorcycles and more! Book your next private or corporate event! Find out about our Consignment program. View photos and details at Celebrity Cars Las Vegas serving Las Vegas, NV

Comment

I'll throw in a riding technique video for your new rice rocket.

You've seen that truck on Counting Cars A.K.A. Counts Kustoms

Comment

Working...
                              X