I Outlived My Website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Outlived My Website

The other day I had somebody told me, "Dude, your website's down, the home page is just a white screen, nothing there."

Well....I built it all on MS FrontPage, what they now call a "legacy" software. It's no longer supported by Microsoft and no longer accepted by the folks who host me on their server. Folks somewhere in Arizona. Folks I've paid for 15 years, but I'll never meet 'em.

Spent about a half hour on the phone with them today, the software I've used is toast. Edsel toast. No more. The lady on the other end of the phone walked me through the process to at least upload the home page one more time and get the site back up, but that's it. Done. No more updates ever, not with my software.

So the site's frozen. I'm trying to draw a parallel, something philosophical. Let's imagine you tweaked on a car for 15 years. Not every day, but steady. Always went back to it. Let's say that all of a sudden you found out that they no longer manufacture the gas that it takes to run that car. You can't get it, no matter who you are. So now you can sit and look at the car, that's all.

Or you can start over and start building a new car. But you don't know how to work on it. Some foreign job with left handed bolts and you don't have the tools or the knowledge to mess with it.

What would you do? I would just sit on my butt and say that was a real good run, a whole lot of years. A shitboat lots of hours. Thousands. And all for fun anyhow. And so it was good. And it still is. It can sit here and I can look at it.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

The planes I worked on went to junk, outlived since the 60s, drawn up in the 40s and driven into the 2000s.
    my father is 63, and the plane was older than him.

my approach to stuff ending ended up a lot different. My rotors have SAE bolts on a subaru today (someone claimed it was the first brembos for japanese).. the cold air intake has a heater.
    just go with it.

I left off on web sites with a program called web dwarf, it is only bigger than ever now.
    find the right server, it would be robust anyway.
    a what you see is what you get and only better if you know codes. I was using dynamical menus when they were new.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 31, 2014, 04:57 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Good bye weeville, you had a good run.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

looks like pretty straightforward HTML page to me - what are you gonna lose if you edit it in something else?
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Neil (nesabo) might be able to help ...

Comment

Gladly.
            Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

You KNOW I'm useless on this deal! Good luck.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                looks like pretty straightforward HTML page to me - what are you gonna lose if you edit it in something else?
                Right now I'm unconsciously incompetent. That is, I don't even know what all that I don't know.

They (the server-provider) are hawking WordPress. I downloaded it and looked at the fileset....a whole bunch of .php files, whatever that is. I stared at it and it stared back. I'm totally clueless what to do next.

Forever I've been using file transfer protocol to upload my stuff to their server. And that's the part that no longer works and they no longer deal with FrontPage extensions, whatever they are.

I've got over 30 thousand objects on the site (total) and every .htm is built with Front Page of course....and ... well, I just don't know.

Maybe Neal can say, "All you gotta do is plug in a compatible anomolator app and invoke the "Poof" command," and it'll all be converted over to some new platform that automatically updates itself daily, based on what I'm thinking at the time, not even any keystrokes required, just telepathy.

Comment

PW, sent you an PM. Like Beagle said you are not doing anything crazy on your site. Front Page had MS proprietary crap, that will not convert easily, like forms. Again did not see any on your site.

There are many free online editors, or you can buy one. Better off finding one that is open source, should be maintainable for awhile.
                  Neal

Comment

Cool, thanks so much Neal! I'll dig around. Right now I'm just stand-back intimidated. You have to remember, my little Fred Flintstone flip phone won't even take a photo. And the rest of me is equally wired and tech-savvy. They keep throwing new software and platforms at us at work, and....<<insert photo of a man screwing his eyeballs around crazy and jerking hard on his hair trying to pull it out in gobs>>>

Comment

this is just building you up so when Ford tells you the same thing about your Mustang, you have the fiber to handle that challenge
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        this is just building you up so when Ford tells you the same thing about your Mustang, you have the fiber to handle that challenge
                        A challenge is an opportunity that we didn't ask for. And fiber is for folks who are irregular, trying to get to be regular folks.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                          Cool, thanks so much Neal! I'll dig around. Right now I'm just stand-back intimidated. You have to remember, my little Fred Flintstone flip phone won't even take a photo. And the rest of me is equally wired and tech-savvy. They keep throwing new software and platforms at us at work, and....<<insert photo of a man screwing his eyeballs around crazy and jerking hard on his hair trying to pull it out in gobs>>>
                          How did weeville get started?? you had to do something to get it up and running.
                          Neal

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo View Post
                            How did weeville get started?? you had to do something to get it up and running.
                            I bought FrontPage at the store and figured it out and got a web hosting service and the rest is history. The folks at the web hosting place were mighty patient. On the phone. They must have been saying to each other how much of a dimwit I was, me trying to upload the first things. After that, life was grand. Easy.

Comment

I sent you my #, let me know when you need help.
                              Neal

Comment

Working...
                              X