Source Interlink or whatever they are can simply bite me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    you think it's because you crash cars....
    In my case, probably because I'm big... and opinionated..

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
      I let all my subs expire, have a stack of CC and HRM sitting here I barely looked at. They killed High Performance Pontiac too, but I haven't had a sub to that in a year either. Somewhat irritated they bought a bunch of magazines and now they are killing them off. How long till HRM goes away but we get to keep Car and Driver and Motor Trend? Print is dying, everyone is online, and its about profit over customer satisfaction.

I have enoughChevy information to last me a few lifetimes. If I ever hit me head and wanna build a 383 so I can throw away 455s, I already know how to build it. Its all you see in print, SBC this, BBC that, Ls swap into everything, and magazines telling everyone that even Pontiac guys don't like our engines, and that they are bad for road courses and crap. That's why I haven't bothered to renew. Same can comparisons, intake swaps, and other crap we have read a few hundred times. Once in a while a ford, Mopar crap that nobody really cares about because it costs more than two Buicks and a flathead, and Chevy in a Pontiac articles over, and over, and over again.
      all that old stuff got rare..
      I wonder what magazine launched small blocks into the millions..still found today for 1.99, needing rod bearings or something simple.
      I am glad they lauunched an engine and focused.
      drop prices, create that endless overhead of parts we all need.
      I am just finding LS well beaten but workable in the thousand dollar range. Still terrible, they need to make a few hundred million more of them.

I relate to an engine that gets no attention, a bullet proof liquid cooled boxer with forged (no choice) crank...
      it is painful. We are all Lucky to get a focus of a good modular something.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Print magazines are on the way out, as the newer generations of computer minded kids are get older, magazines will become a thing of the past. Even online mags are sucking, seems they are just reaching for content to report on, even here on BS 99% of the articles they write don't interest me so I just skip over them(this is on Facebook). It also seems the online mags are just repeating stuff they find on the internet that others have already reported on, I call them the repeaters. And it's cool to report on all things racing, but the problem is not everyone is into all things racing, so it comes down to supplying enough content about what type of racing people like to keep them coming back, because it's a lot easier to just go to a site that specializes in your type of racing that your interested in and not have to deal with all the other BS that your not interested in. Plus you end up being with like minded people. And in the future for any of these mags/sites to survive they are going to need to make their sites interesting, a place were people want to go and feel excepted and enjoy the content and be free to say what they want. I always say the biggest dagger for an internet forum is when they start policing what people say and deleting their posts, that tends to piss people off and reduces the loyalty they have to the site. As for racing in general, it's on it's way out, track attendance is dismal compared to the past and I count this to the fact that for the normal blue collar working guy the hot rod hobby is priced way out of their price range. And if they want to compete competitively they will never be able to afford it. Sadly racing/hot rodding has become a rich mans hobby and there aren't enough rich guys willing to support it.

P.S. A little note, BS's page views per visit are down 20% over the last 3 months, sure hope that is not a sign of a sinking ship......
        Last edited by BigAL; August 3, 2014, 01:33 PM.
        The Green Machine.
        http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Motor Trend sucks balls.
          I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
            Motor Trend sucks balls.

I'm still shaking my head at the obvious brain trust that would think I give a damn about new, import cars.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The sent me Street Rodder for my unexpired R&C subscription. I wish they'd killed it instead of R&C. Or sent me Hot Rod Deluxe instead . . . .

I expect they'll send me another copy of HRM each month to make up for canning my Pop Rod subscription . . . .

I strongly disagree with TC/BIG AL's suggestion that "racing/hot rodding has become a rich mans hobby and there aren't enough rich guys willing to support it."

There's plenty of stuff that doesn't cost all that much, from building Grassroots Motorsports 20XX Challenge cars to simple bracket racing in the non-Super classes. And enterprising guys and gals with basic tools and imagination can build interesting stuff out of JY parts . . . Polishing aluminum, porting, strategic lightening, and fabricated body mods often don't require a huge bank balance to accomplish. So a lot of broke guys need to quit coveting the megabuck pro stuff and get out there and build something more fun and faster than stock . . . Just like the broke old timers who started this sport did long before there was 1-800-Summit or even HRM . . . .

Comment

Rod and Custom is gone. That sucks, but it's life. Today I got its replacement in my mailbox. Motor Trend.

Really? how about admitting you have nothing for me and refunding my money?
                I got it too instead of my normal High Performance Pontiac. I guess all the Pontiac fans will have to settle for the latest Kia/Scion roadtest instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Regal View Post

I got it too instead of my normal High Performance Pontiac. I guess all the Pontiac fans will have to settle for the latest Kia/Scion roadtest instead.

me too, I guess? no advisory just got the MT which I have avoided all my life, sheez
                  a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Regal View Post

You'd think they'd at least send you Super Chevy instead . . . .

I guarantee that if they try to send me the awfulness of Motor Trend or Automobile magazine, TEN is going to get slammed hard . . . I wonder if there's a potential class-action suit here (or does something in the SIM bankruptcy and/or fine print protect them from one?)

Comment

Originally posted by 38P View Post
                      You'd think they'd at least send you Super Chevy instead . . . .

I guarantee that if they try to send me the awfulness of Motor Trend or Automobile magazine, TEN is going to get slammed hard . . . I wonder if there's a potential class-action suit here (or does something in the SIM bankruptcy and/or fine print protect them from one?)

Maybe use anti-slamming laws?

Comment

and another thing... .so I used to subscribe to Off-Road magazine. It died previously, so they started sending me Dirt and Off-road magazine. Okay, I'd never subscribe to it (Alex, you think money drives hot rods, you ain't seen nothing until you see desert racing) - but I'm okay with it. The reason I subscribed to Offroad magazine was I was tired of the strictly Jeep/Toyota coverage of any of the other 4x4 magazines. I know this is hard for some to believe, but just as not everyone drives a 68 Fastback/69 Camaro/shoebox Chevy - not everyone has Jeeps.

and the purveyor of that tripe was Mr. "you can't teach me anything" Rick Pewe.... who is now the new editor of Dirt and Offroad magazine. Prior to the merge, Dirt magazine had articles like "how to spend more than 10k on lighting systems" or "is one million dollars enough to build a good front suspension?" now, with him at the helm, we get "dirt-cheap Toyota pickup build" and the promise of "more Jeeps"

So, let me get this straight, Offroad failed because of these stupid "if you don't own a Jeyota, all we are is ads" publishing, and Dirt thrived because it gives a glimpse of what will, eventually, trickle down to the masses by focusing on unobtainium.... yet now we have "you can't tell me anything" Pewe running a magazine that is in existence because there's lots that Pewe doesn't know.... yeah, this is going to work out well.

Comment

Got the MotorTrend today.
                          I'm still learning

Comment

(Alex, you think money drives hot rods, you ain't seen nothing until you see desert racing)
                            I have a buddy that races trophy trucks and I know a couple of guys that build motors and chassis for them, yes, BIG MONEY!!!!!!
                            The Green Machine.
                            http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                              Got the MotorTrend today.

Send them a nasty-gram email, I got a response from them today - they're refunding my money.

Originally posted by BigAL View Post

I have a buddy that races trophy trucks and I know a couple of guys that build motors and chassis for them, yes, BIG MONEY!!!!!!
                              It's easy to have 1 million in your truck and another million in support stuff - time me the head scratcher is this: the guy I know who's got that set up doesn't, actually, go race... he simply blasts around the dunes and desert, I guess if you've got it ...
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 6, 2014, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X