The Latest Party Schools Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Latest Party Schools Report

If anybody's a parent with college kids, this might me some news, or probably not. From the Princeton Review.

It used to be when I was young, Playboy Magazine had the corner on the annual "Party School Report." Since I don't follow things much anymore I don't know how Princeton Review took over that honor. I mean, who actually goes and observes and decides these things? Somebody has to win. And somebody decides. And probably somebody who's not there all the time.

Back when I was a puppy, the University of South Carolina was at the top of Playboy's party list for a year. I went there for a rock concert that year, by coincidence. I went into one of the dorms, where my friend was lodged. There were kids running down the hall and doing the slippy-slide thing all the way down the long hall, sliding on puke. On a Tuesday night.

TOP 20 PARTY SCHOOLS
    1.Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York
    2.University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
    3.University of California-Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, California
    4.West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia
    5.University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois
    6.Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
    7.Penn State University, University Park, Pennsylvania
    8.University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wisconsin
    9.Bucknell University, Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
    10.University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
    11.Miami University (Ohio), Oxford, Ohio
    12.Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida
    13.Ohio University-Athens, Athens, Ohio
    14.DePauw University, Greencastle, Indiana
    15.University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia
    16.University of Mississippi, University, Mississippi
    17.Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana
    18.University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont
    19.University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon
    20.University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware

TOP 20 SOBER SCHOOLS
    1.Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
    2.Wheaton College, Wheaton, Illinois
    3.U.S. Military Academy, West Point, New York
    4.Calvin College, Grand Rapids, Michigan
    5.Thomas Aquinas College, Santa Paula, California
    6.College of the Ozarks, Point Lookout, Missouri
    7.Gordon College, Wenham, Massachusetts
    8.Grove City College, Grove City, Pennsylvania
    9.U.S. Coast Guard Academy, New London, Connecticut
    10.City University of New York-Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, New York
    11.City University of New York-City College, New York, New York
    12.Wesleyan College (Georgia), Macon, Georgia
    13.U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland
    14.Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, Needham, Massachusetts
    15.City University of New York-Queens College, Flushing, New York
    16.Mills College, Oakland, California
    17.St. Olaf College, Northfield, Minnesota
    18.University of Houston, Houston, Texas
    19.Nazareth College, Rochester, New York
    20.University of Dallas, Irving, Texas

Having been in Salt Lake City for two days, I think we can might as well weld Brigham Young U into the top spot for sober now and forever, just by proximity to what I saw there some miles away.

And on both lists, look at the range of locations. There's not a trend on the map at all, either way. So there's crazy spots and church mouse spots. All over. All I'm saying is....I don't know what I'm saying, that's what I'm saying.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Way back in the 70's it was Ft. Hays State here in Kansas..... a teacher's school.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I always wonder what the criteria is for both party and for sober schools. I know of several colleges that don't allow alcohol, and most of the student body abstains.... not a one on the list. As for party schools, I don't get that one either - University of Oregon is mild compared to Oregon State University (they're about 20 miles apart) - but really, what would you rather party with - a Beaver or a Dick... errr Duck? (not that there's anything wrong with that).
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 4, 2014, 05:09 PM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Look at Number 4 on the Drunk List. Let's be honest, that's what it is. West Virginia.

Unit and I were travelling to Pittsburgh when her parents were still alive. Time to eat, the sign beside the interstate said Hardee's. Never found it. Got lost on the campus. Go there and see that. Morgantown. It's the most depressing-looking college town in America, I'll ante that. Their athletic arena is up on top of a hill, a great view of it northbound, it looks like an alien monolith from the interstate. It's charcoal grey in dry weather but when it rains it turns black. And it always rains in West Virginia. And a row of beer stores right there on campus. Catering to....well, there it is.

The one bright thing we saw was a little tram system, bright yellow cars buzzing around, they didn't even fit into the scenery. They stood out like a Roman candle.

I mean, what else is there to do there but drink? Yeah, and maybe get an education. That's a depressing sight.
        Last edited by pdub; August 4, 2014, 05:33 PM.

Comment

let's see... My sister went to Iowa, My brother in Law went to Iowa, I went to Iowa, and Now, My Only Niece is at Iowa for Pharmacology... Does that make us a party bunch??? OH HELL YEAH!! Go Hawkeyes!
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

My only college time was given a room at a fraternity, and we were the only party people. university of maine orono. I was actually hiding there after a media type event.

It is good to see an extreme, what happens to buildings and people. That building was bordering all done.. like a center street apartment in bangor.
            I ended up very typical in my alcohol learnings, after witnessing extremes.. stopped at age 23. No taste for it at all. Before then, it was college like party time, whenever.

some drink to feel bigger. I went that social route to come down to earth... bad idea. I'll keep flying.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I thought IOWA stood for I Owe the World an Apology.?

Comment

We should appologize for Arizona stealing a great basketball coach??
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

University of Wisconsin use to be #1, slipped to #8?
                  When I use to visit there in the late 80's it was CRAZY.

Things ain't what they use to be, and that's probably good.
                  Last edited by mike343sharpstick; August 5, 2014, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GFogg View Post
                    I thought IOWA stood for I Owe the World an Apology.?
                    come on now. get it right. clearly it is Idiot Out Wondering Around. Last year we where number one on this list and slid to number 2. just goes to show you that the East/West coast don't have all the fun.

Comment

It's all pretty amazing, the fact that there's a list at all. If I hadn't been on the Carolina campus the year they were on top of the list, I'd never give that list another thought when it comes out.

That was waaaay back then, but having seen it, the "winner" that year....Yep, they were sliding down the hall on puke and the reefer smoke roiling out of every open door of every dorm room was so thick that kids would actually slide out of sight about ten feet from where you were standing. You couldn't see any farther. And shall I point out again, on a Tuesday night.

What'd you learn in school kid? "Uhhhhhh...I don't remember." Gyash amighty.

Comment

Working...
                      X