Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hotrodfords View Post
    Billy Idol (twice)
    Wow....here I go thinking and tying together again....back when I was playing in the Main Street Blues Band in Rock Hill SC...a house band at a beer joint/restaurant called For What It's Worth (great name)....there were about 9 guys in the band but only about 4 of us would ever practice together. The rest would show up on Friday night and just play. It literally was an open mic thing grown out of control. We were beyond terrible but we sure had fun.

The co-lead singer, his sister was singing backup with Billy Idol when White Wedding was a hit. He noted one time, it's weird when the last time you've seen your sister in a few years was on MTV. When Billy's big run ran out, the sister ended up married to a mean-sounding guy who owned?/ran one of the music halls in Myrtle Beach. He, by her description, forbid her from mingling with the musicians there (mostly old and recycled big names) and for sure would not let her sing with them.

So one night at the beer joint/restaurant in Rock Hill, she showed up. Snuck out to have fun and sing with us. At the end of the night she made a point to come up to me and say, "You're just AWESOME." What a dadgum lie. I think she "awesomed" all of us that night.

My brush with second string fame.

Okay, carry on.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

~~Jeez, let me think. In order, kinda. The most widely used place for concerts was affectionately known as "The Hollywood Snortatorium" in the boonies of Broward County FL at the time.
      Kiss
      Uriah heep
      Pat Benatar
      Bruce Springsteen
      Bob Seger
      Pat Travers
      Rush
      Lynyrd Skynyrd
      Kansas
      Foghat
      Aerosmith
      Cheap Trick
      Heart
      ZZ Top
      Charlie Daniels Band
      Bangles (for the wimmins)*
      Go-Go's (for the wimmins)*
      Van Halen
      Jimmy Buffet
      Little feat
      Jackyl
      Hank JR (might not count cause, well, you know)
      Foreigner
      Def Leppard
      David Bowie
      Duran Duran
      Georgia Satellites
      System of a Down
      Korn
      Kid Rock

That's all I can recollect right now.

"Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Well, you asked... Here's the ones I remember.
        Queensryche
        Suicidal Tendencies
        Ozzy (x3)
        Metallica(x2)
        Pantera
        Sepultura(x2)
        Type O Negative
        Jackyl(x3 or 4)
        Alice In Chains(x2 or 3)
        Damn Yankees
        Black Crowes
        Guns And Roses
        Stone Temple Pilots
        Foo Fighters
        Isaac Hayes
        Van Halen
        Drivin and Cryin
        Black Stone Cherry
        Fuel (x2)
        Marcy Playground
        Wayland
        Anthrax
        Skid Row
        Les Claypool
        POD
        Monster Magnet
        Corrosion of Conformity
        George Thorogood
        Reba Russell
        Ugly Kid Joe
        Soundgarden
        Great White
        Trixter
        Slaughter
        Cowboy Mouth
        Pearl Jam
        Sonic Youth
        Tesla
        Candlebox
        Barenaked ladies
        Allman Brothers...

There's tons more, not even including all the club bands I saw over the years. Once counted them up, there was something like 100 bands that were considered big names at the time that I've seen. Plus I've lived a block or 2 away from different outdoor concert venues more than once, so if you count those...
        Last edited by tedly; August 8, 2014, 04:49 PM.
        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Orange95Z View Post
          ~~
          Go-Go's (for the wimmins)*
          Yep, them too. One of the ones I left off of my list. They were....that drummer had it going, she WAS the show. The other ones, not so much. The overall effect was, the drummer should have found a better band.

Okay, carry on.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post

Wow....here I go thinking and tying together again....back when I was playing in the Main Street Blues Band in Rock Hill SC...a house band at a beer joint/restaurant called For What It's Worth (great name)....there were about 9 guys in the band but only about 4 of us would ever practice together. The rest would show up on Friday night and just play. It literally was an open mic thing grown out of control. We were beyond terrible but we sure had fun.

The co-lead singer, his sister was singing backup with Billy Idol when White Wedding was a hit. He noted one time, it's weird when the last time you've seen your sister in a few years was on MTV. When Billy's big run ran out, the sister ended up married to a mean-sounding guy who owned?/ran one of the music halls in Myrtle Beach. He, by her description, forbid her from mingling with the musicians there (mostly old and recycled big names) and for sure would not let her sing with them.

So one night at the beer joint/restaurant in Rock Hill, she showed up. Snuck out to have fun and sing with us. At the end of the night she made a point to come up to me and say, "You're just AWESOME." What a dadgum lie. I think she "awesomed" all of us that night.

My brush with second string fame.

Okay, carry on.

Well,my 2nd cousin was married to Charlie Rich's daughter for several years. I met her when I was 5 or so. They have two kids together.

My grandpa and his band played bluegrass more times than I could count with The Cox Family. They have and still do work with Allison Krauss a bunch,and they were in the movie "O Brother Where Art Thou?" They've also backed up Bill Grant and Delia Bell quite a bit. Bill Grant was in Bill Monroe's band. So I've had some 2nd and 3rd string brushes myself.

First Concert was Kiss in Pine Bluff,Arkansas in 1979. I was in the 4th grade. It was great! Most of these concerts were at Barton Coliseum in Little Rock

Ratt
            Bon Jovi
            Van Halen/Bachman Turner Overdrive
            Monsters of Rock(Metallica/Van Halen/The Scorpions/Dokken/Kingdom Come)
            Cinderella
            AC/DC (3 tines)
            Queensryche
            Poison
            Ted Nugent
            Tesla
            Def Leppard
            Loverboy(With Dokken in a rodeo arena in Texarkana!)
            Bullet Boys
            Winger
            Guns N Roses(rode a bus to Memphis to see them with Soundgarden)
            The Cult/Bonham/Tora Tora
            Motley Crue/Whitesnake
            ZZ Top (3 times!)
            Southern Culture on the Skids

Alabama at Pine Bluff/Little Rock/Birmingham and at their June Jam with a whole bunch of folks!

3 Doors Down twice. Once with the Hollywood Kills (great band!) and once with Blackstone Cherry. I would say Blackstone Cherry probably put on the best show of anyone on this list!They rock!

Kenny Wayne Shepherd twice! Awesome,Awesome!!

Tom Petty

I've seen Metallica 3 times! The last time was on the Black Album tour,and I got ticket number one! My friend and I camped out for tickets! I've seen several of the bands on here more than once also.
            I'm sure I've forgotten some too,and some on the list are forgettable. I had fun though!!
            sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

Originally posted by Karberator View Post

Guns N Roses(rode a bus to Memphis to see them with Soundgarden)
              That was an awesome show! Did you catch the bassist for Soundgarden wandering around the halls of the Colliseum before the show?
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Bachman Turner Overdrive
                Van Halen
                Pat Benetar
                Charlie Daniels Band
                Foreigner IV
                Beach Boys
                Doobie Brothers
                Eddie Rabbitt
                Trace Adkins
                Terry Clark
                Montgomery Gentry
                Aaron Tippen
                Blackhawk
                Sawyer Brown
                Toby Keith
                Brooks and Dunn
                Reba
                Tim McGraw and Faith Hill(before they got hitched)

and others we couldn't remember...
                Last edited by silver_bullet; August 8, 2014, 05:17 PM.
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
                  That was an awesome show! Did you catch the bassist for Soundgarden wandering around the halls of the Colliseum before the show?

No,but that was an amazing show! I got home at like 6 or 7 in the morning. It was a pretty decent party going over on the bus too. Now the Pyramid is getting turned into a Bass Pro Shops after pretty much being abandoned for several years!
                  sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

WHAAA?.. Nobody watched Creedence Clearwater Revival? .

Comment

WHAAA?.. Nobody watched Creedence Clearwater Revival? .
                      Wish I had seen them back in the day!

My first concert? Paul Revere and the Raiders at the Cotillion Ballroom. I was 12. Oh, yeah - "Kicks", "Hungry", "Cherokee Nation", all that good stuff!
                      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by Karberator View Post

No,but that was an amazing show! I got home at like 6 or 7 in the morning. It was a pretty decent party going over on the bus too. Now the Pyramid is getting turned into a Bass Pro Shops after pretty much being abandoned for several years!
                        That was my senior year in high school. I was the driver for a bunch of my friends, didn't make it home until about the time first period started. That was the show that put an end to camping out for tickets in the Memphis area. Me and my buddies rotated waiting in line at Cats Music for 3 or 4 days, as was normal then. There were fights and arrests at ticket venues all over the city, they said no more campouts after that.

I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                        X