No announcement yet.

Distraction of the Day (DOD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and I have a parts motor for you here.... some friends had a ski boat with that same motor in it, it was very, very slow. It did encourage me, though, to learn how to shore start. You'd back the boat up to you, tell them to hit it and hopefully, by the end of the 75' ski rope, the boat would have enough speed to keep you on top of the water. Just by way of comparison. If you tried deep water start, you'd be so tired by the time boat got you on top of the water (presuming you could hold your breath for a minute while it submarined you) that it seemed kind of pointless.
    My jet boats (either of them), you took one coil, when the boat idled to where the rope was tight minus the loop, you'd drop the rope in the water and yell hit it. The point of the coil was to give people reaction time - any more and your arms would come off, any less and you'd submarine (it'd pull you out of your ski and onto your face).
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 16, 2014, 05:33 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

A Tri-Hull, nice. Those generally ride nice, very stable and predictable. I had a 21' MarkTwain Tri-Hull, 250 Chevy with mercruiser, eventually swapped in a 292. Fun boat. I approve whole-heartedly.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        and I have a parts motor for you here.... some friends had a ski boat with that same motor in it, it was very, very slow. It did encourage me, though, to learn how to shore start. You'd back the boat up to you, tell them to hit it and hopefully, by the end of the 75' ski rope, the boat would have enough speed to keep you on top of the water. Just by way of comparison. If you tried deep water start, you'd be so tired by the time boat got you on top of the water (presuming you could hold your breath for a minute while it submarined you) that it seemed kind of pointless. My jet boats (either of them), you took one coil, when the boat idled to where the rope was tight minus the loop, you'd drop the rope in the water and yell hit it. The point of the coil was to give people reaction time - any more and your arms would come off, any less and you'd submarine (it'd pull you out of your ski and onto your face).
        Where you there when we self-taught water skiing? Sounds just like a eye-witness accounting of the experience. You speaketh nothing but truth.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

missed out on the free craigslist LSC Lincoln today. Guess I'll go pull the 250 six cylinder out of Miss Distracted Guppy and see if it will turn over.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

You know, I'm sitting here thinking maybe I should name the damn thing "Miss Directed Energy". I've been out of town for a week or so and should be paying attention to the yard, or the car in the garage, or SWMBO's honeydo list.

The floors are trashed which means... the stringers are trashed. Probably smarter to part this thing out. Anybody have an interest in a 160 hp six cylinder Chevy and pre-alpha Mercruiser drive with controls? Special BangShift Pricing!
            Last edited by Beagle; August 30, 2014, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Maybe the 7/8 roundy crowd that runs 7/8 scale 40's cars?

Comment

Speaking of distractions... Location X doesn't have city water and I know nothing about water well repair. Toting water from the house is a pain and we all know women have a certain affinity for things like sinks and flushing toilets. Rather than carrying 30 gallons of water in 1 gallon or 5 gallon jugs, I bought two of these for an interim solution (food grade):

I leave one there, and fill it from the second one that I fill here at the house. Now, being an idiot, when I buy it I hear " It has 2" connection" but I don't verify it. Yeah, it's 2" into a cam-lock (firehose) type setup. Of course the camlock fitting won't budge. Some judicious shopping at Lowes Depot and I find out I can cram a 1 1/4" -> 3/4" pvc plug adapter into the camlock adapter. $2.31 USD later, I get it home and find it's off by a hair.. chuck it up in the drill press and sand a hair off, and it looks like I'm in business. In that 2.31 I also got a 3/4 pipe to hose bib adapter, so I can use a garden hose and gravity to fill supply tank one, then more gravity to provide house with water.

I'm kind of amused with myself at the moment. I'll figure out the well setup later, I need power to the barn for that to work. Clearly it would be smarter to have just fixed the barn's power situation and fix the well pump, but that's just not my thing (being smart. Out clevering myself is a lot more fun).

Anyway, if you find yourself wanting a hillbilly watering contraption for hunting or whatever and have a camlock adapter but don't want to spend the 20.00 and wait for the proper camlock adapter -

plus this

equal 275 gallons of portable potable city water. We'll see how the big red truck handles 2200 pounds of water in the next installment of "Living the dream, a city boy's attempt at being a hillbilly"

Comment

good lord, I guess those images could be bigger.

Comment

Need a well pump? Harbor Freight has a 3/4 hp one in either SS or cast iton with the bladder and pressure switch for less than $100 on sale most times.. Hook up your pipes, plug it in and go.. I find I have to lower the pressure cut off so it does not keep running when the water is hot.. If you have a dribble, it will cycle on/off..

Comment

I think it's got a submersible and most of the wells around there are 150 feet or more deep... I'm not sure how deep this one is.

Comment

Well dawg, you can have the plumbing shiznit, I much rather be messin wit lectrical stuff.

Me thinks you could use a 300' tape and some bob weight. I'd be glad to help if I was going to be in the neighbor hood but I'm having trouble getting out of my own.

OMG...long day and it's s h o w I n g...
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

My moment of amusement was short lived as I realized my uber economy solution required a 15.00 tube of goo to melt polyethylene to PVC. Never even dawned on me - they ship superglue IN polyethylene. lmao - outclevered myself again.

This junk is the only epoxy / bonding agent I can find that claims to be able to bond PE.

Last edited by Beagle; September 20, 2014, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X