Trouble in Paradise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble in Paradise

I went to the grocery store this morning, ho-hum, and was coming back home and everybody in the neighborhood was outside buzzing around and pointing and talking and stuff.

Maybe two minutes before I got home...A really old lady who lives two doors down from us pulled out of her driveway and mowed down our mailbox and Superman's mailbox and kept on going. Superman's wife was livid, she watched it happen from out in their yard, chased he car up the street on foot trying to get a tag number. Boy was she ever pissed. Leaving the scene of an accident.

No measurable harm, by the time I pulled back into the driveway from my short trip downtown the mailboxes were back up.....the kids propped them back up...yes, there ARE good kids here. But there should be some test for old folks driving. What if those mailboxes had been kids?
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

There are too many old folks who just WILL NOT give up their keys because they want their independence. I understand, I really do. But they have yet to understand that their right to drive DOES NOT exceed the rights of the public to NOT HAVE their lives taken or their property demolished. Simple as that.

My Dad quit 12 years years ago when he got an eye disease and his depth perception went bye-bye. Sold his truck to the oldest grandson, and that was that. Called family or neighbors for a ride to the doctor or do shopping. No whining or complaining, and he always offered gas money.

I refuse to ride with my Mom anymore - she's not safe. I have tried to get her to give up the keys, but it's no use so far. One day soon I will TAKE THEM away, and catch hell for it, but she'll still be here and the van won't be dented.

It's still America, damn it - but some folks should see the truth of things and do what's right.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

No SHIT!!!

What is an arbitrary age to start a mandated annual driving test for those that aren't as spry as they once were?

To avoid the paper box problem (mailbox is on the house in my 'hood) I made my own post from 4x4x1/4 angle iron after my box had been taken out twice by the neighborhood tweaker. He wrote his opinion of it on the paper box one night after taking out the boxes of several other neighbors. I guess he wasn't so out of it to realize his vehicle would get hung up on my idiot catcher.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
        There are too many old folks who just WILL NOT give up their keys because they want their independence. I understand, I really do. But they have yet to understand that their right to drive DOES NOT exceed the rights of the public to NOT HAVE their lives taken or their property demolished. Simple as that.

My Dad quit 12 years years ago when he got an eye disease and his depth perception went bye-bye. Sold his truck to the oldest grandson, and that was that. Called family or neighbors for a ride to the doctor or do shopping. No whining or complaining, and he always offered gas money.

I refuse to ride with my Mom anymore - she's not safe. I have tried to get her to give up the keys, but it's no use so far. One day soon I will TAKE THEM away, and catch hell for it, but she'll still be here and the van won't be dented.

It's still America, damn it - but some folks should see the truth of things and do what's right.
        I didn't see it, I was about two minutes late on the scene - Superman and his wife went down there to interview the daughter. Daughter said they'd taken the car keys away from Granny twice. My question is, why do you let her have them back the second time? That's .... that's.... I have nothing of constructive value to say.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post

I didn't see it, I was about two minutes late on the scene - Superman and his wife went down there to interview the daughter. Daughter said they'd taken the car keys away from Granny twice. My question is, why do you let her have them back the second time? That's .... that's.... I have nothing of constructive value to say.

I wonder if I was on here when I got the 63 Olds Convertible? The owner's Grandma had knocked every corner of it, they took the keys away several times - she had a locksmith make more. They figured they were safe because the brakes failed in the car from sitting. Grandma got another set of keys and took out the neighbor's car.... damn old lady was pretty crafty. So they gave me the car, by that time the motor was frozen (and no brakes) and it'd sat outside for awhile... a friend fell in love with it, and I sold it to him for the money I was out getting the car.... he sold it.
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 9, 2014, 11:02 PM.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I backed over a mailbox accidentally when I was 14 and didn't have a license, and wasn't insured for the truck I was operating.. oh the horror.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

In this area alone, there has been two hit and runs on a well-populated area of town, they caught the first one that killed the poor kid and the other i have not heard anything about. The kid that died was 18, but they found the guy he was 28.

The older grandma and grandpa that want the independence meanwhile they are threats to themselves and others or the younger kids which is worse?

My mom does not drive so i take her shopping, I can see her flinch when people merge onto the highway or gasp for air she's a total wreck and it's a double duty for me to calm her down and drive.
              Last edited by Runner1972; August 10, 2014, 01:52 PM.
              "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by Runner1972 View Post
                My mom does not drive so i take her shopping, I can see her flinch when people merge onto the highway or gasp for air she's a total wreck and it's a double duty for me to calm her down and drive.
                My mom, at the end of her driving career, would plot a huge circle around town. Going way way way out her way, miles out of her way to keep from having to make a left turn in traffic. She was terrified of making a left turn.

Comment

Working...
                X