Need a computer commando

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a computer commando

OK... my damnable cable company service guy tells me I need to upgrade my modem to a DOCSIS 3.0 for best speed of service.
    Apparently, what I have now is a 2.0 (Motorola) that Cox gave me.

Any recommendations on what I should purchase?
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

ebay has some cheap. I just gave mine away..my locale does not even use it. I moved unexpectedly, it was brand new.

the 2.0 should still be working forever.
    3.0 has an identifiable multithread upload, not just down.
    I notice nothing but the light claiming multithread.

broadband is dirty.. but I am getting old.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

That would not be me (computer commando). We've got a cable service with a hand-bought wireless router. When we had worlds of trouble the provider sent us a new modem. Pow, there ya go, Unit says no money involved.

I don't know what all those fancy numbers mean.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

First question I have would be what prompted the service call?

Motorola makes a fine cable modem, Cox usually will install that modem on their installs.

Comment

Are you doing monster huge terrabyte downloads or have 5 people connected?
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

First question I have would be what prompted the service call?

Motorola makes a fine cable modem, Cox usually will install that modem on their installs.

I am tired of my modem simply going off-line for 5 minutes at a time, numerous occasions throughout the day. Cox says they see no problems at their end. And....it seems slower than hell. Cox has swapped out the Motorola modem several times, no improvement. Their guy finally told me to upgrade.

Comment

swapped modem several times and same problem is probably not the modem. Tell them to "Prove it" - give you the new modem for a test drive.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Next question, Is there a wireless router in the mix?

Comment

Next question, Is there a wireless router in the mix?
                  Nope. 1 wire from the wall to the modem, straight into the Dell (maybe THAT's the problem?).

Comment

Whew!, I had visions of a computer geek with no underwear on.........glad it's a modem problem. Really hope you figure it out.
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

occasionaly I've had wires get tripped over and then no workee, but usually it is something else. My experience with these modems is they either work or they don't. Intermittent issues are usually the service provider's fault.

Comment

This has been going on the better part of a year. I'm finally pissed enough to do something about it.
                        So, again - recommendations?

Comment

Mine was wonky.. Lsing service.. As a test, I bought. Long extension for a phone, plugged it in the box outside nd brought it in the house thru the door.. Worked so good, I used it for 3-4 years after running it thru th wall.. Then it went wonky again.. Phone company supervisor after talking to me realized I knew it was not on my end, admitted it was in the box up the road and where a new line was added up the street.. After they fixed those problems, mine was fine but not "proper" so being nice she had her workers add the right box in the house, abd the proper wires no charge.. .. I would say it is a box that recently got workedon up the street or ran over by a car..

Comment

Next time it's not working get on the phone to COX right away. Document the time of day it is off.

There are also speed checkers online to see if you are getting the correct speed. Century link recently moved my line to get
                            my speed up from 2mbps to 10+. I have free 12 mbps = + or - 20%

Nick

Comment

Next time it's not working get on the phone to COX right away. Document the time of day it is off.
                              Dude. Come on. You think this is my first attempt to get service?
                              I have been fighting with these bastards for over a year. Sometimes I call multiple times per week. The service guys HATE to knock on my door, 'cause they know I'm gonna jump in their chili.
                              After 3 new modems they gave up and told me to buy a new one.

And NO ONE here has recommended one to me yet. Guess I'm on my own.
                              Last edited by studemax; August 12, 2014, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X