SBG's Buick problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBG's Buick problem

So I took Buick over to WSU to have a vasectomy (now his balls are merely decorative)... but that trip really threw me off on getting fun stuff done

It took me 7 hours to do a normally 5 hour (4.5 at my speeds) drive. Eastern Washington was full of fire, so I got to take a detour behind some jerkoff in a Leaf (I kept hoping he'd run out of electricity... but no, 25 mph for 10 miles)... all to avoid one fire. The other major route was closed because they are widening the highway with dynamite. So I got to the 2 lane highway well later than planned. Came over a hill, deer in my lane - facing the other lane... figured I'd play roulette and go behind him, that was probably the wrong thing as I hit him (killed him). Side air bags went off (why, dunno), couldn't get out the driver's door and the seatbelt was locked. Destroyed the fender, hood, headlight, driver's door, and he got a kick in the passenger door before bouncing off down the highway.... I hate bambi.

Once I got to a town (I figured I might as well keep going since it ran), I stopped and apprised the damage. The colorful locals were more concerned about whether or not I knew that I could butcher the deer that I'd hit... fortunately one of them have a texas toothpick to cut the air bags out of the way.

So, rather than working on fun things, I've been putting this thing together. When we bought the car, it came pre-dented by the PO so we got the car for a pretty good deal.... so time to fix it all.

because the car was pre-dented, I'd already bought a driver's side fender to replace the slightly dented original... good thing I didn't have time to put it on before now

As you can see, Buick is no worse for wear and is quite helpful.

such a cute little guy

strangely, though, the new shop dog is Kensie - my wife's new bloodhound... she helps... ish

fixed the rear door

I've decided that if someone gives me grief about one side not being the same as the other, I'll go into a "it gets better mpg because they needed better aero on the passenger side"

effing deer

I ordered a new door skin for the driver's door. After the fiasco last time of trying to get the computer to recognize the new door when I replaced the rear, passenger door... I figured skinning would be easier.. it was... ish
    you have to take these bits off the old door as they don't come with the new door - fortunately, it's easy to get the glue off with a bit of heat

and now the question - why isn't the airbag sensor touched? why did the bags go off? until I answer that question, I'm not plugging in the new stuff

so after 10 days, I finally get the hood - don't use Autowhatever - they're part of JC Whitney and terrible to deal with
    and the hood was dented... at least I got a $100 discount for that bs

is making sure I'm doing a good job

and we're getting close

hopefully I can finish the bodywork tomorrow and spray it tuesday... or wednesday as I just remembered that I've still not ordered the paint.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

ugh. looks like work...
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
      ugh. looks like work...
      ...and when it's done, it's still a fwd VW.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

he was worried one side did not look like the other.
        the engine is sideways, lopsided and crammed to one side...

silly observation.

I just got back from a foggy chore to brownville maine, that is the beginning of nowhere... now just past midnight.

Through the wall fog... a deer just crosses the breakdown lane in the right direction.

I make a lot of noise, even the roof rack pipes whine...

make some noise next time. it works.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

which explains why I've really never posted anything about this... my wife doesn't get it - in fact, she wanted me to "just" change colors... I told her I loved her, just not in those words (I think I used the word fruity).

Comment

So what IS the new color? Something fruity?
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

15 min color change.
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Use more Bondo! It helps cars be strong...

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                he was worried one side did not look like the other.
                the engine is sideways, lopsided and crammed to one side...
                Dang...diss'd by a Subaru guy, that was a little harsh, don't you think, Barry?.......

Seriously, it's nice to do your own body work, I've always found that gratifying. Even at first when the results really looked like crap. That air bag sensor...those are like a tuned device that senses the initial shock wave that travels through a car, long before (millisecond-wise) any area is actually being crushed. They do get fooled once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                  Use more Bondo! It helps cars be strong...

Dang...diss'd by a Subaru guy, that was a little harsh, don't you think, Barry?.......

Seriously, it's nice to do your own body work, I've always found that gratifying. Even at first when the results really looked like crap. That air bag sensor...those are like a tuned device that senses the initial shock wave that travels through a car, long before (millisecond-wise) any area is actually being crushed. They do get fooled once in a while.

This would be my second vehicle where I've fooled the sensor... fortunately the first time it didn't go off.

to me bodywork is a necessary evil - but I don't enjoy crafting a fender out of the stuff - however, I enjoy changing quarter panels on a commuter car even less... thus, you and Barry obviously mistake me for someone who cares that one side isn't like the other...

Comment

You can only see one side at a time.

It helps cars be strong - - you owe me a keyboard Loren. That was subtle.
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

What did the deer not have insureance? Why not drop it off at the body shop? I thought bondo over paint was a no-no, to be applied to bare metal only? while it will always be a wrong wheel drive VW I always like seeing body work done. As a TDI owner I can say I love the 600 mile tanks on the $50 fill ups (If I try a little bit) one of the running jokes at my house is I tell my 8 month old daughter that she will be driving the jetta when she turns 16, and my wife says don't worry Daddy will never keep a car that long.
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                        That air bag sensor...those are like a tuned device that senses the initial shock wave that travels through a car, long before (millisecond-wise) any area is actually being crushed. They do get fooled once in a while.
                        This and there is also some complex logic to the air bag deployments, usually based on multiple sensors reading and triangulating the shock it's reading. IMO, it was likely sensing a shock from the side of the fender and figured it was a side impact. It's got to react before the real impact makes it to the passenger compartment, and you know they'll error on the side of caution.
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

This and there is also some complex logic to the air bag deployments, usually based on multiple sensors reading and triangulating the shock it's reading. IMO, it was likely sensing a shock from the side of the fender and figured it was a side impact. It's got to react before the real impact makes it to the passenger compartment, and you know they'll error on the side of caution.

there's no sensor in the fender... there's one behind the grill, one in each door, and one behind the bumper... that it went off is troublesome. H3s, early ones, have trouble with the airbags going off while bouncing along off-road. This hit wasn't even as hard as driving down a gravel road at 30 mph... it also shut the motor off when I hit - so it is safe to presume that it was a g-force reading that caused the deployment. I guess it's fortunately that it only set off the seat, and the curtain airbag... still, it was totally unnecessary.

We bought this car for cheap because of an accident, it's been in accidents 3x since we got it a year ago... why, in all that's holy, would I ever spend a minute more on this car than is necessary to avoid the dreaded crap-car-stop? I suspect that this car will become a TDI donor vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            there's no sensor in the fender... there's one behind the grill, one in each door, and one behind the bumper... that it went off is troublesome.
                            Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                            usually based on multiple sensors reading and triangulating the shock it's reading.
                            Calculating(triangulating) from the sensors that the shock was coming from the fender. Probably because there is no sensor in the fender its estimation of the impact's severity was off, so it errors on the side of caution.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

We bought this car for cheap because of an accident, it's been in accidents 3x since we got it a year ago... .
                              That's three accidents your good cars didn't have to be in then... maybe? Sounds like a good deal to me. Usually it's the nice ones that attract collisions while the pos's march on forever.

If one of the previous accident's repairs involved the frame being pulled out near where the latest hit happened, there is a slight possibility that affected how the sensor set read the impact also due to shock waves being transmitted differently. As I say, slight. All I know is when they develop that stuff it gets the livin' crap tested out of it, over and over. Brackets and components live on shaker tables for millions of cycles then the entire body gets crashed from all different angles and any tiny thing that happens or gets changed causes a whole new bunch of tests.

As it happens, all my really great car crashes were pre-airbag and I've never blown one off and don't know what it feels like.

Comment

Working...
                              X