Guess the horsepower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess the horsepower

I have a set of very high power electric motors on order for a compression project I'm working on at work. I received the first set of drawings recently. I knew these were going to be big, but I have to admit the little scale man figure in the drawing really surprised me. Really puts the size in perspective. Anyone want to guess power rating of this motor? It is rated for 11,000 volts and operates at 3000 rpm. Dimensions are 30'x22'x17' and it weighs 628,000 lbs.
    Attached Files

Jeez...what the heck are you compressing? I wouldn't have a clue where to start, guessing horsepower.

Comment

Hmm, doesn't sound like too much =P I'd say 2,000HP continuous.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I do not know what it is..
        internal combustion in front of a generator?

I could identify the "little scale man"

5000hp?

my dad and brother was in bucksport maine, in the little boat. A fuel tanker was coming up the river, in the current with 2 tugboats. He said the engines were so powerful, you could feel the water shake as if on land..

Some of those got the elusive 4 stroke v12, dual stacks etc. incredible. I could only guess those had the inline jackhammering the planet..as the v12 is a gentle giant.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 18, 2014, 08:44 AM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Mining is always biased up, just for giggles I looked up our grinding circuit specs. If you are using more than 2,000HP, I'm with Loren, just what the heck are you compressing?

Our 32ft diameter SAG mill runs 10,000HP and each of our two 20ft diameter ball mills run 8,750HP. We average around 2,000 tons per hour at around 15kW-hr/ton for just the SAG mill. Which is what, 30MW of power? Which sounds about right for what I've recalled hearing. I believe we bring power in at 17,000 volts.

Comment

30MW! Holy crap! I'm glad I don't have that electric bill (Mrs. Speedy's already mentioning how much the electric bill for my shop has gone up in the past few months. Bangshifter's Tip: Don't put your shop on a separate meter . . . . )

With the Houston sig of the OP, I'm guessing they're compressing a lot of natural gas.

Comment

Not knowing a lot about that application I'll note that the motor is about the size of the 600 HP DC dynos I worked with. So based on nothing but size I'm guessing 600 HP.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by 38P View Post
                30MW! Holy crap! I'm glad I don't have that electric bill (Mrs. Speedy's already mentioning how much the electric bill for my shop has gone up in the past few months. Bangshifter's Tip: Don't put your shop on a separate meter . . . . )

With the Houston sig of the OP, I'm guessing they're compressing a lot of natural gas.

Our power bill is over a million a month, you want to hazard a guess on our diesel bill? 26 trucks, averaging around 800-900 gallons /day, plus two big loaders, two diesel shovels that use at least that much, and a ton of "smaller" equipment like dozers and graders...... Oh, and that 30MW doesn't include our two electric shovels (one moves 80 tons of rock per scoop) or the pumps utilized to move 14,000-23,000 gpm of water a minute around the site
                Last edited by TheSilverBuick; August 18, 2014, 11:36 AM.

Comment

So thats what they mean by ecomomies of scale!
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

So far the horsepower guesses are way low. It takes more than 3 zeros to get there.
                    Yes, these motors are going into a natural gas processing facility. However, they will power refrigeration compressors, not natural gas compressors.
                    The 628000 lbs is driving our construction planners nuts.

Comment

Wild guess . . . 15,000 (the biggest large-frame AC motor Baldor lists on their chart)

Comment

I'm guessing 6000 hp... it is a little smaller than our 8000 hp chiller motors that we bought military surplus from the pentagon...
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

The motor is rated at 100,538 hp or a nice even 75MW for you metric folks. There are 3 of these per refrigeration train . We are building 2 trains now and have an option on a third train. Rumor has it that the electric utility company is running a new dedicated 138kV line for this facility.

Comment

DANG! That's even more powerful than my Benz Diesel!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Aircooled View Post
                              . . . 75MW . . . the electric utility company is running a new dedicated 138kV line for this facility.
                              Holy cow!

The utility company's always busting our chops about "smart hours" ("big brother" management of your home power consumption) or spending more to buy LED light bulbs . . . but then they sign up to sell megawatts in huge volume to the big boys.

Sort of like when the city complains about lawn watering** but then sells 500,000+ gallons of treated drinking water to a well fracking operation. Or when some politician who flies around in a 700,000-pound jumbo-jet that burns 36,000 gallons in a ten hour flight (~ 1 gallon every second) preaches to me about giving up my V8s for some tiny sub-one-liter hybrid "clown car" . . . .

Rant over. . . . 75MW!

[img]
                              http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/4/47738/1631280-doc_brown_full.jpg[/img]

-------------
                              **I'm not all that sure why anyone would want to promote more grass growth . . .

But then I'm guessing my neighbors aren't too happy with my landscaping this year. While it's not Burt Munro/"World's Fastest Indian" bad, I'm certainly not obsessing about lawn care and feeding as much as everybody else is . . . I mean, if the city's not writing you a ticket, aren't you mowing often enough?

Hijack over.
                              Last edited by 38P; August 19, 2014, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X