Bizarre Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizarre Tires

Watch breaking news videos, viral videos and original video clips on CNN.com.

Tweel Tires

Allot of you folks have already heard of the Tweel Tire/Rim, I'm sure. But this video is pretty good and gives some details I had not read about before...like how it performs with an IED....or on the moon. There's a battery ad before the vid, so be patient.

Mike in Southwest Ohio

Re: Bizarre Tires

Cool Stuff...

Comment

Battery add? I got the cool travel add with Shatner and the flat front van!

Steve
      Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

No Tweel Tire/Rim, I got a report on Pakistan. >

Comment

Bummer - I tried it again and it worked ok just now...... But just in case... if your interested -

For more than 100 years, vehicles have used pneumatic, or air-filled, tires. Michelin's alternative is the Tweel Airless Tire. Could it replace traditional tires?
          Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I was just lamenting on my good fortune with the commercial. I watched the video. They seam to work fantastic new but wouldn't the rubber develop a memory?

Steve
            Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Very cool technology.
              .. just think how much weight reduction is possible with this set-up.

Comment

I think they have their work cut out for them. Its great idea, but the materials they need to make this work well, may be hard to develop.
                Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Check these out from 1920.

See it large at http://www.shorpy.com/node?page=56

Comment

"Trublepruf Tires" that's great

Wrinkle-wall Tweel, anyone?
                    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I saw a show on this tech awhile ago, and I think the tire actually weighs quite a bit more then a normal tire.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by malc
                        Check these out from 1920.

See it large at http://www.shorpy.com/node?page=56
                        That's pretty neat...Is anything actually new?
                        Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                          .. just think how much weight reduction is possible with this set-up.
                          Originally posted by Buickguy
                          I saw a show on this tech awhile ago, and I think the tire actually weighs quite a bit more then a normal tire.
                          Interesting, but I was refering to the entire wheel assembly (tire & wheel).
                          I don't see how it could weigh more from what I saw on the video.
                          .. but I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.

Comment

Well ya made me curious. So I found this... Its a quote from another article on the tweel.

"The Tweel prototype, demonstrated on the Audi A4, is within five percent of the rolling resistance and mass levels of current pneumatic tires. That translates to within one percent of the fuel economy of the OE fitment.

Additionally, Michelin has increased the lateral stiffness by a factor of five, making the prototype unusually responsive in its handling."

Ok.... But where are the white letters gonna go? Maybe they'll make 'em in neon colors?........oh..no....................

Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Here is a truck sporting those drilled thru tires.

The BIG pic,
                              http://www.shorpy.com/node/3919?size=_original

Comment

Working...
                              X