Y B Normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y B Normal?

How often do you realize you're not even close to being normal? I have that epiphany every few weeks. If it was only something like the 65 GTO, rust bucket that would/should have been crushed by almost anyone else to decent looking driver, that is only a certain kind of abbey normal. Then throw in the ethanol thing, 700hp street bound Pontiacs, enjoying building junk that hauls ass, needing a huge shop to work in because I cant have just one project at a time, living in the great white north when I could live somewhere I could drive my cars more than two weeks a year, and the latest idea.... I have a bunch of WS6 stuff laying around, a handful of A bodys they will bolt to, some extra 17" wheels, and I just watched the latest Roadkill.

It dawned on me that we here, along with Freiburger and Finnegan, share some abbynormal tendencies. He started this, but really we were this messed up before CarJunkie/Bangshift came along. People look at me funny, tell me to sell all my old crap, or most of them, keep one, and enjoy the money. Problem is, I like doing this more than I like money. I like it so much I run myself broke constantly just so I can do this stuff faster! Imagine if I wont the lotto, a couple hundred million, what kind of a problem would I be for the local community then? I cant leave anything stock, even when I wanted to when I bought it.

Why do you do the car thing? I know why I do, because its the bright light in my life that allows me to dream and see it done. its my reason for being, the direction I chose more than 30 years ago, and I dont want to change it, but I realize its not 'normal' to anyone, not even most other gearheads. Really, what drives you? Why do you like what you like? Would you ever want to change, or spend your money and time somewhere else? If you could do nothing but play with your toys, build whatever you liked, go anywhere, would you still do the car thing? Is one or two enough for you, or do you have some form of Automotive Attention Distraction Disorder?

If you could build something, anything, and not have to pay for it but you get to keep it, what would it be?

Comment

With Freiburgers new website hitting over 26000 likes in what appears to be less than a day Id say you're a little more normal than some would like to believe.

Comment

Liking something is different than actually doing the kind of crazy stuff he does. More than a few of us here are nut job builders, we do things because we can, or we would if we had the time and place to do it. Most people like to watch the mayhem, but they dont want to own as many cars as David does. I know lots of 'car guys' who take it to shows, then park it in the garage until the next show. The garage isnt a place to do a frame off, and they have no desire to beat an old Charger like those two do.... but how many of us have that desire? Who here wouldnt love to flog the Raunchero around a course like that having stupid fun?

Comment

My along with many others biggest issue is cash flow, other bills need to be paid that take priority. That being said, if you have a money machine laying around I'll take two.

Comment

Ship one of them to Barry.

Comment

I tried "normal" once. It didn't fit - not my size. On the other hand I had a pretty normal working career (sorta) but I used as a way to finance my life, not AS my life.

Anyhow, I like doing 1 at a time but doing it weird. Like a 215 in a Vega or a BB Buick in a C-10 pickup or a Benz Diesel in an S-10. I do have an ability to focus on one project at a time and I feel more comfortable with that.

But hats off to you, Todd. Love what you do and I hope you soon have a place to do it.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Casper View Post
                Ship one of them to Barry.
                using junked tractor trailer parts.. anything is possible.

I only keep going realizing I built my own stuff to a wavelength where conversation is not easy....since I was 15. Broke everything that was not supposed to, and interacted with physics only the sun flaring in a night sky could offer.

Most people built my car and served my military tour, and probably wore my underwear too..

a journalist knows how this gets, they are seriously pro in more than cars.

A little boy was outside playing here, approaches me every time I have my hood up. He has has a stash of matchboxes...an age where he is putting two and two together, the wrong trailer from another matchbox rig to the wrong rig etc etc.

it is in little guys, and they never lose it..even if a vehicle is easy earned, all ready to go..there is always something. Some keep it to tires wheels and suspension.
                if one can acknowledge nothing they buy is ready to go...hot rod is forever.

to further answer thumpins question..
                the one thing I would just add parts premade... the powerstroke or duramax, a 2wd, dropped, with a 5 speed. Unpredicted in my own path, as I am alone... the slower I get, the bigger the foot pounds.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 20, 2014, 09:44 AM.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                  How often do you realize you're not even close to being normal?
                  every time I drive one of my old cars, and I'm the only one out on the road in an old car.....

have you seen my latest? if that's not abnormal, I dont know what is.

I have no idea what's wrong with me. I think I've been this way since I was a kid. I probably got it from my dad, he was rather odd, too. With other stuff, not cars.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

"Normal" is a setting on my dishwasher.

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                    If you could build something, anything, and not have to pay for it but you get to keep it, what would it be?
                    I'd build a 74 Nova convertible. The goal would be to make it look like a factory production model.
                    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                    74 Nova Project
                    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                    79 Chevy Truck Project
                    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

There is so many cars Id want if I had the dough like I hit the Lotto or some big windfall. I get so much enjoyment out of keeping my old cars on the road seeing others doing the same its the same as a guy that restores an old home or whatever.

Comment

Y B normal when you can build a pink car like the "HEY THUMPIN" thread? ......it feels so good to watch him put on a show like that and still have a car for the next show... Driving onto the trailer is a BONUS!

Comment

I realized I wasn't normal way back in kindergarten. If I won the lotto I'd have the world's nicest '71 Montego.
                          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Normal people creep me out. Lack of exposure to them I guess.

If I didn't have to pay for it? Car wise it wouldn't change, at least for the first 2.
                            1. My TBird, full roll cage, mini tubbed, 4.10 gears, six speed, aluminum driveshaft, Coyote either supercharged or twin turbo (or both), aluminum driveshaft, mondo brakes, fuel cell, custum rear spoiler, cowl hood, custom front splitter, belly pans, lowered, custom suspension pieces...
                            2. 68 Charger, slime green, roots blown 528 Hemi, T56, mini-tubbed, leather interior...

Non car wise, the house, shop, and greenhouse I've been planning for years.
                            I'm probably wrong

Comment

23 Model T 66 Nissan Patrol 69 GTO not normal, but I'm fine with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X