Space Shuttle Discovery Pics From My Front Yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Shuttle Discovery Pics From My Front Yard

The Space Shuttle Discovery successfully lifted off at 7:43pm EST and I got a few shots from my front yard that I thought you all might like to see.

Re: Space Shuttle Discovery Pics From My Front Yard

YOU, my friend, are one lucky bastard.
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Steve, THAT is f'n awesome.

THANKS for sharing that. It sucks that we as a country take the space program for granted. Other countries shoot a satellite up and it makes international news. We do this deal several times a year with the "best and brightest" at the helm and it makes page 5 in the paper.

Killer stuff Steve!

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

That's so cool. Could you hear it at that distance?
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

WOW is that cool. Great shots, thanks for sharing

Comment

I've been a NASA fan since I was a wee lad.....

One way or another, I intend to see a launch one of these days....not much hooter of a hot rod than a Space Shuttle.

ANYTHING that can do 17k MPH is bad-ass in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
              That's so cool. Could you hear it at that distance?
              I was wondering the exact same thing? How far away are you from the launch pad? Great pics!

Comment

Steve, Thank You and the Brave men and women that make us proud every time one of our birds fly.

Its just a shame that so many of todays youth think that we are a second class country.
                Reading , Pa
                Good Guys rodders rep.
                "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Cool stuff. Thanks Steve
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

WOW, truly spectacular! Great shots. Thanks for sharing.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I lived in satellite beach for 9 months , when I was there , only saw one launch , columbia , 2003
                      accident , then they had shut down the program for awhile , I was working at sutherlin cadillac on the merrit island causeway , about 5 miles or so from canaveral
                      I didn't even get the pleasure of rocket launchs
                      florida was a gyp in more ways than one

Comment

Great pictures, that is awesome. I've seen (barely) and heard (definately) the shuttle land in California.
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I love the space program. Many yrs ago, my company worked on a video conferencing system that flew on an sts mission. You would think that the space shuttle and all its hardware would be state of the art.

But noooooooo... not at all.

Sure, the science projects that go up are the latest stuff.....but when we bid the operating system for the project..NASA told us to go back two generations of software and use the old stuff !! - It seems that reliability is the only aspect they are interested in when it comes to flight systems. Older hardware has had most of the bugs worked out and is simply more reliable.... I would bet money that there is a computer on that ship that still runs windows 3.1...bulletproof.

Thanks for the pics...You are lucky!

I went down in '83 for a shuttle landing which i HEARD/FELT, but never saw....In the late 90's I was flying home from Miami and as I walked into the jet, I told the pilot that the shuttle was due to launch in 27 minutes and if he would pull over and let a couple other flights take off ahead of us - then we should be right over the Cape at launch. And He said - "Oh no that launch is over an hour away..." I said "no" He said I'll check.........So... As we are taxing, the plane suddenly pulls over and lets two other jets go by...I started smilin' No word over the PA. 12 min later we are climbing out and the PA says..."if you folk will look out the right side of the aircraft, we may get lucky and see a shuttle launch in a few minutes"...wooohooo!!! and then a Cessna violated airspace!!! Damn!!! So bless that pilot, He took a right turn and headed out over the ocean. It took about 3 minutes for the count to resume, and I bet we were 50 miles out to sea when it finally lifted off. I always have a set of binoculars with me when I travel. I always thought that those shuttles flew straight up, but noooooo... it did the rotation and from our viewpoint - 22,000 ft - It seemd to level off and flew just like an airplane, horizontally.

and ya know...we had a helluva holeshot on 'em, but that liquid oxygen mid-range torque just smoked our ass.
                          Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Definitely awesome pics! You've seen more than one launch, I assume. Never gets old, does it? I've never seen a shuttle launch, though with so few of them left I MUST get down there for one. I've seen a Delta 2 launch at Vendenburg in CA and an Altas launch at the Cape, though. And I was lucky enough to be able to get on base and watch them from the pad on up. Those were fantastic, I can only imagine a shuttle.

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                            Steve, THAT is f'n awesome.

THANKS for sharing that. It sucks that we as a country take the space program for granted. Other countries shoot a satellite up and it makes international news. We do this deal several times a year with the "best and brightest" at the helm and it makes page 5 in the paper.

Killer stuff Steve!

Brian
                            We definitely take the space program for granted here in the U.S. The only press NASA gets is when something blows up, because space hardware is so expensive. I'm very interested to see how we react to China, they're balls to the wall right now on their space program. They're set to have a space station in orbit next year, and I'm sure they'll be on the moon within 10 years (I'm betting on 5, personally). Meanwhile, we won't even have a replacement for the shuttle until 2015. That's what they say today, which probably means something more like 2017. Ugh.

Comment

That's so damn cool. Right up there with a pair of fuel cars at full tilt on the goosebump meter. It's a shame CNN gives it a 5 second spot three times the day of the launch and no one covers it anymore. I had a neighbor when I was about 8 or 9 who had moved up from Florida. He used to tell me stories about the launches when ever I wanted.
                              Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Working...
                              X