Guitar Guys - Tell Me We Did OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Guys - Tell Me We Did OK

ME's been needing a better guitar and with her health stuff it needed to be small and with a shorter neck. She mostly plays for some little kids at her church so a big sound is not necessary but she does want a nice, full sound.

So off we went to Raleigh today and after some hunting she decided on a Larrivee P03 which seems to have been made in 2003. The instrument seems never to have been played - there's not a pick mark or a dink anywhere on it or the case. I have a note off to Larrivee for more info (date of manufacture, etc.) so we'll see what they come up with. It's (I think) an "OO" body and has 12 useable frets (12 frets to the neck attachment). The tone is very nice and full for such a small instrument and she's going to try a set of coated strings which we think will work better with her violin calluses.

Anyhow, PLEASE tell me we didn't make a colossal mistake. This seems to have been made in Canada so it's probably held together with Molson's but is holding up beautifully.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; August 23, 2014, 05:58 PM.

Off to Raleigh? Didn't they have one in Mount Pilot?

I can't help on the Geetar, but good luck with it!

Comment

A quick Google search shows that they sell for up to $1300. Never heard of them before but then again I'm not really a guitar person. I think y'all will be OK though.
      Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.
      Last edited by tedly; August 23, 2014, 07:32 PM.
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

Check that, according to their web page, their cheapest model rings in at over $1600 and go all the way up to almost $5000, plus they have a limited lifetime warranty. Wow. We need some song recordings, just to be sure.
        I'm probably wrong

Comment

I haven't guitar-marketed in a real long time, no idea what's out there. Or what that is....
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by Hemi Joel View Post
            Off to Raleigh? Didn't they have one in Mount Pilot?

I can't help on the Geetar, but good luck with it!
            We're no where near Pilot Mountain - we're 100 miles south of Raleigh on the coast - Pilot Mountain is about 100 miles north and east of Raleigh. Wilmington has some pretty decent guitar shops but we wanted to expand the search - it's like finding a wife in that you have to shop around to get what you really want. Anyhow, this one was on consignment so it was only at that particular store.

On the price - evidently one on-line source was cheaper but they generally sold for about $900 - we were quite a bit under that but we didn't steal it. They no longer make that model but it sure has been well reviewed so we're hoping for the best. At least it's all real wood and not plywood (Oops - I mean "laminate") like a lot of the new guitars and especially the smaller ones. And the neck set is a real dovetail so that ought to be there for life.

Thanks all for the input. I was hoping somebody on here had one or had a buddy or - you know the drill.

Dan

Comment

So when are ME and Peewee gonna record a duet for us?
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

No worries, Dan. Larivee axes are good shit.
                Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
                  So when are ME and Peewee gonna record a duet for us?
                  Hmmmm...that sounds like fun.

Hey Dan, get ME to record something (.mp3, .WAV, just a recording). I can lay a track or 7 down on top of it. And then it'll be worse, but it'll be fun!
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

On guitar she's pretty much doing children's Christian songs for the Sunday school class. Not sure it fits the format. But maybe I can catch one of her violin tunes and send that. Might be cool. She does a killer "Ashoken Farewell" which is the theme from Ken Burns' Civil War series. Bet you could enhance that nicely.

Stude - Thanks for the input. We thought that it felt right but you don't know the reputation when you're standing in the music store and trying to make a choice. We also looked at several older Martins but they seemed to be hit-or-miss - some seemed great and others just OK. Some of the newer small Martins are not US made which shocked me. She really liked a 1966 Martin but it was REALLY beat up and you know I'm not a fan of patina. Lots of repaired cracks and the like. The Larrivee looks absolutely unused so any dinks will be HERS! Actually, she's very careful with her instruments and when she's ready to retire it it'll probably look like it does today.

Dan
                    Last edited by DanStokes; August 24, 2014, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X