Will NHRA Attack Outlaw Pro Mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will NHRA Attack Outlaw Pro Mod?

While watching all the record smashing going on in St. Louis Fearless Leader Lohnes speculated Outlaw Pro Mods will be banned or somehow regulated at NHRA sanctioned tracks. I am a big fan of the Outlaws. They remind me of when NHRA went to 500 c.i. for Pro Stock. The first season or so the performances and even the burnouts were shockingly more intense. There was a safety scare. Many times Pro Stock has been called the most dangerous class in Drag Racing. But things settled down to where P/S runs again seem routine. The aero science is better and tech advances like ceramic brakes have helped enormously. The cars seem to me as crash worthy as F/Cs were at least until the Medlin and Kalitta crashes.

I may be a hopeless idealist, but I was very happy to see the PSCA exhibition at Sonoma. Even after last year's Las Vegas records. Maggio goes 5.70 at Sonoma on a regular basis. I had hopes NHRA would have an unlimited SOMETHING class sometime soon.

Brian's main concern was parts being pushed beyond SFI specs. I believe the Rolling gear is more F/C like than Pro Stock. The one marginal area as witnessed at Tulsa is the Transmissions and their use behind Turbos, but the Legal ProMods run similar set-ups.

When Garlits was interviewed about his electric project he said one motivation is that NHRA fuel racing is so tightly regulated it has become spec car racing like NASCAR or Indy Car. Let's hope SOME innovation will survive?
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

I for one hope they do not regulate the Outlaw Pop Mods in anyway.

Jimbo

Comment

Need background checks

Comment

Working...
      X