I admire this guy - author of the modern tort lawsuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I admire this guy - author of the modern tort lawsuit

On September 3, 1900, the first car ever made in Flint, Michigan makes its debut in the town's Labor Day parade. Designed and built by a county judge and weekend tinkerer named Charles H. Wisner, the car was one of the only cars built in Flint that did not end up being produced by General Motors. In the end, only three of the Wisner machines were ever built.
    Wisner's car, nicknamed the "Buzz-Wagon," was a somewhat ridiculous contraption: it was "very noisy," according to The Flint Journal; its only door was in the rear; and it had no brakes. In order to stop, Wisner had to collide with something sturdy, usually the side wall of his machine shop. At the Labor Day parade, however, he didn't have a problem with the brakes; instead, in front of 10,000 spectators, the car stalled and had to be pushed off the parade route.
    Wisner's lemon notwithstanding, Flint soon became the cradle of the American auto industry. GM was formed there in 1908, and the city quickly became known for all the Chevrolets and Buicks--not to mention the engine parts and electronics--produced and assembled there. The sit-down strikes at Flint's GM plants in 1936 and 1937 won union recognition for autoworkers along with a 30-hour workweek and a 6-hour day, overtime pay, seniority rights, and "a minimum rate of pay commensurate with an American standard of living." These victories guaranteed a middle-class existence for generations of autoworkers. In fact, for a long time, Flint had the highest average per-household income of any city in the United States.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

I LOVE torts though cakes are really my VERY favorite. 'Course, since the pancreas signed off they're all off limits anyhow. Not sure I see the connection between your post and baked goods, however.

Dan

Comment

Here are the key words Judge (lawyer) built a car with no brakes.
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 3, 2014, 08:38 AM.

Comment

I suppose that it's not just a recent thing that to try anything new, one should either be a lawyer or have a lawyer. Maybe he could have sued his own company for the embarrassment, then, even if he didn't go crashing into anything... Said to be an artist, poet and musician as well as an attorney and a machine-shop owner, perhaps there wasn't much time left to be working on mechanical reliability concerns and none at all for braking systems development. Hey, why get ahead of yourself? In any case I would be willing to bet anyway that as Flint's fortunes accrued, so did his family's (d. 1915).

Comment

Actually, early cars often lacked brakes. Cugnot's steam car had minimal steering but was AUTO MOTIVE - at least 100 years before Benz. Oh, and no brakes - I guess they forgot about that because they were used to horses which stopped when you stopped "applying power" (prodding the horses). The Germans HATE to admit that the French beat them to the punch.

I still like my "tort" comment.

Dan

Comment

Did somebody say cake?

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
              I suppose that it's not just a recent thing that to try anything new, one should either be a lawyer or have a lawyer. Maybe he could have sued his own company for the embarrassment, then, even if he didn't go crashing into anything... Said to be an artist, poet and musician as well as an attorney and a machine-shop owner, perhaps there wasn't much time left to be working on mechanical reliability concerns and none at all for braking systems development. Hey, why get ahead of yourself? In any case I would be willing to bet anyway that as Flint's fortunes accrued, so did his family's (d. 1915).

It's like meeting my kindred spirit - lawyer, mechanic, no brakes.... I rock all of those things

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                  all inventions evolving forgot security...

tort is an interesting word.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Good place to open a lighter factory.

Comment

Working...
                    X