Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever been more attached to an Engine than a Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever been more attached to an Engine than a Car?

Hello my name is Russell and I have Automotive Attention Deficit Disorder (AADD) Been thinking about what I want for my next project and what I should do about / with my current POSs The 98 will get sold some day, no one knows when or what state it will be when I do. The 79 is still in the field at Dad’s (over 18 months?) I should dump it but I don’t want to realize the loss, and it’s old enough it would not have to be inspected, and it’s a fox body so parts are cheap and easy to find, but it’s very rough. I have a Falcon but it needs everything, not sure if I have the time or money.

Back to the subject at hand The 89, I have had this car for 10 years so part of me does not want to let it go. When I really think about it and I look at the classifieds I can buy a much nicer mustang with fewer miles for not very much cash. So it really does not make since to restore it. Even though it’s really nothing special what I really don’t want to let go is the engine! It is just an Explorer engine (GT40P) with HO cam shorties, 65mm TB / EGR, 73mm MAF. I put rings bearings timing chain oil pump new flywheel and clutch. For what it is it runs well. I have the stock HO siting on the stand (5 years?) I am sure there is used flywheel and clutch around here. It’s a big risk to pull the running engine in hopes to put it back stock and have a running driving car at the end of the day to sell with minimal head ache. The car is pretty much just an oversized run stand for the engine….

Anyone want a well used roller with working A/C ;)
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

no, I have no idea what you're talking about weirdo.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My car stash is only outnumbered by my engine stash, so I'm with SBG, no idea whatchoo talkin' bout Willis.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

The SBC 350 I had built, it's been in two S10s and one Elcomino . It's been pulled for probably nine yrs. The original L98 out of thr GTA is sitting right next to it. Its been on the floor Almost 2 yrs. Yeah , I know what your talking about even though I don't speak Dearborn.
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

No clue. That explains the 3 (count 'em, THREE) 250 Chevy inlines sitting around the shop.

Oh, and the Buick Nailhead that I have no idea of what I'd do with it.

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; September 4, 2014, 08:32 AM.

Comment

I want to build a Buick nailhead engine, but don't really want a car it would look right in. Same with a flat head, I'd like to build one, but don't want a car it would go in. I want to build a Cadillac 472/500 with the 4-6-8 valve train and some boost, but again, don't want a car it would belong in, but I have come to the conclusion my Centurion might get one.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              No clue. That explains the 3 (count 'em, THREE) 250 Chevy inlines sitting around the shop.

Dan
              Dan. I know what you should do with the Nailhead! build a custom trike / cushman. If it has 3 wheels its not a car so you can put motor cycle tags on it or you could "limit" it to 25 mph (or 35 mph dont remember law) and you don't even need tags!

As a Land Speed Racer I think it is ok to put a flat head in anything! There is a Class for That!

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

2 pickup beds full of engine/trannys, barn with several on dollies, 30+ cars between the kid and I, no idea what you are talking about!

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
                  my 250 was gone in the swap, an older "softy" truck restore. no sitting around for that one.

I had an h.o. 305, genune 1984 monte carlo SS I wrecked. That ended up in a v6 camaro swap... after a couple of months in a barn..it was indeed bigger than we thought. Nice 305. v6 camaro is a pile of crap.. the body, every piece.

easy to gain engines more than chassis.

pay attention to those facts... you may gain a pile too.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 4, 2014, 09:09 AM.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

For me, the engine is the heart of every car, so it is hard for me to separate them from the complete package.

Comment

Russel you pretty much described every car I own except the bmw. (Maybe i do like it...ehe) I so love your perspective on things.......

I will start dropping more often.... and even updating threads.

Steve
                      Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Steve will i see you at the end of the month? What about you Dan?

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

I probably won't get to Wilmington. I need to save that money and put it into the S-10. It's really getting close.......

Dan

Comment

My 6.0L has been in 4 different vehicles in its life so far. Will probably go into another car again in the future.
                            1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                            1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                              I want to build a Buick nailhead engine, but don't really want a car it would look right in. Same with a flat head, I'd like to build one, but don't want a car it would go in. I want to build a Cadillac 472/500 with the 4-6-8 valve train and some boost, but again, don't want a car it would belong in, but I have come to the conclusion my Centurion might get one.

You need a street rod to swap engine in & out of as your interests change. All those motors would look right at home in a nice roadster body or 3 window coupe, imo.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Working...
                              X