Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dust to Dust analysis - can we do this discussion without fighting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust to Dust analysis - can we do this discussion without fighting?

I post this as discussion (and hope for civility), and to point out that we're a pretty green group.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Re: Dust to Dust analysis - can we do this discussion without fighting?

Very interesting article. I've been of the opinion for a little while now that pollution is pollution, regardless of whether it's carbon based or whatever else the earth can't handle in whatever quantity we're putting it out in. I've been dubious of battery operated cars and hybrids for that reason - not so much of the technology, but because there's a tendency in our culture to say one thing is 'bad' and another is 'good', and at the present hybrids are 'good' and gas burners are 'bad'. All forms of energy work when applied properly, but we need to diversify what use as a people and be mindful of the complete life-cycle pollution of every form of energy we use and the machines we build to use those forms of energy. At least that's my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions!

Comment

Building this mother was real intellingent. Like putting an extension on the poop chute to get the stench further away.

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I cant wait for those battery packs to start going bad when the cars are out of warranty mucho $$$$ more than the car will be worth

Comment

Originally posted by CooL-NeWeLL
          I cant wait for those battery packs to start going bad when the cars are out of warranty mucho $$$$ more than the car will be worth
          I thought I heard the battery warranty is 10 years by federal law. The rest of the car can be the normal 5 years or whatever. I can't wait to see a greenie weenie have to pay a battery disposal fee (which is racket itself).

Buickguy, not to be a contrarian, but there's also the fact that there's a much larger economy of scale for gasoline vehicle manufacturers and right now hybrids are in their infancy as a technology, given a chance to catch up you could take some of the transportation cost out of the process (Sounds like they're outsourcing the really nasty work of foaming the nickel to china). If electrics and hybrids were a larger part of the us fleet, I suspect the footprint would go down.

I wonder if Kalifornia will ever realize the ammount of polution not building a new car in the first place saves.... yet somehow we're the enviro-terrorists who's cars need to be crushed.

I subscribe to the "drive a car you like, just a lot less miles per year" philosophy. Move next door to work and drive a front engine dragster.
          Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

We had one of our Prius' wrecked, we then took it to our body shop to have it fixed. The battery pack was damaged and only Toyota is authorized to replace it. Their guys came to our body to replace the battery pack at a cost of nearly $5000. Five grand will buy a lot of gas in a Toyota Tercel.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

A good bud of mine is the head mechanic @ a local Toyota shop and told me about this a couple years ago. Some serious issues also to rescue personel also in case of a front end collision.
              "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

toyota pious -- a saint amongst cars
                go for the escalade hybrid - pimp daddy green

Comment

No you don't.

Matt

Comment

Hoofin' it is the only actual green transportation. Every other kind destroys the planet.
                    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

x2 .... or simply put the i symbol on the right side of the number. (infinity)

and yes, it's true that the longer a vehicle is produced, the lower its d2d number goes. One of the cheapest is a Jeep Wrangler - for that very reason.
                      Kind of my point of that article is the incredible cost of building a car. I can only imagine what the d2d cost will be on a Volt.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer
                        Hoofin' it is the only actual green transportation. Every other kind destroys the planet.
                        So that more mobile sweatshops have to build more nike air sneakers?! Capitalist pig! :D

I'm sure california would find a way to regulate it.

Our local fire departments all got trained a year or two ago NOT to use the jaws of life on the roof where the big wires are. Crazy!
                        Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

This new ZR1 is green.

With General Motors hanging on by its fingernails and oil prices as unstable as the whole world's economy, maybe this will be the 'stimulus' to return GM to ...

Comment

DF had an editorial in HR a while back about the same thing. He compared his 72 Ventura (or 73....I'm not sure) to a new Prius. When you factor in all the emissions that goes into making the Prius, it's nearly a wash.

Comment

AAron, post that link on a prius board and see what kind of reactions you get, or how long till you get banned.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X